Lend Lease Murmansk question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

tom730_slith

Lend Lease Murmansk question

Post by tom730_slith »

I'm having another go at solitaire Global War and the Germans are doing VERY well in Russia.
CW has been sending 3 BPs a turn to help the Reds via convoys to Murmansk. As the Russians have been pushed further east (past the Urals now!) I noticed that the Bps from CW have been "lost."
Is this correct? Is it not possible for the Russians to use the BPs in Murmansk at some point? Curious as to how this works.
Orm

RE: Lend Lease Murmansk question

Post by Orm »

USSR should be able to use 1 of the traded BPs in Murmansk and the rest lost unless they can reach another Soviet city.

Lend leased build points can be used as follows.

1 BP for city in hex or 2 BP for capital in the hex.
+1 BP / factory in the hex.
+1 BP if there is a major port in the hex.

So, for example, if Leningrad was receiving the BPs instead and was cut off then it could receive 4 BPs. 1 for city, +2 for factories, and +1 for major port.

I am, however, not sure if it is the original ("printed") factories that are counted for this or if it is the current factories.

----

Remember to check that transported resources or oil has not used up the CPs needed to transport the BPs.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Tom, in case you don't know, if USSR still holds Archangel, you can still get them snow permitting (it's a port that can freeze).
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

Interesting - Archangel is not Axis controlled, but it is frozen over. Murmansk is still Soviet and doesn't freeze.
I'll check what happens next turn.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

In such an event, you can only get 1 build point to Murmansk, if you haven't railed a factory there by the USSR and if the railroad to the south has been cut by the Axis.
Peter
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Rail factories to Murmansk.

Rail factories to Archangel.

Ship BPs _and_ resources to Murmansk.

Ship BPs _and_ Oil to Archangel on summer turns. Save the oil for use in the factory in winter.

Deploy HQ-I Alexander and four infantry to defend these locales if necessary.
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Rail factories to Murmansk.

Rail factories to Archangel.

Ship BPs _and_ resources to Murmansk.

Ship BPs _and_ Oil to Archangel on summer turns. Save the oil for use in the factory in winter.

Deploy HQ-I Alexander and four infantry to defend these locales if necessary.

Wow, having done several solo Global Wars I can see the wisdom of doing all these things.
Thanks!
I'm still having a blast with this game and learning new stuff all the time. Of course next game the USSR will likely do at least some of what is suggested above, so the Axis will have to plan accordingly. Maybe early on start building up a force in northern Finland? Tough with the terrain and lack of "reliable rail service."
Historically the Germans brought forces thru Norway and northern Sweden, but the map seems to make this impossible. I guess an additional mixed force Army with decent movement and at least one HDQTRS unit will need to be focused on Archangel, and maybe some Nav TRNS units in Norway to move some landsers to help the Finns (and I'm guessing Mannerheim?) take Murmansk?
That's off the top of my head and assumes Norway gets taken and the Kriegsmarine can keep a couple NAV TRNS afloat…
What other counter-strategies work against a smart Stalin like described?
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

For what I Know OIL cannot be used by factories once placed in map.
It cannot be exactly stocked for that purpose (otherwise tbh any resource could be stocked, if I can stock oil surely I can stock too metal alloys, etc).
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

It cannot be exactly stocked for that purpose (otherwise tbh any resource could be stocked, if I can stock oil surely I can stock too metal alloys, etc).
I will quote the rulebook to answer this one.

13.5.1 Oil (AfA option 48)
Saved oil resources (AfA option 31)

You can use saved oil resources either to reorganize units or as resources for production. Treat them exactly
like printed oil resources.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

A standard strategy for me is to stockpile oil in England to mitigate the impact of having the turn end after German u-boats have disputed convoy lines in the Atlantic. The stockpile oil is used to feed English factories that were being fed by conveyed resources that now can't reach the factories because of the disruption.

For the Soviets I also save oil in or East of the Urals. In my current game it was this stockpiled oil that keep Soviet factories working near full capacity after the Germans cut those factories off from the oil in the Caucuses.
Ronnie
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Thank you for these great playing strategies. Both ideas are so obvious but yet, not...

Return to “World in Flames”