[FIX ATTEMPTED B838 + B839 + SR4] Just a few issues regarding High DPI scaling with 1.11 service...

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

tango4

[FIX ATTEMPTED B838 + B839 + SR4] Just a few issues regarding High DPI scaling with 1.11 service...

Post by tango4 »

First of all,
Many many thanks for taking care of this issue.
On my 17in laptop with a 3840*2160 screen, scaling set to 200% in windows 10, it is now perfectly playable thanks to your efforts and I am really thankful that you took some time to fix it even though it is not high priority.
There are just a few remaining minor issues (at least the ones I could notice with a very short test):

*Scaling only occurs AFTER starting the first scenario. Before that main menu and scenario briefing is VERY small. So I have to launch a scenario (any of them) to force scaling, then open again the start menu (which is now scaled) and choose what I really want.
*Even after scaling has occured, it seems that the black text bar at the top (containing zulu and local time, etc) is not scaling for some reason (it appears very big and hence there is not enough space to display it fully

I have not been able to test it extensively but that's all I was able to note at the moment.

Nevertheless, I wish once again to thank you for your time and efforts which are really appreciated.

Charles
mikmykWS

RE: Just a few issues regarding High DPI scaling with 1.11 service update 1

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks tango. Added this to our immediate list.

If you can post some quick screenshots tonight it would be great. The guys are literally under the hood so would likely get solved.

Mike
tango4

Post by tango4 »

Hi Mike,
I just made a quick video to show you.
I could not do it earlier as i just got home from work.
I hope it will be enough, even though the quality is not great.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkxfjgvkfi71t ... 8.mp4?dl=0

Just keep in mind that what you see is on a 17in laptop screen.

Many thanks for your help.

Charles
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Perfect. Thank you!

Mike
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

That is very, very helpful, thanks!

We're making a new B838 where this should (hopefully) be fixed. Build 838 should be out shortly, would be great if you could give it a go and let us know if things work better.

Thanks again!

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
tango4

Post by tango4 »

Seems to be working better !
First issue appears to be solved.

Regarding the second one, it seems the "black text bar" still looks a bit bigger than what it looks like if I run my screen in 1080p,but I might be wrong.

And the last issue is at the bottom of the screen "unit view" or "group view".
Before the update, it looked wrong, but if I hit the V key to switch between modes, it did scale OK. Now even hitting the key does not scale it.
Here is another short video to show you what I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/warvppsqnmffn ... 5.mp4?dl=0

I don't have more time right now to make further tests so I might have missed something, but on a first glance it looks perfect apart from those small issues. Will make further tests ASAP.

Anyway, many thanks for all your efforts.

Charles

tango4

Post by tango4 »

Hi again guys,
Unfortunately, I discovered a few more issues after spending just a bit more time with the latest release.
As usual I made another video trying to show you the issues.
Regarding the "black text bar" you'll see that at some point in the video it does scale correctly, but i was not able to relate it to one action I did (after several tests).
The other issues I have are under some menus as you'll see in the video (Damage control, Magazine, Weapons, and WRA (not shown in the video, tell me if you need to see it)).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi6e38gnfjbxa ... 4.mp4?dl=0

And one more thing I noticed, but about which I'm not sure there is a solution:
The "issue" I have is that the texts in the menus are a bit "blurry" or "pixelated", hard to describe it precisely, but that might be due to the way windows handles scaling. (But the general impression in CMANO is WAYYYYY BETTER now than when i rebooted my computer and forced my screen in 1080p).
To be a bit clearer, let me explain:
Usually, I have two typical use-cases on my 4K screen. If I play a "traditional" video game, it will run in full screen mode in 1080p, because my computer is not powerful enough to run most 3d games in 4k with a good level of details. In that case, the side effect is that the screen itself is a bit blurry, but for such games, that is usually not an issue.
The other use-case would be windows applications, like Chrome browser for example, where everything is rendered in 4K, with exceptionally clear fonts in the menus.
Now for CMANO, I do understand that it is impossible to draw the map in 4K because it would probably kill most computers ! But what would be nice (but possibly VERY time consuming for you, I don't know at all) would be to render all the interface in native 4K to avoid this pixelated effet, and keep drawing the map at a lower resolution to maintain performance. I think this is what paradox did with HOIIV (there is the option to draw the 3d part at a lower res while running the game in 4k).

Honestly, I just took the opportunity of this post to mention this suggestion, but I understand that there are 90% chances that it is way too much effort for a small result.
To make things clear once again, if you do solve the small issues I mentioned in the video, the game will be PERFECTLY playable in 4K, and I really appreciate that fact.
Charles
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Thanks Charles, this is ridiculously helpful [8D]

I believe I've fixed all of the issues you've reported in the upcoming B839 exe except the black bar thingie. Haven't been able to reproduce the in-game re-scaling on this end [8D]

The pixelated text is due to Window's scale methods. Not much I can do about it at this time. Will continue looking into and we might eventually find a solution but for the Service Release we're stuck with the game as it is now.

Please give B839 a swing when it is out, and let us know if you discover anything else.

Thanks again!

tango4

Post by tango4 »

Well,

after some quick tests, it looks great, seems you nailed it ! Well, apart from the "black bar" issue...which, let's be honest, is an absolute game breaker. How can I possibly enjoy the game with a bar that is 10 pixels too big.
Sorry, as we are on a forum, I thought a bit of drama was needed [;)]

If I find something else, I'll try to report back.

In the meantime, MANY THANKS for your efforts !

Charles
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Lol thanks again for your feedback [8D]

Will leave the EXE up for testing for another couple of days in case someone finds something catastrophic and then I think we'll release it officially.

tango4

Post by tango4 »

Hi again and sorry to bother you once more but it seems that 1.11SR2 has broken a few things for me.

Top menu and WRA at least.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmal73o469fdp ... 1.mp4?dl=0

Sorry if I report only now but I did not have the opportunity to test before.
Still running at 4K, scaling 200%.

Charles

tango4

Post by tango4 »

And FYI I did try and delete the command.ini file.
Just to confirm this is the file located in CMANO root folder, not another one ?

Charles
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Adjustments made v1.11 SR4, thanks! [8D]

tango4

Post by tango4 »

Thanks !

Charles

Return to “Tech Support”