Reconciliation thread

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

Reconciliation thread

Post by GaryChildress »

Kind of riding piggy back on Mo_Reb's amazingly kind apology to those he may have upset, I feel compelled myself to ask others if my posts seem overly "abrasive" to the point where others see me as a problem in the forum. Honestly I don’t think I intend to offend anyone’s sensibilities but I often feel rather alone in some of my own beliefs here. I took a psychological evaluation recently in which I was told (among other things) that I tend to be “self-absorbed” and not take other people’s feelings into account.

So that's sort of what has been eating away at me for the past day and a half since I was given the evaluation results. I figure it's best to "air it out" than let it spin around in my mind.

Another curiosity, has anyone here ever had a psychological evaluation done to them?

Thanks.
Jim D Burns

RE: Reconciliation thread

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress
Another curiosity, has anyone here ever had a psychological evaluation done to them?

Part of the application process for getting into law enforcement involves extensive psychological testing. It was 30+ years ago but if memory serves I think I did 2 or 3 different oral exams (sit downs with the doctors) and a very long 4-6 hour written exam.

I never was told anything about the tests but since they hired me I guess everything was ok.

Jim
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

I feel compelled myself to ask others if my posts seem overly 'abrasive' to the point where others see me as a problem in the forum

Are you serious? There is a green button by the way, which I never used. You are a very respectful, kind user (I know you from the WitP forum, when you and I were quite active)

Never.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Zap

Post by Zap »

Yes, on the psychological evaluation. Employer required for hire. Certain jobs that deal in caring for people require it.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

" I took a psychological evaluation recently in which I was told (among other things) that I tend to be “self-absorbed” and not take other people’s feelings into account"

You and every other human on the planet.[:D]
Don't take those witchdoctors seriously.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Part of the application process for getting into law enforcement involves extensive psychological testing. It was 30+ years ago but if memory serves I think I did 2 or 3 different oral exams (sit downs with the doctors) and a very long 4-6 hour written exam.

I never was told anything about the tests but since they hired me I guess everything was ok.

Jim

I took mine because I'm diagnosed with a mental illness (Bipolar I). The doctor sat down with me at the end of all the testing and went through it line by line. It was kind of interesting. However, at some points I was sort of thinking to myself, how did they extract that conclusion out of that particular test? For example, I took a Rorschach test and that was apparently the one (if I understood her correctly) that indicated to the doctor that I tend to be self absorbed (although she did temper it by saying that it wasn't extreme). I mean looking at my own tendencies I agree with the results, I'm just perplexed how looking at ink blots can determine that. [X(]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
I feel compelled myself to ask others if my posts seem overly 'abrasive' to the point where others see me as a problem in the forum

Are you serious? There is a green button by the way, which I never used. You are a very respectful, kind user (I know you from the WitP forum, when you and I were quite active)

Never.

Thank you TulliusDetritus. Likewise, to you. :)

The WitP forum was good times. Wish we could muster another team like the AE team and come up with a WitP II.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

" I took a psychological evaluation recently in which I was told (among other things) that I tend to be “self-absorbed” and not take other people’s feelings into account"

You and every other human on the planet.[:D]
Don't take those witchdoctors seriously.

Much thanks. I try to keep in mind that psychiatry is very much still in its infancy. though I sort wonder if we humans will ever fully understand out own minds. I'm sort of reminded of a Medieval doctor who maybe wants very badly to help a patient but just doesn't have the technology available to do it and so maybe ends up further exacerbating the problem in some cases.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Well Gary you gave to Rhonda's final expenses fund. Whatever you may post in a forum that certainly credits you for not being totally "self-absorbed". Stay with the forum either way as you are a good contributor.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

I took mine because I'm diagnosed with a mental illness (Bipolar I).

Sorry to hear that but you will have to live and deal with the problem [:)] Easier said than done but you have no other choice. Personally I don't know bipolar people, except a friend's friend thing.

If I well understood one day you are the king of the universe and then next day you think you're worthless.

Look at this list of bipolar people. Maybe you already did. The thing is they have normal (and sometimes exceptional) lives. The pessimist cycle is still there awaiting, I know [:)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

I took mine because I'm diagnosed with a mental illness (Bipolar I).

If I well understood one day you are the king of the universe and then next day you think you're worthless.

That pretty much sums up my experience with it. Only I tend to get paranoid delusional episodes that top off my manic ones.

It's an interesting life experience over all, not all bad. Just very strange and different at times. [X(]
Orm

Post by Orm »

I've had it once. A lot of hokum if you ask me. But what do I know. [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

I feel compelled myself to ask others if my posts seem overly "abrasive" to the point where others see me as a problem in the forum.
I see you as a valuable member of this community and your posts as interesting.

And your posts has never shown any tendencies of being “self-absorbed”.

And I know you think of others.

And I still recall your temporary 'signature'. I really appreciated that change and the thought behind it.

Thank you, Gary, for enriching this forum. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Orm
I feel compelled myself to ask others if my posts seem overly "abrasive" to the point where others see me as a problem in the forum.
I see you as a valuable member of this community and your posts as interesting.

And your posts has never shown any tendencies of being “self-absorbed”.

And I know you think of others.

And I still recall your temporary 'signature'. I really appreciated that change and the thought behind it.

Thank you, Gary, for enriching this forum. [:)]

You being one of the most civil posters I've ever met on the Internet, I appreciate the sentiment, Orm. [&o]
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Jim

I took mine because I'm diagnosed with a mental illness (Bipolar I). The doctor sat down with me at the end of all the testing and went through it line by line. It was kind of interesting. However, at some points I was sort of thinking to myself, how did they extract that conclusion out of that particular test? For example, I took a Rorschach test and that was apparently the one (if I understood her correctly) that indicated to the doctor that I tend to be self absorbed (although she did temper it by saying that it wasn't extreme). I mean looking at my own tendencies I agree with the results, I'm just perplexed how looking at ink blots can determine that. [X(]
I took the ink blot test and how they tell is by the subjective ink splots that you claim to identify. For example I am delusional paranoid can you guess what most of them were for me?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Jim

I took the ink blot test and how they tell is by the subjective ink splots that you claim to identify. For example I am delusional paranoid can you guess what most of them were for me?

When I looked at the blots I called one humans dancing and a couple with strange critters in them. Another was some sort of fantastical mythical creature, I told them. I'd be very interested to hear what you saw, if you feel up to sharing.

EDIT: Oh, and there was one I said was two butlers bowing to each other.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I always go by the maxim "If no one has yelled at me, then I'm probably not being too much of a jerk." It has worked pretty well over the years.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

When I looked at the blots I called one humans dancing and a couple with strange critters in them. Another was some sort of fantastical mythical creature, I told them. I'd be very interested to hear what you saw, if you feel up to sharing.

Most were people or creatures spying on me or each other or hiding from being seen.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Most were people or creatures spying on me or each other or hiding from being seen.

Were you having an episode at the time you took the test? Or was it after a recent episode? I've been pretty stable lately so that might be why I didn't really think of anything like that. Most of my episodes have ended in extreme paranoia also.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Gary, whilst I am not a big contributor to the forums myself, I have read your posts with great interest over many years. I do not recognise the person these psychological tests are suggesting you are. There may be a couple of posters who match that description, but you are not, and never have been, one of them.
A Sharif

Return to “General Discussion”