Supplies and Fuels for Panzer/Motorized Divisions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

bin618

Supplies and Fuels for Panzer/Motorized Divisions

Post by bin618 »

I'm playing the largest scenario. In the third turn, the construction of railway can't catch up with my panzer/motorized units and the supplies and fuels that can be dropped are very limited. It seems that these units have to stay where they are in this turn and wait for the extension of railroad. What should I do? Thanks.
Commanderski

RE: Supplies and Fuels for Panzer/Motorized Divisions

Post by Commanderski »

Move additional FBD units to speed up the rail construction, transfer some air transports to the national reserve and them assign them to an air field on the sector you want to concentrate on and keep the air field within 5 hexes of a completed rail hex.

You aren't going to be able to fully supply all your Panzer units at the same time. you have to concentrate on one sector at a time. Once you have sufficient rail coverage in one sector move the FBD units to another.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I've been playing the latest patch after playing the Soviet side for awhile and fuel seems nerfed as far as I can remember.

Recently I've started over and working on putting an extra empty airfield with the Panzers just for refuel purposes. Haven't had a chance to put the ideas into application yet.

I wonder if this thread may help you?

best of luck!
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

I am in the same dilemma. Playing the campaign as the Germans PBEM, and it is turn 6 and since turn 4-5 my panzers all over the front have been at 15-23 or so MPs, not much i can do about it, other than a HQBU, as my HQs are at 20-25 hexes and 30-35 MPs from the railhead.

Hard to break thru much of a Soviet line with 17 MPs, certainly hard to get any kind of encirclements.

The only thing to do is 1) push a little each turn or 2) wait for the infantry and the railhead to move closer or 3) to do HQBUs while also doing #2, although the HQBUs.

Virtually impossible to use airfields to supply the advanced panzers, since they move each turn, so your JU52s are air dropping directly to them after they move without an airbase next to them from the start of the turn, so you can get 3-4 panzer divisions up to 25% fuel this way at best, maybe less per turn. Again, you can stop the panzers and do #2 above and then put an airfield next to them, but that means stopping.

I have to say, it did 'feel right' in that i was past Smolensk with little in front of me and Moscow on turn 5 and supply utterly stopped me, as it should. I am stopped now mostly and doing HQBU as the infantry and rail comes up. Also, moved up airfields right next to the sitting panzers.

Randy
:)
Balou

Post by Balou »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Recently I've started over and working on putting an extra empty airfield with the Panzers just for refuel purposes. Haven't had a chance to put the ideas into application yet.

V 1.09.00: I recently put empty Rumanian airbases in Pz-Corps-HQ-hexes. Almost every time nearly 100% of the onboard fuel loads were delivered.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: Balou

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

V 1.09.00: I recently put empty Rumanian airbases in Pz-Corps-HQ-hexes. Almost every time nearly 100% of the onboard fuel loads were delivered.
Awesome, you saved me some time! Thanks!

Here's my opening day set up for Rumanian Air;

Rumanian Combat Air Command

2nd Rum. Airbase
Transfer IAR-37 to 13th Rum. Airbase

14th Rum. Airbase
Transfer IAR-38 & IAR-39 to 13th Rum. Airbase

15th Rum. Airbase
Transfer 2 groups of IAR-38 to 13th Rum. Airbase

which leaves 2 airbases void of aircraft.

14th Rum. Airbase rails to 64/111
15th Rum Airbase rails to 62/113

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Balou

Post by Balou »

Glad to help, but nonetheless it's one of these nonsense moves one "discovers". But since my beloved FBD5 was removed ...
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
bin618

Post by bin618 »

Thanks everyone for your advice!
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Maybe an ignorant question but how does dropping on to an airbase work? Do they becoome supply HQs just like corps HQs? i.e to anyting within 5 hexes? Can the airbases move? I am playing with an earlier version, was this a later change? I could not find it in the manual?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: bin618

I'm playing the largest scenario. In the third turn, the construction of railway can't catch up with my panzer/motorized units and
the supplies and fuels that can be dropped are very limited. It seems that these units have to stay where they are in this turn and
wait for the extension of railroad. What should I do? Thanks.

No follow Pelton vs whoever AARs or Sapper/TDV/MT

or Choas( USSR) threads

If your going to be any good at WitE you need to under stand logistics. Its basic math few seem to look at.

same goes for WitW which is basic model WitE 2.0 is modeled after.

Its a very very very basic math problem.

Unit x consumes x and y can be deliveried ect ect.

Requires a little thinking out side the box, but not much.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”