"Netties", "nav support from nowhere" + "pt boats how to fight"

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alpha77

"Netties", "nav support from nowhere" + "pt boats how to fight"

Post by Alpha77 »

Hi there,

1. It is beginning of the game, seems the Allied has "evacuated" all of his combat ships, as well probably all worthwhile other ships. So no naval targets. Yes, I am aware he can come back suddenly with some raider surface fleet. However the "Netties" basically have nothing to do. Except bomb ground target - which seems a waste. What do you do with them in such cases, train or put on asw or search ? In relation to that I noted that sometimes at bases without an HQ the torpedo weapon is on "yellow" do they bring some torpedoes with them to bases without air HQ? Or is this just an display error ? I also wonder if you put them to search at eg. 2000 or 3000 will they have good chance to hit with the extended bomb load they get on this mission ? Cause they are trained for nav bomb too (not low nav). Or is the nav bomb value not used if flying search, so they would have no better chance than a not trained search plane unit (this unit would be trained much better for search but not for nav bomb)..

2. Noted this often that I get nav support at bases, where no nav support units are and also no HQ in range ?

3. Pt boats seem to be a bitch often times. Eg. I have some Kates but they will not fly against them (even if in normal range and the PTs are shown on the map as a symbol - which means are detected. I know that 100 ft. with fighter bombers works. But if you have none or not trained for 100ft. Also I will send DDs to get rid of them, but mostly they just score 1 or 2 hits and then the boats escape with higher speed.I was only able to sink a PT fleet, cause they seemed to have run out of fuel and so could not flee.

4. For later, as I forgot the other topic [8|]

Thanks.
Lokasenna

RE: "Netties", "nav support from nowhere" + "pt boats how to fight"

Post by Lokasenna »

1. Torpedoes can be provided by any air HQ within command range.

2. Naval support has a radius - nearby bases receive a smaller amount of support from HQn's within command radius, I believe. I don't think the naval support from base forces has the radius.

3. Yep.
mussey

Post by mussey »

I have yet to play the Japs, but for Allies I set naval air for ASW training if nothing else is in play.
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The Dutch subs are killers, go get them. Otherwise train in ASW or Naval Search.

edit: sorry, training in naval attack with torpedoes is a huge thing, especially early on, and they don't actually have to have torpedoes to train for that.
The air crews you train will be available to carrier squadrons.

2nd edit: I think you'll find that all planes that are torpedo capable and are not being used in combat will be training for that skill for years. Coming up with enough replacements for the Kates and Jills will be a challenge even if you are doing well.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

2. Noted this often that I get nav support at bases, where no nav support units are and also no HQ in range ?
2. Naval support has a radius - nearby bases receive a smaller amount of support from HQn's within command radius, I believe. I don't think the naval support from base forces has the radius.

You believe rightly.[:D] The NS is coming from a nearby naval hq with a sufficient radius.
In relation to that I noted that sometimes at bases without an HQ the torpedo weapon is on "yellow" do they bring some torpedoes with them to bases without air HQ?

No, what you are probably seeing is this...
Command HQs can directly supply torpedoes to groups by expending supply. It does not need to keep a torpedo reserve.

or this...
If no HQ or BF is found, then a HQ with the base within the HQ’s Command Radius is checked for. If one is found, then torpedoes are expended from it.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Thanks, and yes, the nav support comes actually from comb. fleet HQ I checked and it has a range of 9 (!). I brouhgt it closer to front rather drink sake in Japan.

Ah ok, torps can also by supplied within HQ range, good to know.

And here is point 4 I forgot:

Will eg. anti air benefit from HQ bonuses. Eg. will they be better to combat aircraft if the HQ the AA is under is in range ? The same goes for AT fire of AT and AA units ?
ASFAIK ground HQ can provide bonuses if in range and planned for the target (both defense and offense?), but is it also important to have AA and AT under the right HQ so they may get a bonuses too vs. aircraft and tanks....[&:]

Yeah the Dutch subs always are the best in early games....
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

AFAIK land HQs only help with land combat and troop recovery/TOE fills. I have never seen anything to say they help with AA or CD Unit battles. Those are too fluid to give direction to the unit IMO.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

I guess AT/AA units can get the combat bonus, but only for their devices which have assault value. I don't think they get any better when shooting at tanks/aircarft if command HQ is in range.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”