Schwerpunkt Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

irene

Schwerpunkt Games

Post by irene »

Would any one have any idea as to how to access the Schwerpunkt Games website? Every link that I have found sends me to a balnk page at the new Wargammer site.

Thanks.
alantaylor

RE: Schwerpunkt Games

Post by alantaylor »

lecrop

Post by lecrop »

The old Wargamer forums are still functional:

http://old.wargamer.com/forums/threads.asp?f=163
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: lecrop

The old Wargamer forums are still functional:

http://old.wargamer.com/forums/threads.asp?f=163

But the link to Schwerpunkt isn't.
irene

Post by irene »

Thanks, alantaylor. Forum is working but, as aaatoysandmore stated, one still cannot access their website. Appreciate all the feedback and help.
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Probably with all the changes going on at Wargamer they stopped hosting Schwerpunkt...
I posted a warning to Ron, let's hope he fixes it.

Regards
Former AJE team member
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

So, any news...? [&:]
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Ron answered on the old wargamer forum today:

"I am continuing to develop WWII-Europe while waiting on a decision on where to host the Schwerpunkt web site. Got word today that I should know something this week.

Thanks for your patience,
Ron"

Cheers
Former AJE team member
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

http://schwerpunktgames.com/

Awesome! [:)] Thanks!
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Seeking opinions

What are the comparisons with War in the East and War in the West with Ron's WWII E.

Don't bother mentioning the AI, not relevant to me.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

It is down to individual taste, but I find the Schwerpunkt user interface dreadful in this days and age. OK for very small scenarios, but to much effort for anything larger. On that basis I would go with the GG titles. However, I think I can see an opposing view coming over the horizon. :)
A Sharif
Freyr Oakenshield

Schwerpunkt UI takes some getting used to... [:D]
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Interface is rarely an issue with me. Just about any war game other than Battle Academy has a UI that requires a mini manual to explain. I felt the World In Flames UI was fairly work intensive. I find the John Tiller UI for his games is a bit of work with the main advantage being once you master it you can understand almost all of his games.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
lecrop

Post by lecrop »

I love Schwerpunkt's wargames.

But I must to admit that it's for diehard fans of board wargames only.
Freyr Oakenshield

The UI is not bad, but as I said it takes getting used to. When you start playing these games, it might be sligtly off-putting, but over time, if you play frequently, you simply get accustomed to it, and soon stop paying attention to its quirks.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Seeking opinions

What are the comparisons with War in the East and War in the West with Ron's WWII E.

Haha, first I'll mention the AI, just so you'll know. In a defensive role it's adequate on land. Naval AI is variable based upon which scenario being played, but only sometimes adequate. I've not played against the offensive AI much at all, so can't really speak to that but have heard that it's not good at exploiting breakthroughs. I can't vouch for that.

At this point in the game's development some of the promised scenarios are not yet implemented, but Ron cranks out a few with each update. The monster Western front and the comprehensive war in Europe scenarios are not yet implemented. Barbarossa is implemented.

The UI does take some getting used to but it grows on you to some extent, I think. The only problem I currently have with the UI is in naval movement, if there are large numbers of ships for a given scenario.

It's much more of a wargamer's board-game feel than a computer game like Grigsby's. Supply is much simplified compared to Grigsby's games, as are the amphibious and paradrop mechanisms. WWIIE does offer some really nice combat preview and combat results features. The supply and command and control features are really quite intuitive and well-done, while being simplified, and both have a major impact of course on combat and movement.

Air combat is completely different than in Grigsby's game, in that the player is in control of individual squadrons on a turn by turn basis, giving roles and directing movement individually, rather than the more abstract mission system of Grigsby's games. I playtested Grigsby's War in the West, and can say clearly that Schwerpunckt's air game is MUCH more like what you would be used to if you have been brought up on board war games. You'll be in direct control of all possible offensive and defensive roles for your aircraft. And transport.

The map is beautiful and detailed, much more pleasing that Grigsby's in my opinion, though I have no complaints about Grigsby's.

Playing a scenario can be as few as 5-6 turns or 20-30 based upon the scope of the scenario, and of course there are many more scenarios to choose from.

Playing WWIIE is like having a history lesson. OOBs and setup are thoroughly researched and implemented, and easy to view the command structure both on map and in chart form.

I've been playing Dockal's games for five or six years, and have playtested WWIIE, and really love them.

Ron Dockal has been quite attentive to player suggestions and bug reports also.

wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner
ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Seeking opinions

Haha, first I'll mention the AI, just so you'll know. In a defensive role it's adequate on land. Naval AI is variable based upon which scenario being played, but only sometimes adequate. I've not played against the offensive AI much at all, so can't really speak to that but have heard that it's not good at exploiting breakthroughs. I can't vouch for that.

At this point in the game's development some of the promised scenarios are not yet implemented, but Ron cranks out a few with each update. The monster Western front and the comprehensive war in Europe scenarios are not yet implemented. Barbarossa is implemented.

The UI does take some getting used to but it grows on you to some extent, I think. The only problem I currently have with the UI is in naval movement, if there are large numbers of ships for a given scenario.

It's much more of a wargamer's board-game feel than a computer game like Grigsby's. Supply is much simplified compared to Grigsby's games, as are the amphibious and paradrop mechanisms. WWIIE does offer some really nice combat preview and combat results features. The supply and command and control features are really quite intuitive and well-done, while being simplified, and both have a major impact of course on combat and movement.

Air combat is completely different than in Grigsby's game, in that the player is in control of individual squadrons on a turn by turn basis, giving roles and directing movement individually, rather than the more abstract mission system of Grigsby's games. I playtested Grigsby's War in the West, and can say clearly that Schwerpunckt's air game is MUCH more like what you would be used to if you have been brought up on board war games. You'll be in direct control of all possible offensive and defensive roles for your aircraft. And transport.

The map is beautiful and detailed, much more pleasing that Grigsby's in my opinion, though I have no complaints about Grigsby's.

Playing a scenario can be as few as 5-6 turns or 20-30 based upon the scope of the scenario, and of course there are many more scenarios to choose from.

Playing WWIIE is like having a history lesson. OOBs and setup are thoroughly researched and implemented, and easy to view the command structure both on map and in chart form.

I've been playing Dockal's games for five or six years, and have playtested WWIIE, and really love them.

Ron Dockal has been quite attentive to player suggestions and bug reports also.

Gary, thank you for your detailed insight...much appreciated! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
operating

Post by operating »

Been curious about this game found this intro vid that helps to explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjn0g24Vdu4
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “General Discussion”