beer and pretzels with a nip of fine whiskey

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

fuselex

beer and pretzels with a nip of fine whiskey

Post by fuselex »

a
Peter Fisla

RE: beer and pretzels with a nip of fine whiskey

Post by Peter Fisla »

Wow, thank you kindly for your feedback sir :)
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

+1, I just bought this game last week and totally enjoying it! An avid SL/ASL player in the past, I find it very well done, good job Peter, and thank you, well worth the price, IMO!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
genesismwt

Post by genesismwt »

It's taken 35 years for me to realize what the "beer and pretzel game" meant, as I recall from an article interviewing one of the creators of SL, talking about his intentions when he was designing the game. We had only played SL for three months, just long enough to get through all of the original scenarios when Cross of Iron came out. Having been playing Tractics, before finding out about SL, we were instantly drawn in to the added depth provided by Cross of Iron, especially to the armor.

That depth is both a blessing and curse. Pouring over the charts and special rules to get the most out of your units starts off as great fun, but gets old after a while.

Now I get the meaning of the beer and pretzel game. I can pop off a game of Guards Counterattack or Rocket's Red Glare in 15-20 minutes. I don't have to pour over charts anymore, I just have to make sure that I am not caught moving in the open with my best leader and two medium MG's. If a tank needs to be taken out, I just have to find a way to get a bazooka within a couple hexes of the tank.

If TotH is ever updated to show the numbers, the charts, and the mechanics,I will naturally get sucked in and pour over the numbers. But for now, I am enjoying a freedom that comes from not having being bogged down by "TMI".

Here's to beer and pretzels, and TotH.

Cheers!
The game is afoot!

Mike
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: genesismwt

It's taken 35 years for me to realize what the "beer and pretzel game" meant, as I recall from an article interviewing one of the creators of SL, talking about his intentions when he was designing the game. We had only played SL for three months, just long enough to get through all of the original scenarios when Cross of Iron came out. Having been playing Tractics, before finding out about SL, we were instantly drawn in to the added depth provided by Cross of Iron, especially to the armor.

That depth is both a blessing and curse. Pouring over the charts and special rules to get the most out of your units starts off as great fun, but gets old after a while.

Now I get the meaning of the beer and pretzel game. I can pop off a game of Guards Counterattack or Rocket's Red Glare in 15-20 minutes. I don't have to pour over charts anymore, I just have to make sure that I am not caught moving in the open with my best leader and two medium MG's. If a tank needs to be taken out, I just have to find a way to get a bazooka within a couple hexes of the tank.

If TotH is ever updated to show the numbers, the charts, and the mechanics,I will naturally get sucked in and pour over the numbers. But for now, I am enjoying a freedom that comes from not having being bogged down by "TMI".

Here's to beer and pretzels, and TotH.

Cheers!

Agreed, beer and pretzels wargames are what we need more of. It's getting to far to the other end of the spectrum with WitP, WitE, WitW, strategic war of World War II and other long drawn out wargames that take days or months or years (WitPAE) to play out. I want more 4 hours or less games like the Avalon Hill days. [&o] But, please no more Heroes of Normandie like games [:D] I felt like I was playing chess and checkers with that game with die determing the winner all too often and my strategy or tactics didn't matter.
dox44

Post by dox44 »

i love HON. knife fight in a yugo and right moves are rewarded over the long haul...top shelf beer and pretzels game

cause drunker you get the better it plays...

:)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: casebier

i love HON. knife fight in a yugo and right moves are rewarded over the long haul...top shelf beer and pretzels game

Die rolls determine the winner not your play or strategy. You have to look deeper into the game to see it but it's there.
fuselex

Post by fuselex »

a
wodin

Post by wodin »

Me too..with the cards it is starting to come into it's own..great fun and a lovely change from the more serious wargame fodder.

ORIGINAL: casebier

rico21

Post by rico21 »

[:D]
Hi Parusski,
check your inbox, you must have pm.

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”