Windows 10 - Reflections

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: Windows 10 - Reflections

Post by Lowpe »

Apples products are too expensive for me...never a fan. They were also difficult to port over to linux machines -- although that is probably not true anymore. Also, they were always weak on games.

Here is an interesting program that puts most of windows 10 privacy sliders in one place. Interestingly enough I missed quite a few sliders ...

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

In other news I see that Microsoft is changing your "Windows 10 Upgrade experience" by disabling the red "X" from installing windows 10 to actually closing the window pop up.

Look at all the sliders I missed...the last one about Windows Store is interesting...so many inter-dependencies...it will take a long time to understand how all this works.
Attachments
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 83 times
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

We posted about Windows 10 and the auto upgrade months ago. I'm a lawyer - I said then and I say again that there's a clear cause of action for upgrading against the wishes/knowledge of users, no matter what the user agreement say. In Georgia there is an implied duty of "good faith" in acting on a contract. Probably every state has a similar provision of law or common law. Microsoft violated this duty, IMO. There will be successful class action lawsuits. I will enthusiastically join the class if give the chance.

Very good point..

I have made it clear how I feel about "not fixing that which is not broken", now I will share another personal experience.

About 4 months ago I took that offered "upgrade" from Win7 to Win10 and it was fine for maybe 2 months, but then Win10 locked me out of my own computer and would not recognize me..It went into "safe mode" on its' own and after days trying to fix it, I called microschlock and spoke with a "gent" from Bombay India for over two hours.
I would like to say he was helpful.

I really would like to say that.

After those two very frustrating hours, in which time I tried every single suggestion he and his supervisor could think up...I was informed the supervisor had just "walked away" and I was told that since microschlock did not install Win10 themselves...and that indeed I had VOLUNTARILY downloaded the offered upgrade...the onus was on me...not them!..

Unwilling to purchase anything APPLE due to political differences, I did acquire another ew CPU...with Win10 factory installed, and the problems are not as pronounced as the ones I had with the last computer.

Some very good IT guys have told me the problems with Win10 are the downloaded version, not the factory installed version.
Still, I am upset they cannot just leave me the **** alone!

I would not allow anyone to wash my '67 Camaro SS when I bought it new...and I sure don't like them screwing with my computer.[:@]

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

We posted about Windows 10 and the auto upgrade months ago. I'm a lawyer - I said then and I say again that there's a clear cause of action for upgrading against the wishes/knowledge of users, no matter what the user agreement say. In Georgia there is an implied duty of "good faith" in acting on a contract. Probably every state has a similar provision of law or common law. Microsoft violated this duty, IMO. There will be successful class action lawsuits. I will enthusiastically join the class if give the chance.

I saw an article on FB (I think) than MS just lost its first suit on this. Not settled, lost. They announced they will not appeal. Possibly waiting for a bigger case to make a stand. I believe the plaintiff was a small travel agency. I don't know the cause of action though. Some kind of loss of business claim. Don't think it was tortuous interference, but you could probably go that way if the tort interfered with the agency and its clients and a client was damaged (getting stuck in Dubai or something.)

MS absolutely intends to go all "cloud" with Windows, and make it a subscription model over purchase. It'll do it one apple bite at a time. I'll hold on to Win7 with a block and tackle.
The Moose
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I saw an article on FB (I think) than MS just lost its first suit on this. Not settled, lost. They announced they will not appeal. Possibly waiting for a bigger case to make a stand. I believe the plaintiff was a small travel agency. I don't know the cause of action though. Some kind of loss of business claim. Don't think it was tortuous interference, but you could probably go that way if the tort interfered with the agency and its clients and a client was damaged (getting stuck in Dubai or something.)

MS absolutely intends to go all "cloud" with Windows, and make it a subscription model over purchase. It'll do it one apple bite at a time. I'll hold on to Win7 with a block and tackle.

See message #1 for a link to a BBC article about it.

Quite disconcerting about the "all cloud" idea.

Here is a link to the tricky upgrade checkmark story:
http://www.itnews.com.au/news/microsoft ... pts-429894

And here is another link for some insight into Windows 10 from late April:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 2820dc403f

Especially nasty, if true, is the upgrade policy of deleting competing apps and changing user settings.[:(]

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

For months, every time the "Upgrade to Windows 10" popup appeared on my screen, I clicked "No" or otherwise indicated: "Go away, you blood sucking leaches." But someway, somehow, deep in the night, I either missed something, accidentally clicked something that I thought said one thing when it said another, or was otherwise tricked into automatically downloading Windows 10. I did not do it voluntarily. I walked away from my computer, came back a few hours later, and *presto*, discovered that 10 was about 78% downloaded.

You wanna talk about one mad puppy. Down here in the South, conduct like that is sufficient reason to challenge lowlifes to a duel.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

I saw an article on FB (I think) than MS just lost its first suit on this. Not settled, lost. They announced they will not appeal. Possibly waiting for a bigger case to make a stand. I believe the plaintiff was a small travel agency. I don't know the cause of action though. Some kind of loss of business claim.

There is a bit more info here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... 10-upgrade

The cause was "So she took the Redmond-based giant to court in order to make up for lost wages and get a replacement computer. She won."
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

It wasn't your fault, Canoerebel. They did it to me without permission as well. Used Windows Update.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: stuart3
I saw an article on FB (I think) than MS just lost its first suit on this. Not settled, lost. They announced they will not appeal. Possibly waiting for a bigger case to make a stand. I believe the plaintiff was a small travel agency. I don't know the cause of action though. Some kind of loss of business claim.

There is a bit more info here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... 10-upgrade

The cause was "So she took the Redmond-based giant to court in order to make up for lost wages and get a replacement computer. She won."

Cause of action is a legal term of art for the basis of a civil suit. The article doesn't name the specific cause in her complaint. A nit only of interest to lawyers and paralegals pretty much.
The Moose
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The Moose is well versed in everything. He is a rennaissance man. You should see him in his goat-hair Speedo.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

The Moose is well versed in everything. He is a rennaissance man. You should see him in his goat-hair Speedo.

Mink, baby! [:'(]
The Moose
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

A minked Moose loose on a submerged sub. An image I could have lived without...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

A minked Moose loose on a submerged sub. An image I could have lived without...

At sea ya gotta go with the cotton. No dry cleaning . . .
The Moose
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

As long as we're on the subject guys (computers, not hairy weasels), where is the world in terms of practical alternatives to Windows or Mac? Are there any alternative operating systems that are:

1) Compatible with modern mainstream computers;
2) Compatible with mainstream (Windows-based) applications and games;
3) Reasonably user friendly; and
4) Reasonably affordable?

If so, who are they? And in which of the above criteria are they strongest?
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'll try and handle this. First this. Comp. w/mod mainstream computing? Yes, uses base 10. Same answer for Windows apps.
User friendly? I've never had a fight with one. Reasonably affordable? Careful there, Congress will vote against that fifty times or more.
Let's change that to 'reasonably cheap?' Yes it is.

Attachments
abacus.jpg
abacus.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 83 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Next, this. Compatible with reality. Not so user friendly. I never learned how to do everything you could do on one of these suckers.
Reasonably cheap? They used to be, but if you took one to the Antiques Road Show they might advise you otherwise.

Attachments
sliderule.jpg
sliderule.jpg (103.75 KiB) Viewed 84 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Next. Compatability questionable. More often than not base six. User friendly? Yes, especially the fuzzy ones. Reasonably cheap? We may have a winner here.

Attachments
dice.jpg
dice.jpg (55.53 KiB) Viewed 83 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Next: No, no, no and no (unless the reader is your first cousin, and even then...).

Attachments
tarotcard..ousesgt.jpg
tarotcard..ousesgt.jpg (460.05 KiB) Viewed 83 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Next. Compatible? Totally. Friendly? They feed you before you use them. Cheap? You can get a bucket for $6.99.

Attachments
bones.jpg
bones.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 83 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here is perhaps the best of all. Compatible (in English), friendly - requires no maintenance other than a damp cloth now and then.
Cheap? You'll never spend better money.

Attachments
magic8ball.jpg
magic8ball.jpg (50.42 KiB) Viewed 83 times

Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

While I completely disagree with Microsoft's approach to the Windows 10 upgrade, I have been pleasantly surprised (so far) with the performance. Like all new apps, games, etc., it takes a while to get accustomed to the new features. I chose to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 ... has to be the cleanest and easiest experience I've ever had ... lets hope that holds true after the anniversary update!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”