European Championship

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: European Championship

Post by warspite1 »

HUGE game today.

I hope the Welsh don't underestimate the Northern Irish today or - in what is likely to be a frenetic derby game - they may just come unstuck. The plucky Ulstermen showed what they are capable of against Ukraine and were tough to beat against Germany.

Good luck to both teams and may the best team on the day win. I slightly favour Wales here though for the reasons that a) they (should) have more chance of progressing further and b) Gareth Bale.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well Leo as usual I posted in the WITP-AE forum as well.

I have to use my old vacation days by 30.06.2016. - so I was on holidays and didn't check the forum that much... [8D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

I have to use my old vacation days by 30.06.2016. - so I was on holidays and didn't check the forum that much... [8D]

Leo "Apollo11"
warspite1

Well you're here now Leo so that's good [8D]

Wanted Poland earlier, but felt very sorry for the Swiss who really gave it a go in the second half of normal and extra time.

Now......

....the Big One!!!! [8D]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Mmmmmm.....

...the Welsh don't seem as up for this as the Ulstermen.....

Not a great first half but its going to liven up soon (I hope [;)]).

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Leo "Apollo11"
warspite1

Well you're here now Leo so that's good [8D]

Wanted Poland earlier, but felt very sorry for the Swiss who really gave it a go in the second half of normal and extra time.

Now......

....the Big One!!!! [8D]
Iceland doesn't play against England today. You have to wait two days for the big one. [;)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Mmmmmm.....

...the Welsh don't seem as up for this as the Ulstermen.....

Not a great first half but its going to liven up soon (I hope [;)]).
Second half not much better but Wales have had enough pressure to score. Now they just need to close the game.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

The European Championship, so far, has shown a lot of very well organized defences. But so far I have not heard any complaints about it.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Where do you want me to park the bus? [;)]

Attachments
00buses.jpg
00buses.jpg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 57 times
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Well...we did it !!

Portugal played better today than previous matches, as a team. But Croatia massacred us in the last half of overtime...[:(]
We got lucky, not something we are used too...[:D]
Former AJE team member
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Congratulations, Portugal [:)] I watched only the first half (what a snore fest) then gave up. I was going to watch the penalties and then Portugal scored.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: Orm

eehhhh???!!! Orm, weren't you an admirer of my football arch-enemy (Mr M.)? You've finally seen the light?
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus
But Croatia massacred us in the last half of overtime...[:(]
Don't forget that we had less one day rest...
Yeah, we were lucky. Croatia didn't deserve to loose. A tie would be fair, IMO.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Well...we did it !!

Portugal played better today than previous matches, as a team. But Croatia massacred us in the last half of overtime...[:(]

Congrats!

The unfortunate thing is that we (Croatia) lost because of the totally inept coach appointed by "people" (I will not use the more appropriate words - this is family forum after all) who are masters of the Croatian Football Federation...[:(]

He was lucky in first 3 matches (he changed players starting in 89th minute in all 3 games [:@]) but his luck run out in 4th and crucial game... players are not to be blamed here...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Croatia has amazing players [&o], the only relatively weak spot is the defence. We (Portugal) weren't just lucky, I think we managed to neutralize very effectively Croatia amazing mid-field and attack most of the game (as consequence yes, first half was boring).

One of the reasons is that our coach finally decided to bring to the pitch 3 midfielders that play together in the best club of the world (Sporting Club de Portugal [:D]) - Adrien, William, João Mário - specially Adrien, he managed to neutralize Modric, a very difficult task.

The entry of Renato Sanches was very effective to give more power in the second half and overtime. This kid (18 years old ? [X(]) is a force of nature. If Bayern manages to coach and train effectively this still "rough" diamond he has the potential in a few years to be one of the best players around.

Regards and better luck next time!
Former AJE team member
TulliusDetritus

One of the reasons is that our coach finally decided to bring to the pitch 3 midfielders that play together in the best club of the world (Sporting Club de Portugal [:D]) - Adrien, William, João Mário - specially Adrien, he managed to neutralize Modric, a very difficult task.

I guess the coach had a few words with Ronaldo. I only saw the first half, but he was a completely different player, one more (exceptional obviously) man in the team.

And I should stick to the plan! My prediction (the kicktipp thing) was that Portugal would make it to semi-finals [:D]

As for the negative football, Portugal must use the best style suited to the players they have. So far it's working so fair enough.
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Belgium ! [&o]

I didn't see the other games, and only caught the last 20 minutes of Hungary-Belgium, but...what power and skill ! What talent! Impressive show, IMHO they are a top candidate for winning this championship, if they keep playing like this...
Former AJE team member
JWW

Post by JWW »

Meanwhile Chile wins the Copa America over Argentina 0-0 (4-2). Both teams lose a man ejected in the first half and play 10 on 10 for the rest of the way. In the shootout Messi kicks first for Argentina after the first Chile kick is blocked by the keeper. Messi misses over the crossbar. Chile goes on to make its next four. USA reached the semifinals, a good showing for the USA, but Argentina completely outclassed USA in the semi final game.

I have been enjoying watching both the European Championship and the Copa America on US TV. Not many years ago these games would not have been on US TV.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Belgium ! [&o]

I didn't see the other games, and only caught the last 20 minutes of Hungary-Belgium, but...what power and skill ! What talent! Impressive show, IMHO they are a top candidate for winning this championship, if they keep playing like this...
warspite1

I think we have to be a bit cautious as, let's face it, Hungary are really not very good. That said, after a false dawn in the World Cup and a slow start here, could Belgium now be beginning to show what we believe this group of players is capable of?

Bad news for Wales if so.....

JWW

Post by JWW »

And another bit of Copa America news. Messi says he is retiring from international competition after missing his penalty kick in the finals yesterday. http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36637591
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: Orm

eehhhh???!!! Orm, weren't you an admirer of my football arch-enemy (Mr M.)? You've finally seen the light?
I acknowledge that Mr M has produced some results in the teams he managed. I also acknowledge that he is skilled. And I do not wish, at this point, to resurrect that old debate. That can wait for the next Premier League season.

I merely tried to say that defensive football has been dominating in the Euros.

Return to “General Discussion”