Iran-Iraq war

The Community Project is a free wargame construction set to existing owners of DC: Barbarossa

Moderators: Vic, lancer

lion_of_judah

RE: Iran-Iraq war

Post by lion_of_judah »

First decision works fine, I think. Screen shot

Attachments
HighCommandorder.jpg
HighCommandorder.jpg (157.46 KiB) Viewed 589 times
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Screenshot 2

Attachments
HighCommandorder2.jpg
HighCommandorder2.jpg (124.84 KiB) Viewed 589 times
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I'm having trouble getting the dezful decision to work........
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Well I was incorrect, as the first decision card does not work 100%. If Iraq takes Abadan, then the Iraqi player does get the PP points for that, but if not then the penalty portion does not work and I do not know why.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Very impressive work even if it is not working 100% correctly at present.
A Sharif
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Noticed Alan's friendly post, or I might have missed this. This is not Advanced Tactics, and modding DC:B is no small thing. I perceive the author is a perfectionist, but we will gladly take crumbs [;)]

As DC:B is such a well received system, there should be many people cheering you on. And I hope a few who can help. Unfortunately, I can just cheer!
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

well for now I have scraped the decision events until I can master those better. What I have done though is add some information reports which will show up in the report window after certain hexes have been captured. For example, when Abadan is captured by Iraq, Iran will get a report that they have lost the city and when it is Iraq's turn again, they will receive the same report but also a one time reward of PP.

Also when Iraqi forces break through the Iranian lines on the central front a report will be generated giving information.

See screenshots below

Attachments
NewReports1.jpg
NewReports1.jpg (350.48 KiB) Viewed 589 times
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

screenshot 2

Attachments
NewReports.jpg
NewReports.jpg (142.83 KiB) Viewed 590 times
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

so true rosseau, so true ;)..... Thanks for the vote of confidence as it is much appreciated.
alex1917

Post by alex1917 »

Big thank you lion_of_judah! I play with myself this scenario. Well done, the realism is impressive. On the 1st stage of the war 10 thousand casualties in Iraq, Iran, 50 thousand.
Khanti

Post by Khanti »

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

Thank you. Yes eventually this will have an AI, as there will be two versions.

I tried your scenario and find it enjoyable. [:)]

Some thoughts:

There are tons of reports every turn (all those different supply / fuel sources). As Iraq I got 19 reports first turn (Iran has 23 reports). I just turn on rule 906 on sight (Rule Vars / Extra Statistics). I hope you will consider making it permanently enabled in this scenario (all those reports are available through REPS button, but one click is enough to dismiss them on on startup).

I also noticed there are four entries for replacements of conscripts for both sides:
Iraq 11+4
Iraq 30
Iran 33+50
Iran 60
Two of them are linked to cards, but if there is so many conscripts by turns normally, why one would use PP cards to bring more of them? Maybe normal replacements should more rely on random factors?
Example:
Iraq 4+11 instead of 11+4?
Iraq 15+15 instead of 30?
Anyway I think there is some problem with cards as my troops never arrive by cards (PP waste).

Iria-HQ / Iraqi-HQ units are available to create through PP also without restrictions how many of them one can have on map.
═══
There is no such thing as a historically accurate strategy game. Every game stops being historically accurate from the very first move player do. First unit that moves ahistorically, first battle with non-historical results, mean we ride in unknown.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

thank you. I like your suggestion for the replacements. As for the cards, the replacement card for infantry will be playable at a specific date, but cannot remember off the top of my head. I would look in the replacement table and see the date I have those cards activated.

As for the HO. The supreme Iraqi HQ there can only be 1, but for corps HQ's as many as you have the PP and staff to fill them. I still plan on updating this as soon as I have the time.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I have reworked both the troop and historical libraries. Trying to figure out why the scenario crashes and how to stop the messages from repeating which might have something to do with it's crashing but not sure. Once I figure this out the last thing to upgrade will be the officer libraries for both Iran and Iraq
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi Lion,

Feel free to send it over. If you are not writing your own event scripts it should ideally not crash at all. So maybe I can learn something to improve the libraries to avoid this in the future.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Vic
thanks for taking a look for me. I have actually written or should I say attempted to write some event messages when certain Iranian cities are captured. I just sent the email with the attached scenario. Thanks

Vic

Post by Vic »

Found your issue. (also improved the code base due to it)

Your scenario is looking good. It always make me happy seeing somebody doing some unexpected subject with my engine :)

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Version 1.3 of the Iran Iraq war scenario has now been uploaded to the scenario data bank. This is still a work in progress.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

please send me a private message with your suggestions and on the next update I will try and do this, thanks
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Can I just say I am REALLY enjoying playing this scenario as Iraq. The initial invasion went well, and I could see myself taking Tehran in no time. However, Iranian resistance has stiffened and each of my advancing corps has come to a standstill ( Sept 81 turn). Now the Iranians have retaken a couple of hexes, at some cost in casualties, just like the real thing. The scale seems perfect for such a long war as turns are quite short. I really love what you have done here. I will get around to trying your Korean War scenario at some point, but am enjoying this too much at present to move onto something else. Really excellent first class work. THANK YOU.
A Sharif
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

you are very welcome. Glad you are enjoying this. I still have some work though but glad you like this. I had thought I updated the Iranian officers but apparently not, so this is one thing I need to fix asap.

Return to “Scenario Design with the Community Project”