Global War AAR in Pictures

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

RE: Global War AAR in Pictures

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Allied #7. Western Allies. MTO.

Attachments
07ALWESTMTO.jpg
07ALWESTMTO.jpg (857.26 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Allied #7. Western Allies. Western Front.

Monty is the only HQ unit around this impulse for all of the Western Front. And it won't be until next turn, or possibly the RTB portion of this turn before any other HQ units can be brought in. Monty and his staff will just have to manage with being in charge and being the only allied HQ unit on the Western Front. This appears to be right up Monty's ally.

Attachments
07ALWEST..rnFront.jpg
07ALWEST..rnFront.jpg (894.32 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Allied #7. End of Turn.

This turn continues.

Attachments
07ALEOT.jpg
07ALEOT.jpg (99.42 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. Weather.

And this unseasonable fine weather across most of the globe continues.

Attachments
09AXWEATHER.jpg
09AXWEATHER.jpg (693.78 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. Actions.

Attachments
09AXActions.jpg
09AXActions.jpg (153.72 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. Germany. The Eastern Front.

No air or land attacks.

Attachments
09AXGERUSSR.jpg
09AXGERUSSR.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. Germany. The Mediterranean Front.

No air or land attacks.

Attachments
09AXGERMed.jpg
09AXGERMed.jpg (607.83 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. Germany. The Western Front.

No air or land attacks.

Attachments
09-AX-GER-..rn-Front.jpg
09-AX-GER-..rn-Front.jpg (772.7 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. Japan. Ground Strike.

With Mao disorganized and the Chinese with only 1 oil, if Japan had gotten lucky and disorganized Stilwell then that would have put the Chinese in a pickle, but the strike failed.

Attachments
09AXJPNGSTK.jpg
09AXJPNGSTK.jpg (404.72 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. Japan. Nationalist, Chinese.

No land attacks.

Attachments
09AXJPN..ionalist.jpg
09AXJPN..ionalist.jpg (815.95 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. Japan. ChiComm.

Terauchi's aggressiveness is once again in display. If this turn continues such that the axis get another impulse then Sian will once again fall to Japanese raiders.

Attachments
09AXJPNChiComm.jpg
09AXJPNChiComm.jpg (914.24 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Axis #9. End of Turn.

But, to Terauchi's frustration this turn comes to and end.

Attachments
09AXEOT.jpg
09AXEOT.jpg (232.96 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Partisans. Yugoslavia.

Attachments
99Partisa..goslavia.jpg
99Partisa..goslavia.jpg (530.75 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

But the Germans are quite happy.

Model and any other units that can should rail out of western France if the Axis goes first. If they don't go first, those units are dead. This is the turn to use any initiative rerolls that anyone has.

Bradley is doing nothing in Taranto. He could have railed forward last impulse. Oh, well. I really hope there is an empty transport the US can land on him, and in the first impulse (a supercombined, unless the weather stinks) either move him to Marseilles or move him to the Bay of Biscay and have him off load adjacent to Brest. The last is probably better; he is closer to the action that way, and the transport can return to someplace useful in the return to base step.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

But the Germans are quite happy.

Model and any other units that can should rail out of western France if the Axis goes first. If they don't go first, those units are dead. This is the turn to use any initiative rerolls that anyone has.

Bradley is doing nothing in Taranto. He could have railed forward last impulse. Oh, well. I really hope there is an empty transport the US can land on him, and in the first impulse (a supercombined, unless the weather stinks) either move him to Marseilles or move him to the Bay of Biscay and have him off load adjacent to Brest. The last is probably better; he is closer to the action that way, and the transport can return to someplace useful in the return to base step.
I had a transport lined up all along for next turn and didn't think about railing him until it was too late. I was planning to rail him and Monty assuming the turn would continue, which it didn't. So, yes, who gets the initiate next turn is critical and the allies will use their re-roll if necessary. The allies win ties, have a +2 advantage and can request a re-roll so if they don't win the initiative given how critical this one is that would be extremely back luck indeed. Or good luck for the axis. But given the rolls in this game because something is improbable doesn't mean it won't happen and often does.
Ronnie
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Here is something else to think about. That's the defense you have against the convoy lines. I'm missing planes in that defense. In all zero and three seaboxes, the Wallies should be able to put either the light CV's with planes in them, or NAV's. If you do, than the German SUB's need really good high rolls to be able to choose submarine combats. That tactic usually is enough to stop the battle of the Atlantic. Any naval air combat by the Allies will abort, damage or even kill a German SUB...
Peter
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

As Germany I stopped to produce subs in my latest games in fact.
And we even use a custom rule that Land Based airplanes are not as efficient (as per there is a variable in Surprise Points to avoid the Naval-Air combat) so that a short range plane placed at the 0 box is not that good.
Still, Germany has way better uses of their BPs, their Oil, and their actions (A combined is often a weight once Barbarossa has started and if it's taken it's to move more planes and some lands units which are necessary, more so than doing a raid against the W.Allies).

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Here is something else to think about. That's the defense you have against the convoy lines. I'm missing planes in that defense. In all zero and three seaboxes, the Wallies should be able to put either the light CV's with planes in them, or NAV's. If you do, than the German SUB's need really good high rolls to be able to choose submarine combats. That tactic usually is enough to stop the battle of the Atlantic. Any naval air combat by the Allies will abort, damage or even kill a German SUB...
I generally try to get or have aircraft in position to get into the 0-box. And, I do like NAV's and carriers in the 4-box. But, truthfully when the diminishing threat from German u-boats the allies have become a bit lax and then when the Germans or Japanese are able to get their subs out the allies still pay the price. It's like the allies forget what the threat can do, they get lax and then respond to the threat when painfully reminded of the damage the threat can inflict.

While it's too late for this game, my goal for next game is to play the perfect game. [:D]
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

As Germany I stopped to produce subs in my latest games in fact.
And we even use a custom rule that Land Based airplanes are not as efficient (as per there is a variable in Surprise Points to avoid the Naval-Air combat) so that a short range plane placed at the 0 box is not that good.
Still, Germany has way better uses of their BPs, their Oil, and their actions (A combined is often a weight once Barbarossa has started and if it's taken it's to move more planes and some lands units which are necessary, more so than doing a raid against the W.Allies).

Personally, I don't see an issue with putting a fighter unit, with no air to sea factors, into the 0-box to make it harder for German subs. Whether or not that fighter unit was there before or put there after the German player announced combat in that sea area. I simply view this as using fighters to spot for u-boats which would help convoys better to avoid them. U-boats travel much faster on the surface than submerged. In fact, in general, that's how they traveled from point to point except when aircraft or warships were present. So, it seems natural to me that a u-boat commander would submerge if he saw he was spotted by a fighter fearing follow up attacks by torpedo or bomber planes. A u-boat on the surface was highly vulnerable to attacks from the air and sea. So my experience leads me to believe that MWiF, and I assume WiF, handles the Battle of the Atlantic and the submarine action in the Pacific very well as is and doesn't need any house rule modifications. In simpler words, I feel that having a fighter in box 0 to force the Germans to have at least 4 surprise points, and use those points to force a sub combat is realistic.

In my game German u-boats and Japanese I-boats have sunk 58 allied CPs and forced another 38 to abort. To start with that's 58 build points that the allies could have used for other things. Then there's the additional cost, effort and frustration that the axis submarine threat has caused the allies. Effort taking away from other endeavors such as their ground war or strategic bombing of Germany. In fact, if the axis mounted no credible sub threat, as the allied player I probably would have axis industry and oil bombed down significantly. More simply put, I feel that the Battle of the Atlantic and Japanese I-boats in the Pacific are effective tools that the axis have to blunt the allies. I feel it diverts attention and significant resources resulting in less pressure or later pressure exerted from the Western Allies on Germany, Italy and Japan.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 28. Mar/Apr 1944. Destroyed and Repair Pools.

Attachments
99Destroy..irPools.jpg
99Destroy..irPools.jpg (607.4 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Ronnie

Return to “After Action Report”