Using LRASM with Command...?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

magi

Using LRASM with Command...?

Post by magi »

I want to test the LRASM series missiles in Command..... It's in the database... however I can't find a platform that accepts it.....
Can anyone help here...?
magi

RE: Using LRASM with Command...?

Post by magi »

ORIGINAL: magi

I want to test the LRASM series missiles in Command..... It's in the database... however I can't find a platform that accepts it.....
Can anyone help here...?
gosnold

Post by gosnold »

The latest database has a f-18 with LRASM. It's unit #3828.
magi

Post by magi »

i found it... i did have to update the database..... thanks...
Schr75

Post by Schr75 »

Try also the latest models B-1B and the hypothetical A-12.
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

you can also mount it using the editor into launchers on ships.
magi

Post by magi »

the dont work that special in the game though.... they do good til they go active... then no more stealth... and they become another target....
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Added note to our worklist to look at adding a datalink to the weapon. We do need to research this though to verify. This should allow you to do whatever with it.

Mike
magi

Post by magi »

That will be really cool..... This LRASM if all of its abilities work as advertised will be a very bad boy indeed.... This thing must be super expensive....
jtoatoktoe

Post by jtoatoktoe »

LRASM isn't even a given for the ships and subs as the Trials for that are to launch next year for fielding in 2024. Could be a Tomahawk, could be LRASM, could be something else. Though you would think LRASM has a advantage being developed with DARPA.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

But I think the ultimate advantage for Tomahawk for anti-ship is range. LRASM is indeed long range and stealthy, but Tomahawk can get better, and it's war-proven effectively for ground attack, even the earlier flights aren't stealthy. The only thing they have to do is the seeking and sea-skimming, because cruising have to fly higher for extra range.
Nightwatch

Post by Nightwatch »

I really dont think range is more important than VLO characteristics. LRASM has more than enough range to be effective while the Tomhawak AShM just wont work against even semi modern air defenses.
Try hitting a chinese Type 052C/D or even Type 054 with the Multi Mission Tomahawk mod. I doesnt work, not unless you hit them with the throw weight of two or three Burkes and effectivley ran them out of missiles. Thats not sustainable, not with the current quantities of missiles being purchased by the US Navy.

Consequently the most responsible solution would be to scrap the ship based AShM entirely and divert all funds to purchase meaningfull quantities of air launched LRASM and ERAM. If necessary, the Anti Ship Mission can be augmented by the Air Force using strategic plattforms. There is no need to put a DDG in harms way if a B-1B offers the same capability.

Chances of that Happening? Nill of course. As usual, they'll end up with the worst of both worlds. Shiny new toys but not enough to matter for at least 10 years.

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Well, of course not just about standoff range and fire tomahawks at surface ships straight-lined. Range can be used as loitering by circling around and edging hostile static/surface defenses, or using terrain to conceal them during the approach (useful for near-shore naval strike). The offset strike is very favorable for numerous situations, something that stealth itself cannot cover with.

My tactics in CMANO is spending around 12-24 T4s, and plotted a various direction of saturation strike at 180 degrees, timing their approach as simultaneously as possible. 2-4 of them are acting as loiterers that edging hostile air defenses, and make them fire AA missiles too early to waste their shots and/or made them vulnerable during the reload. The rest of them are coming at radical directions, so the hostile AA cannot re-lock to other tomahawks if missed, as well as making hostile sensors cannot scan all of them accurately.

But 052C might be too much, I tried that for 24 T4s, and only one of them hits while most of them are either intercepted (2-3 AAMs per T4) or missed because of the jamming. I cannot time their approach right because it's too difficult to plot them, and I need time to find out the best plots.

EDIT: It worked! Whew, 052C is horribly overwhelmed, and take it out with 22 missiles (and 2 extras for nothing). I will submit the test savefile after some fine-tunings. [8D]

EDIT #2: Well, actually worse...

The attack may looks very daunting during the terminal stage, that all tomahawks are surrounding the 052C like running zombies, but VLS and AEGIS (as well as 052C/D) can certainly say that multi-directional saturation attack will not be affected at all. After 20 tests for both single-course launch and surrounding strike, the result is actually single course fares better chances to overwhelm the 052C!

The single course attack fares 35% chance to sink or damage 052C, while multi direction is only 30%...

Wasn't the multi-dimensional missile of doom during the Soviet time (Oscar, Blackjack & Kirov) can overwhelm the 80s AEGIS? Well, if they're facing CG Bunker Hill, the SM-2 can riskily defend them as long as it don't run out. However, 30% is still dangerous, and that's why Burkes was mass-produced to filling this defensive flaw.

In conclusion: 052C/D might sounds underpowered, but VLS ensure such 'daunting' strike thwarted.

---------

That doesn't mean the off-set attack is useless though, it just not well enough to defeat the AA battery, especially a completely flat area like the sea.

And the savefile is in the zip file.
Attachments
RGM-109I Test.zip
(37.51 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
VFA41_Lion

Post by VFA41_Lion »

ORIGINAL: Dysta

But I think the ultimate advantage for Tomahawk for anti-ship is range. LRASM is indeed long range and stealthy, but Tomahawk can get better, and it's war-proven effectively for ground attack, even the earlier flights aren't stealthy. The only thing they have to do is the seeking and sea-skimming, because cruising have to fly higher for extra range.

Except modern Tomahawks don't have anti-ship capability :(
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: VFA41_Lion

ORIGINAL: Dysta

Except modern Tomahawks don't have anti-ship capability :(
Not for now, but was experimented:

https://youtu.be/TOfNNyvplWk

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”