WitP vs. WitP:AE

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

WitP vs. WitP:AE

Post by Rising-Sun »

Wondering what the different between these two games, like the map over there, that showing realistic under water depths.

But it feel that the map is slightly smaller than Admiral Edition.

Though about getting back in the game for another try, looking for a good overall map than default one.
m10bob

RE: WitP vs. WitP:AE

Post by m10bob »

AE version includes a LOT of the player improvements offered by plank owners and grognards of the original game to enhance the game itself.
These improvements are meant to be more historic in some cases and to amplify certain "what-ifs" in some scenarios.
The map itself is enhanced with some of the "off map" ports of entry.

Many historical units have been put into AE which were excluded from vanilla WITP.

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

AE version includes a LOT of the player improvements offered by plank owners and grognards of the original game to enhance the game itself.
These improvements are meant to be more historic in some cases and to amplify certain "what-ifs" in some scenarios.
The map itself is enhanced with some of the "off map" ports of entry.

Many historical units have been put into AE which were excluded from vanilla WITP.

I agreed, didn't think they put much efforts into the old War in the Pacific. Believe the map on the other one is slightly smaller.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

If I understand your question correctly, yes, AE hexes are smaller in size at 46 miles per hex whereas WitP covered 60 miles per hex (IIRC). So the AE map is considerably "bigger" and more detailed.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

If I understand your question correctly, yes, AE hexes are smaller in size at 46 miles per hex whereas WitP covered 60 miles per hex (IIRC). So the AE map is considerably "bigger" and more detailed.
AE is 40 nautical miles (46 statute miles).

WITP was 60 nautical miles.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

At any count, AE is a grander investment and a certain "must have".

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

At any count, AE is a grander investment and a certain "must have".
Definitely!
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

They did a great job on that map though, can see underwater, etc. But the Admiral Edition, look like spray paint with paint tool. Maybe someday I can try trim the edge what they did. Only sample I can get is from google image and screenshot, unless someone can provide me those original maps in that game. But I am not going to pay 59.99 for that lol.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

See if you like these maps designed for AE:

chemkid’s Topo Map Thread:
tm.asp?m=3599038
Ref Page 4 post 109 for downloads:
fb.asp?m=3611473

JATM Project:
'Just Another Topo Map'
tm.asp?m=3696410

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

They did a great job on that map though, can see underwater, etc. But the Admiral Edition, look like spray paint with paint tool. Maybe someday I can try trim the edge what they did. Only sample I can get is from google image and screenshot, unless someone can provide me those original maps in that game. But I am not going to pay 59.99 for that lol.
Hey Risingsun,

Just an OT quote: I was standing at Itsukushima Shrine last Monday and saw your signature pic in the flesh. it was even low tide and I got to walk out to the gate. Cool!
mussey

Post by mussey »

In the beginning I paid something like $90.....
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

See if you like these maps designed for AE:

chemkid’s Topo Map Thread:
tm.asp?m=3599038
Ref Page 4 post 109 for downloads:
fb.asp?m=3611473

JATM Project:
'Just Another Topo Map'
tm.asp?m=3696410

Trugrit, chemkid did a great job on that map too, but left out one major flaw is the terrain types. Most of you probably don't care, but when fighting on the battlefield, need good information on the terrains.

So there are open/clear, farmland, hills, etc. Some time ago I had this realistic photo mapping going and believe it was a lot of work to be done and decided to abort it. Just want to test it and the hard part is showing the terrain features. But on the other hands, if the system (ingame) shows that infos about the terrains it would be a great help, unfort it doesn't have that options at the moment.

Right now just want to change the water details to be more comfortable while playing it for many hours.
ORIGINAL: Delaware

Hey Risingsun,

Just an OT quote: I was standing at Itsukushima Shrine last Monday and saw your signature pic in the flesh. it was even low tide and I got to walk out to the gate. Cool!

Interesting, glad you like it :)
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

when fighting on the battlefield, need good information on the terrains.
Toggle the "1" hotkey. It's use is vital!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

So there are open/clear, farmland, hills, etc. Some time ago I had this realistic photo mapping going and believe it was a lot of work to be done and decided to abort it. Just want to test it and the hard part is showing the terrain features. But on the other hands, if the system (ingame) shows that infos about the terrains it would be a great help, unfort it doesn't have that options at the moment.

Right now just want to change the water details to be more comfortable while playing it for many hours.

Move along, move along... nothing to see here. Sorry, but if you want eye candy its not here. The beauty of this game is its depth, nuance, and detail. There is not another game like this on the market today, and at $59.99 its a steal. That said its not for the faint of heart. IOW its not everyones' cup of tea.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
when fighting on the battlefield, need good information on the terrains.
Toggle the "1" hotkey. It's use is vital!
And toggle the "f6" hotkey for hex side info. Also vital!
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

Trugrit, chemkid did a great job on that map too, but left out one major flaw is the terrain types. Most of you probably don't care, but when fighting on the battlefield, need good information on the terrains.

Just press the "1" key on your keyboard with Chemkids map, it will display the terrain type. Once you get used to just hitting the "1" key every so often when you place troops, you won't miss the old map at all.
Most of you probably don't care....

Knowing your terrain is invaluable when playing WitP:AE. Trust me, we care. And while the old WitP map may have shown underwater details, there are really only two ocean depths modeled in game - deep and shallow, which both the stock WitP:AE map and Chemkids map model well.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Interesting, I wasn't aware there is keys that will do that. I looked everywhere for this and didn't find anything, when was this added to the game? it does help a lot though. Maybe I should get back on my project and continue working on that map.

Happy Fourth of July guys :)
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I did like old WIP. That one had the "UV" campaign scenario, which I played tirelessly.

I think supply was more generous in that game. In the campaign I had, the best ace I had was a Chinese I-16 pilot. (15 kills)
mussey

Post by mussey »

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

Just press the "1" key on your keyboard with Chemkids map, it will display the terrain type. Once you get used to just hitting the "1" key every so often when you place troops, you won't miss the old map at all.

Knowing your terrain is invaluable when playing WitP:AE. Trust me, we care. And while the old WitP map may have shown underwater details, there are really only two ocean depths modeled in game - deep and shallow, which both the stock WitP:AE map and Chemkids map model well.

I'm torn between the maps. If in the future there was a way to add forrest/jungle to ChemKids map, we'd have peace in or times...
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: mussey

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

I'm torn between the maps. If in the future there was a way to add forrest/jungle to ChemKids map, we'd have peace in or times...

I agreed.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”