OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Zorch

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Well, besides the Pearl Harbor movie. We're not supposed to speak of that... [:D][:D]
The-Film-That-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned. Ever.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

As a huge Star Wars fan, I don't think anything can be worse than the mediocre and bland "Force Awakens" that JJ Abrams gave us...
My wife and I saw that with two friends on opening night. We hated it. They loved it. Neither of us could understand all the published accolades that followed.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

As a huge Star Wars fan, I don't think anything can be worse than the mediocre and bland "Force Awakens" that JJ Abrams gave us...
My wife and I saw that with two friends on opening night. We hated it. They loved it. Neither of us could understand all the published accolades that followed.

You wouldn't be Chinese, would you? The whole country hated it.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Edit: So why did the Chinese hate it?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

A good friend of mine who is also a huge star wars nerd also hated it. Others who were no quite so fanatical about Star Wars seemed to enjoy it. This has been my anecdotal experience regarding how reactions to the movie played out.

For my part, I thought the story was bad and wholly unimaginative, not to mention illogical at points (don't get me started on the new death star attacking across the infinite distances of space in a matter of seconds). There is a republic, so why is the resistance still a "resistance" and acting like a rebellion if they won? How did this Mary Stu new Jedi girl learn all her powers and become a master jedi in a matter of seconds on a whim? If I recall Luke Skywalker actually had to go to Dagoba and learn from Yoda. That was the most contrived part of the plot I saw in a plot full of contrived developments. Etc. etc. It's been many months since I'd last watched it, so I'd need to refresh my memory of all the criticisms.

Here's a nice LA Times review of the movie: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-star-wars-the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html

Here's a site that gives a decent breakdown on a lot of bad areas: http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/274463/episode-vii-sucks/
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I just read that Ben Affleck was offered the "The Force Awakens" directing job. Hmmm, I wonder how that might've turned out?

He was too busy preparing an NFL/Goodell rant about the Patriots and Brady .... He knew ahead of time that they'd get got ... again .....
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

You wouldn't be Chinese, would you? The whole country hated it.
Me, no; my wife, from Taiwan. The couple we were with: him, no; she is ABC.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The last Star Wars movie I saw was the Return of the Jedi, the year it was released. I'm a big SF fan, but never really got into Star Wars. Nice special effects for the era, but meh story line.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The last Star Wars movie I saw was the Return of the Jedi, the year it was released. I'm a big SF fan, but never really got into Star Wars. Nice special effects for the era, but meh story line.

Bill
Totally agree! Entertaining movies, mostly, but certainly no interesting SF there.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Orm

They didn't have that much exposure to the saga from the beginning, and don't seem to think putting the effort in to see it all worthwhile.

Orm

Post by Orm »

They didn't have that much exposure to the saga from the beginning, and don't seem to think putting the effort in to see it all worthwhile.
Indeed. But hate is much stronger than not interested.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

[quot3]

Gorns never exaggerate. [8|]

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Since I converted (against my will) to Windows 10 I've been having a particular problem, aside from the WitP-AE ones.
Everything starts malfunctioning and I get a warning about being low on memory. I'm not low on memory (well, my PC isn't anyway.).
This never happened with Windows 7 or with Vista to my recollection. I seem to remember something from the misty mist of the dusky dusk of previous operating systems.
IIRC I was having the same problems and I had to partition more disk space for active operations, or something like that.
Does that make any sense? Anyone know how to fix? Here's my hard drive, and clearly there is plenty of room.

Attachments
memory.jpg
memory.jpg (118.96 KiB) Viewed 96 times

dazoline II

Post by dazoline II »

Your drive size is fine, more space than my drive has.
It could be your page file size which is more about RAM than disk size. Take a look at this article.
http://www.kapilarya.com/your-computer- ... windows-10

Since I converted (against my will) to Windows 10 I've been having a particular problem, aside from the WitP-AE ones.
Everything starts malfunctioning and I get a warning about being low on memory. I'm not low on memory (well, my PC isn't anyway.).
This never happened with Windows 7 or with Vista to my recollection. I seem to remember something from the misty mist of the dusky dusk of previous operating systems.
IIRC I was having the same problems and I had to partition more disk space for active operations, or something like that.
Does that make any sense? Anyone know how to fix? Here's my hard drive, and clearly there is plenty of room.

Moscow by winter? Only if you send Fast Heinz to Kiev.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Thanks, daz

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I don't normally inflict these things upon you, but you might want to watch the follow-ons as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvrPnsgmNbQ

Orm

Post by Orm »

[quot3]

Gorns never exaggerate. [8|]

Of course Gorns never exaggerate. [:)]
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Something else to ponder...

Attachments
th.jpg
th.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 96 times
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Something else to ponder...

I've decided from now on I will think of my age in dog years.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Who's a good boy? (arf! arf! arf!) Ohh such a good boy! (tail wagging on overdrive)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”