Abbreviations

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

tbridges

Abbreviations

Post by tbridges »

Hey...just bought Red Storm Player's Edition and could use a little help...

On the sub-unit screen what do all the abbreviations under “Armaments” mean? I presume “AP” means armor-piercing, or does it mean anti-personnel?

And what do the numbers like “29” AP mean? Does that mean the tank is carrying 29 armor-piercing shells at the moment or does it mean that is the typical maximum carrying capacity for that type of shell in that vehicle?

What does the “6 Area” or “4 Area” mean? Have no idea on this one.

What does the last entry “52 Ammo” mean – is the total actual number of shells aboard at this moment in time or the max possible that the tank could carry?

And finally,at least for now, how do I turn all the sound off? I prefer to listen to my own music while playing. I see where to turn it down in preferences but how do I turn it completely off?

Thanks...appreciate your help.

Tom

Tom

The easy way is always mined...
CapnDarwin

RE: Abbreviations

Post by CapnDarwin »

Each weapon is rated for various attack modes. AP is the armor piercing rating of the gun at effective range (15*AP rating to mm's of pen). HEAT is similar for anti tank. Area is a generic area fire rating for small arms and explosives. Ammo% is a percentage of ammo remaining of all types for the unit. Ammo in a weapon description is main gun or missile rounds or for auto-cannons and machine guns is bursts. There are options to turn off the game sounds in the main menu and you can also turn them on and of using the FX tab on the Commander's notebook.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
tbridges

Post by tbridges »

Thanks Cap, that's a big help! Just reading the manual and tutorial now and learning the game. Looks great so far, I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions.

Waiting to start an actual game until the next update comes out. Any idea on when the next update might be ready?

Tom
Tom

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

You can grab the latest 11.5 beta from our website. Also grab 11.2 with updated maps. We are working on the last of the bugs and tweaks for the 11.6 beta. Hopefully by the end of the week if we can take down an elusive bug that's messing with us right now.

We can answer questions and so can a good number of our members. We have a good group of folks in here. Enjoy!

tbridges

Post by tbridges »

I purchased the game on Steam. Is everything you mentioned available there, especially the next full update when available? I've never been big on betas. Are the ones you mention stable and mostly bug free?
Tom

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes, the major updates are pushed out when ready. We strongly recommend using the 11beta over 2.0.10. The 10 release ended up have a number of issues due to a late optimization run on the code that messed a few things up. All you need to do is opt in for the Red Storm beta and those files will be downloaded.

Strategiusz

Post by Strategiusz »

What does mean IL, like in a mortar ammo: "(SM, IL)".
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

SM stands for smoke, IL for illumination. Note that illumination rounds aren't used in the game.

William
William

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”