The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

I think next turn is the last one in which John can pounce upon the herd with masses of LBA combined with KB strike aircraft. After that his opportunities are likely only to be KB vs. Death Star, at least for a long time to come.

I thought John might not commit KB because he'd want to see how his hardened targets (Truk, Eniwetok, Ponape, Marianas) handled the invasion without risking KB. I hope this is right. If so, Death Star will move on to a region where John doesn't have any major airfields and which, soon, the Allies should. The region is very important (but not decisive), so John's going to be conflicted: should he commit KB against Death Star when the Allies are sitting there turn after turn, week after week, taking and building a large grouping of interlocking airfields and ports. It's going to be a dilemma for him.

He may commit and he may win the ensuing battle, but I think Big Tent (once safely away from Truk in another two days) is going to put him under immense pressure to do something under conditions that don't necessarily favor him.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

"egress" is slightly purple but an absolutely crucial WWII naval battle word.

I feel sorry for the Free French. They practice for months looking at plaster of paris maps of Satawal and recon
photos, their first chance to regain national honor fighting sand fleas and coconut v head strikes and then you cancel it on D-Day -1.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

No, the Free French are going in tonight. It's the Americans of the 41st Regimental Combat Team who don't get to assault Wolei after spending a half-year prepping for Eniwetok. They're pretty happy about it.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

<aboard an unnamed APD>

Cpl Cloutier: Henri! Le operation, she is ohn! Today Satawal! Tomorrow Saigon!

<All stand and begin singing>

If you turn me down one more time I'll zhoin ze Franch Foregin Legion
Bet you zey would welcome me wis open arms

First you love me, yes, zen you love me, no
I don't know where I stand.....

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

John will follow his MO once he identifies your invasions. Multiple SC TFs will be coming to try to disrupt your landings within the first week, me thinks.
[center]Image[/center]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Aboard the USS Overton, a Clemson class APD making 20 knots on a southwest heading, 97 miles WSW of Truk).

Sous-lieutenant Pierre Herve, New Caledonia Detachment, Free French Army: "Je suis fatigué de cette baignoire puante. Mes aisselles odeur comme le fromage de chèvre."
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Je suis fatigué de cette baignoire puante. Mes aisselles odeur comme le fromage de chèvre."

I like goat cheese. There is always one guy like that complaining about everything.
T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Egress is not a Purple word, it is a Khaki word. Perfectly acceptable in this context.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: T Rav

Egress is not a Purple word, it is a Khaki word. Perfectly acceptable in this context.
So, is "ingress" purple?
How about "Congress"?? [:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Ingress is also Khaki. Congress, however, is usually ineffective and difficult to understand. I wouldn't use that word no matter what color it is.
poodlebrain

Post by poodlebrain »

ORIGINAL: T Rav

Ingress is also Khaki. Congress, however, is usually ineffective and difficult to understand. I wouldn't use that word no matter what color it is.
You might not understand Congress, but I'm willing to bet you could have easily understandable and effective congress with Natalie Portman while not wearing Khaki.
Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.
T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Though Ms. Portman is particularly attractive, the Congress I was referring to is not as much. If you could arrange a congress with Ms. Portman without my wife lopping my head off, let me know.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

11/9/43

Big Tent: Big Tent finally gets underway with a successful, smooth, uncontested landing at Satawal atoll. PBYs are stationed here to provide boosted nav search. No sign of enemy combat ships or carriers, but I'm pretty sure John is marshalling his forces now. I do think he's going to grow desperate to intervene once he knows what the targets are. He said via email he knows, but I think he's just guessing a bit. Where the herd is huddled now, combined with it's general vector of movement, should lead him to certain conclusions. But he's already boasted before that he knew, plus recon and SigInt give proof to where he thought the invasion would take place. Something big could happen soon, but the herd is moving away from Truk now, so he should no longer have the benefit of massed LBA to supplement his carriers. Things could go sour, but the most dangerous stretch of ocean has now been covered. From now on, I think any battle that happens will be on even turf (or possibly even on turf favoring the Allies.

Partly this is because of "Eldorado." I'm now revealing it (see map, which dates from two weeks back). This base gives the Allies important Nav Search capability and a "home port" designation for all TFs. That way, if battle damage happens, my TFs don't auto-seek some distantly dangerous base like Wake or Jaluit.

The herd should be no more than five days from commencing landings now, beginning with the two most important targets and nearby dot hexes that should be easy to take and which can be built large.

I'm not going to invade Wolei. It's more important, I think, to move expeditiously now. The herd will not retire back the way it came, as originally planned, so Wolei isn't as important as it was.

Attachments
103043E..Nabire.jpg
103043E..Nabire.jpg (625.38 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Here's today's map showing the taking of Satawal and the movement of the herd west from Truk.

Attachments
110943BigTent.jpg
110943BigTent.jpg (497.23 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Here's a map from two days back (game time) that explains the "Eldorodo" idea in more detail.

Attachments
11 07 43 Eldorado.jpg
11 07 43 Eldorado.jpg (380.18 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Here's the Strategic Map that tipped off Nabire back in late October.

Attachments
102743S..Eldorado.jpg
102743S..Eldorado.jpg (221.71 KiB) Viewed 48 times
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Very cunning!&#128515; Enjoying the game play, pops popcorn.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Very cunning!&#128515; Enjoying the game play, pops popcorn.
Yes, CR is working to make PBM players (of either side) paranoid as to what their opponents might be up to!
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

[:D]
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

This is because CR does not own a TV. The rest of us are watching Game of Thrones and Dan is studying the map willing magical bases to appear.[&o]
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

Return to “After Action Reports”