Lambs to the slaughter (Lowpe (J) vs Jocke; BillBrown (A)) Finished

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bif1961

RE: Manila Falls

Post by Bif1961 »

Where is the Coastal Defense counter-fire?
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I'm wondering the same thing. That's strange. I've never really checked. Can the CD units at LA be moved?
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

CD gunfire versus naval bombardments are very weak...but probably pretty well modeled.

Not so against an invasion however.

I don't think the Allies have great search up at present judging from the DL's on my task forces, and you really need lots of night naval search to light up the ships bombarding, plus encounters with other ships, etc., etc.

Also, my ships are keeping their distance -- which helps too.

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Working on the turn, five minutes here and five minutes there now.

Just upgraded all Oscar r&d factories to the Oscar IV. Oscar IIIa in production now, although I left two size 30's producing the IIb for now. I need to check and see how many IIb squadrons I am stuck with for the rest of the game before I totally shut off production of them.

The A6M5b is in production along with the A6M5. 5c is being researched.

The third size 30 Tony D factory starts research today. No engine bonus here, so 1 month r&d to accelerate 1 month roughly. Just want to move this forward to June or Aug of 43 before moving them down the Tony line.

Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

As of 1943 Los Angeles Harbor had at least 8 x 14 Inch guns with half able to fire out to 20 miles, 8 x 12 Inch mortars, 8 x 6 Inch guns and 30 x 155mm guns, not counting AAA and 3 inch rapid fire coastal minefield protection weapons. In 1944 2 X 16 Inch battery was completed and another stopped construction. So depending on your distance from the shore for the bombardment TF, you should have encountered at least the 14 Inch guns.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Game is on a little delay till Saturday...

My experience has taught me you need DL for the CD guns to fire, and even when they fire, if you are at range, the ships are pretty darn hard to hit on bombardment missions. Only when you run in close, and use slower ships is there any real danger from CD guns.

Of course CD guns against invasions are a different story.
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

One exception was that the Majority of the Coastal Defense guns were at Fort MacArthur in San Pedro. So if you had already taken that then all 14 inch guns and 12 inch mortars would have been captured.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Saving this from page two.

No need to thank me, I feel like its my duty [:)]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Turn is away, computer problems du jour are fixed for now, and we are back on track...

Should be an interesting turn...
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Jan 13, 1943

A rough night, as I accidentally stood down my local minesweepers and the Allies laid mines at Santa Ana and hit two oilers, sinking both.

Then I moved a carrier fleet that was providing cover over the Channel Island, and lo and behold, I let one small task force of 1 DD and two AK head there...they were sunk by Allied dive bombers. Since the Allies are attacking my ships on the periphery I shall be able to use that against him in the future.

Then the Allied subs get plenty of attacks ...

Attachments
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (64.3 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

The IJN bombarded LA, San Diego and Camp Pendleton (prior to the attack by the 1st Tank Division).

I was somewhat fearful the Allies would put all their 4E beasties at bombing the troops in Pendleton, but he didn't...I juggled my air cover for no reason.

San Diego Harbor defense is on the ball, but misses...
Attachments
a2.jpg
a2.jpg (81.9 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

A small sortie hits a destroyer squadron as the Allies probe my loc...

Attachments
a3.jpg
a3.jpg (104.83 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh my! Well, in this case Jugs and Lightnings show up in numbers today...their here![X(] Not unexpected, sadly.

At least three squadrons of Jugs show up over Santa Ana...my fighters were elsewhere today, but tomorrow will be interesting.

Tojo IIb will be unloading from AKVs today and tomorrow, as well as Oscar IIb and A6M5. Will they be enough?

I am not looking to win the air war...just protect the ships and troops. Ships to bombard the Allied defenders, and troops to take San Diego.

Attachments
a5.jpg
a5.jpg (53.63 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

A very healthy bombardment of Chunking today...

Lots of destroyed units already. I am bombing heavily daily, but still this is quite unexpected. Perhaps a direct consequence of stacking limits and severe overstacking on the Chinese's part.

Attachments
a5.jpg
a5.jpg (30.24 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

And the big attack...Camp Pendleton and the size 6 runways...goes as expected.

Even though there is no port here...having Pendleton will really help.

Attachments
a4.jpg
a4.jpg (140.9 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I am slogging thru the turn, and it is a slog.

Concerns: The new air frames that the Allies get for the invasion are in play, and I am one day short in taking Pendleton, and my Army based fighters are still one day away.

Subs and mines...minesweepers (local and DMS) are dispatched with patrol zones, careful to stay away from the CD guns. A DMS on minesweeping TF might wander a hex and wander into the CD guns.

Wandering Allied task forces...not much of a threat yet, or at least I feel I have it covered. Constant vigilance is needed here.

My blocking force, initially of over 1000 AV, with lots of tanks and artillery and AA, should make LA today or tomorrow...only two more divisions are on approach, and there is one division unloading now (2nd Tank). Need two more days I think to get most troops unloaded.

Long turns...
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Crucial that you get it right thou.

I bet you are at the triple checking stage by now.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Still working on the turn, and I am mounting another large air operation in addition to all these other clicks.

Jocke has given me another 12 hours to finish the turn, won't need it all as I am very close now.

But, I am spending extra time on triple checking orders as I think Jocke will really try to punch hard tomorrow.
Lowpe

Going to California!

Post by Lowpe »

I saw this little opportunity....potentially a lot of AA guns, so we will go in rather high -- perhaps 15K or even 20K.

Not sure yet.

Attachments
airlosses.gif
airlosses.gif (122.46 KiB) Viewed 66 times
Lowpe

RE: Going to California!

Post by Lowpe »

The Pacific Northwest...

Attachments
airlosses.gif
airlosses.gif (154 KiB) Viewed 66 times

Return to “After Action Reports”