Auto-Convert Obsolete Devices???

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SheperdN7

Auto-Convert Obsolete Devices???

Post by SheperdN7 »

Hello all, I have been wondering about this for a while now: in the preferences menu during a game, there is an option for "auto-convert obsolete devices" now I understand that is pretty straight forward, it just means that it will automatically convert tanks, At guns, etc when they become obsolete. My question is, why is there a function to do this and is there a way to manually convert the devices?? And if not, why put that function in in the first place[&:] Does it cost supply to do such a thing? So many questions and so hopefully so many answers :)
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
BBfanboy

RE: Auto-Convert Obsolete Devices???

Post by BBfanboy »

Upgrading devices does cost supply, but the biggest reason to set it OFF is that the number of key devices available in the pools is too low to equip all the units simultaneously. If you have units you want fully equipped for battle you must set this setting OFF.
You can manage device distribution still further by setting stockpiling for each device that is in short supply and then picking the unit you want to receive them, changing the UNIT setting to "Upgrades Allowed" and "Replacements ON", then removing the stockpile setting for the device.
Fiddling with the switches for individual units is what they mean by "manual upgrades".
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Give your best front line units the new stuff, but do it manually. Reserve troops such as those in the Kwangtung Army that you don't plan on buying out, leave them with the old stuff. As units upgrade their old devices go to the pools and you want some units to be drawing on those or they will be wasted. Troops facing USMC or British troops need the new stuff. Troops fighting the Chinese do not. Convert more units once the pools of old stuff run out, but do it on a case by case basis. Like many things in this game, it's worthwhile to do it yourself. TOE upgrades the same, anything that says auto turn OFF. Don't let the machine run your subs either. If you do you'll find them running out of fuel in the middle of the ocean, on occasion. It's up to you whether the sub has enough ammunition left to remain on patrol, and if it's one of those with a search plane, send it home as soon as you lose the plane.

Having brought that up, I've noticed that you can add reserve floatplanes to those subs that carry them. Gamey, right?

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Having brought that up, I've noticed that you can add reserve floatplanes to those subs that carry them. Gamey, right?

Gamey, right!!![:-]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

As to the thread, while I'm not 100% sure, I thought that the function was for the purpose of Japan getting back some HI for devices no longer used. IOW obsolete devices in the force pool would be converted to a bit of HI when removed. That is if we're even talking about the same thing.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Ok things are starting to make a little more sense with that. Why would a player ever want that turned on?

And also lets say that I turned the function "off" and had a ARM brigade needing type 89A tanks. If I turned replacements "on" on that unit, would it produce type 89A's or would it produce the Type 97's since they are the upgrade option for type 89A's?

Rutysi, I bet you are right with you thought on the purpose of the function. I know that I would not be happy if I was spending valuable HI on crappy type 94 37mm AT guns when I could simply upgrade the frontline units to the type 1 47mm which is sadly the best option for tank killing for Japanese ground forces (I believe).

Btw big shout out to our favourite Gorn for being merciful and swift with his answers[;)]

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

As to the thread, while I'm not 100% sure, I thought that the function was for the purpose of Japan getting back some HI for devices no longer used. IOW obsolete devices in the force pool would be converted to a bit of HI when removed. That is if we're even talking about the same thing.

My mistake - I thought the question was in reference to the switches for auto-upgrades and auto-replacements. The screens at startup for selecting options do not have this obsolete devices option but the in-game preferences summary does. I overlooked that switch in there. If the programmers never put in the code to make it work the discussion is moot.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Hello all, I have been wondering about this for a while now: in the preferences menu during a game, there is an option for "auto-convert obsolete devices" now I understand that is pretty straight forward, it just means that it will automatically convert tanks, At guns, etc when they become obsolete. My question is, why is there a function to do this and is there a way to manually convert the devices?? And if not, why put that function in in the first place[&:] Does it cost supply to do such a thing? So many questions and so hopefully so many answers :)

If it's what I think you mean, it was patched in:

"40. After 6 months, an expired pooled device (squad or engineer type) will slowly convert to the upgraded version; if Japan, obsolete devices will revert to the raw materials."

The reason is you move past the squad and engineer types as the war progresses. There's no use for a bunch of 1941 infantry squads sitting in the pools in 1944. So they convert. The men didn't die; they just get new gear and poof! they're 1944 infantry (or whatever.)

You will appreciate this feature if you play the Allies. Trust me.
The Moose
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Some of those IJN units start out with some armoured vehicles and upgrade to not having any. I'm real reluctant to upgrade those, especially if I'm using them against the Chinese.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”