Sharing Mod ideas

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LargeSlowTarget

RE: Sharing Mod ideas

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: Yaab
BTW, am I seeing this right? Ki-51 is now a dive-bomber?

There have been discussions about it here and elsewhere if it was or not. According to this book it did well in a "limited dive bombing role". Maybe it wasn't a full-fledged DB like the Stuka, Val or Dauntless, but well, it was used as DB. I am even considering it to giver her an armor value of 1, since it had pilot protection.
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

I had a question about your off-map occupied Europe hex. An allied LCU spawns there to switch control of the hex according to your notes.

How do you force the allied LCU to spawn at a hostile hex and not delayed 1 month at a national base?
LargeSlowTarget

Good question, did not think about that and did not play into 1945 yet to test it *sheepish grin*. I will try to rectify this with an amphib TF that spawns at the appropriate time and place.
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

Can I ask you how you edited the hex files to create the new hex? I'd like to add the Occupied Europe hex to Focus Pacific, but editing the hex files is beyond me. El Cid tried to share the hex editor with me, but my computer insists that it is a virus and refuses to download it.
LargeSlowTarget

Just using the AE editor to create a base and the hex editor to change the terrain type to coastal. Some security programs treat zip
-files containing an exe as potential malware and block them. If you trust the sender, you may disable the protection temporarily in order download the zip containing the editor.
LargeSlowTarget

I have a day off this friday and am looking forward to spend some time with the editor to fix things in my mod. If anyone has taken a look at it and found issues / errors, please do not hesitate to comment here or by PM. Thx.
Falken

Post by Falken »

Hi,

Is this mod still being maintained. I see that you were going to make some final changes/adjustments to your MOD. Have these been completed?

Your MOD looks very interesting from a Historical perspective, but wanted to make sure that the link I had was still current.

Thanks
LargeSlowTarget

Positively surprised to find this thread resurrected [:)].

Yes, I'm still fiddling with the mod now and then, correcting data glitches and typos as I find them, also made small changes and additions and even retracted one or two decisions.

For example, I have reworked the Dutch, Oz and NZ ground force OOB - mostly name and TO&E changes inspired by the changes in the last DBB version (my mod was based on an older version of DBB), but not copying them 1:1 due to my own designs.

Borneo has seen some changes regarding Singkawang II and Samarinda II "secret" airfields. The useless inland dot base on Borneo whose name eludes me at the moment is now a dot base on Timor and may see some Dutch and Australians fighting a (historic) guerilla campaign.

Latest additions are two civilian floating drydocks in Australia and New Zealand (Newcastle dock and Jubilee dock at Wellington) which got "conscripted" into military service.

On the other hand, I have given up on the "victory points" devices to add VP value to the civilian and small "special units" (codebreakers etc.) - these devices with load cost of 0 tended to disappear when the units were loaded on a ship or plane. The TOE of those LCUs have been cleaned.

I just re-started the "final" playtesting H2H match for the umpteenth time, but it will proceed very slowly due to RL and PBEM.

In short, my mod is still not finished and probably never will be, but I have run out of ideas. I will try to gather the files this weekend and post them here.
traskott

Post by traskott »

Where can we find this mod? [:)]
Falken

Post by Falken »

Thank you very much LST.

I have been looking at this one for a while, and really wanted to try it out. Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for your next update then before I start my game

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

So many good MODs are out there now, DBB, BigB, RA, etc., but I luv the fact that you have tried to make yours even more "historical" as possible.

Can't wait to try it....

LargeSlowTarget

Hi,

as promised, here are dropbox links to the latest "release candidate" version of my mod :

Documentation

Art

Map

pwhexdat

Scenario (updated July 06)

Enjoy,
Falken

Post by Falken »

Thanks LST, really appreciate it.

I"ll download and give it a whirl. I'm still reading the changes in your word documentation. So if I understand the documentation properly, if we want to see your special RR, etcl, then we must use your Map, correct? and we need to use the HEX version as well? I am a really big fan of ChemKid's map, and just want to make sure that they are not compatible before I switch... I'm assuming that it is important to see your map "visual changes".

I normally use the Yamato non-hex Sunny version, so this will be a big visual change for me.

Thanks again....

<edited - added a context statement to the Map question>
Falken

Post by Falken »

Hi LST,

me again :).. i've downloaded your files but I can't seem to get the Scenario to show up in the list for a new game. Could there be a missing CMT file or some other file missing in the Scenario download?
LargeSlowTarget

Hi,

Oops, sorry for the scen file fail. I had to grab and post the stuff in a hurry and had no time to check the zip files with an actual test installation.

I am at work right now, will check that out as soon as possible - RL permitting.

Concerning the map, I use Chemkids Topo map "World in Flames" style with ocean dots because I like the "Google Earth" look better than the Yamato style and the dots are less intrusive than hex sides. I have slightly revised it, for example to add some markers and the "missing" railroads / roads to match my pwhexdat file. You can use whatever map you want and use the "r" and "y" keys to check the road/railroad grid.

Cheers,
LargeSlowTarget

Files scen049.cmt and aei049.dat were missing - link updated.
Falken

Post by Falken »

Thanks LST,

With the files added, I was able to load and start the scenario. 2 issues so far, after running the Dec7th non-historical day as specified (i.e. with no orders on both sides as per house rule in doc, one of the first battles is with a couple of PG IJN ships, the Toba, the Atami, and the Ataka. Two of those were shown in the combat replay in "purple background" (i.e. I think from TransP folder instead of the Back folder, i think).

Second issue, is after the turn, and after taking Kota Bharu, when I try to run the Dec 8th Tracker turn update, it crashes on a 'base comparable size' issue. Sorry, did not write down the exact wording. It must be having an error on the Kota base as it's the only one that changed hands, and I had been able to produce a clean Dec 7th Tracker file.

Trying to see if I can figure out how to fix these two before continuing.....
LargeSlowTarget

Strange, the purple "shil" files look ok in the editor - I'll run a battle to check.

Never have used Tracker, no idea about the "base comparable size" issue. The base is functioning just fine in the game.
Falken

Post by Falken »

Hi LST,

Thanks, as far as the error, I just ran tracker again for the Dec 8th turn, and this is what I get:
"Error comparing bases (COMPAREBASE_UNEQUALSIZE)".

Unfortunately, I am not a Tracker expert, so have no idea what the problem is, or how to resolve it. Thanks for the reply though, I appreciate it.
Herrbear

Post by Herrbear »

Thank you for the update.
LargeSlowTarget

@Falken: Yes, the graphics of some Japanese river gunboats have traces of purple left around the hulls - shoddy work on my part, but all I have to create ship graphics is Windows Paint... No biggie in my opinion, those gunboats won't show up in surface fights often.
Concerning the tracker problem: I have changed bases sizes - maybe Tracker has stored data from a different mod and expects different base sizes?

@Herrbear: Thx - I have another version in the works with minor tweaks, corrections, a few new elements as well, but will do some more testing before releasing it - probably in a new, more visible thread.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”