Newbie: Can't decide Waterloo or Gettysburg?

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

adamkarchmer

Newbie: Can't decide Waterloo or Gettysburg?

Post by adamkarchmer »

I need help deciding what game to purchase. I want Gettysburg because I love Civil War games. But I am thinking of getting Waterloo because I think it's newer with better enhancements (I don't for sure, this is what I'm guessing). I enjoy playing Take Command - Manassas. What does the forum suggest I purchase?
mitra76

RE: Newbie: Can't decide Waterloo or Gettysburg?

Post by mitra76 »

If the Civil War historical background is the most important factor for you then take Gettysburg initially; Waterloo has enhancements in various points but they must be not the main drive behind your decision: you can like the enhancements but if the historical period means little to you, they're not those making the difference. Both the games share the same gameplay style, so you can take Waterloo at a later date eventually after having evaluated Gettysburg.
Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
adamkarchmer

Post by adamkarchmer »

ORIGINAL: mitra76

If the Civil War historical background is the most important factor for you then take Gettysburg initially; Waterloo has enhancements in various points but they must be not the main drive behind your decision: you can like the enhancements but if the historical period means little to you, they're not those making the difference. Both the games share the same gameplay style, so you can take Waterloo at a later date eventually after having evaluated Gettysburg.

Thanks Mitra76. I ended up purchasing Chancellorsville. I'm pumped. I was playing TC Manassas so the learning curve hasn't been bad at all. Very excited for this game. Would love an Overland Campaign with the Bloody Angle. I wonder how the game would come up with the commander AI for Meade. They would have to create a new role for Grant's AI.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Civil War for sure IMHO
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

both, and have twice the fun imo[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Zak they should put you in PR, you're always puffing up a game or two. :))

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i'm a volunteer mod only, so member first, game tester next, player 3rd, mod last[:D] [;)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

PR first first lol
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Zak they should put you in PR, you're always puffing up a game or two. :))

In this case either of the 2 merit being puffed.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well each have it's own merits as it's different time periods so it's i'd guess what ever floats your boat tbh, for me i love war gaming so battle isn't as important as design and how it plays, if you like a given date and time period it's a bonus, but if it's done well i'll play any from pre rome to out of space[;)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

well each have it's own merits as it's different time periods so it's i'd guess what ever floats your boat tbh, for me i love war gaming so battle isn't as important as design and how it plays, if you like a given date and time period it's a bonus, but if it's done well i'll play any from pre rome to out of space[;)]

Pre Rome? You mean even when they threw sticks and stones and if you believe in pre-cavemen even feces then? [:'(] What a kewl game that would be if they could incorporate smellavision. [:D]
MikeToth

Post by MikeToth »

Both are excellent games, heck if you can afford it snag both of them....[;)]

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”