European Championship

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Dixie

RE: European Championship

Post by Dixie »

It's been an interesting tournament so far really. Looks like Roy's master plan has paid off, finish second in the group so we'll face Iceland in the next round [:D] He's a genius I tell you!

It's great to see the smaller nations aren't just making up the numbers as people suggested beforehand. France were a bit pants really and Pogba has failed to impress anyone despite pre tournament predicitions [X(]

All three of the British representatives are through, which is nice. England have promised much and delivered less, which is normal.

Iceland are through at their first ever finals and were only 2nd by 1 goal difference! [8D] Pretty cool.

Spain lost to Croatia and lost their top spot in the group.

It turns out that Belgium might be slightly overrated.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Well, haven't see the game (RL work...[8|]) but now I have seen the goals.
Finally Ronaldo did something. Our keeper seemed to be badly beaten in all goals.

Nevertheless, here we are, limping along to the round of 16 (I think we will be the last third that goes through...[:D])
If we continue this way Croatia will have a field day...

Congratulations Hungary and Iceland ![X(] [&o]
Former AJE team member
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well I am not at all confident of beating Iceland. They will sit back and, as we know, with the team of football geniuses that England don't possess, breaking them down and penetrating their defence is not going to be easy. We need to get a goal early and force the Icelanders to commit players forward or.....

And we still get France in the Q/F even if we manage to win that.....

Nice work Roy....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Soooooooo pleased for the Magyars - even though they did not wear their green socks [:(]

Orm

Post by Orm »

[:)]

I am not saying that you are wrong about Roy and England. But, may I humbly suggest, that you let them play first. They are, after all, through to the next stage. Undefeated I might add.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Well done, Iceland. You got me 5 mighty points. th1207, watch your back, I'm coming!

"Well I am not at all confident of beating Iceland"

Iceland is the least of your problems

So on what side is Portugal? On the death side (Germany and co.) or the pub friends (Wales etc)?
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am not saying that you are wrong about Roy and England. But, may I humbly suggest, that you let them play first. They are, after all, through to the next stage. Undefeated I might add.

warspite1

Well by all means you can suggest it, but I don't think that will stop England fans of a certain age, raised on a non-stop diet of non-qualification, close shave, plucky defeat, deserved defeat, rubbish football, Germans, rubbish manager, rubbish luck, Argentinians, golden generation [8|], broken metatarsels, dumb tactics, Portuguese, Hand of God, petulant players, more Germans, and utter despair, to go along with your suggestion [:D]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Iceland is the least of your problems
warspite1

Yep I think the England supporters on this forum have made that perfectly clear.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Good luck to Sweden and the Irish tonight... hold on, I have Bonucci and Alderweirald in my fantasy team. Good luck to the Italians and Belgians too [;)]

loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

... Argentinians, ..

aargh, as a Scotland fan of a certain age I try not to think of the outbreak of national hubris/idiocy which was Scotland in the 1978 World Cup.

I must admit I am really enjoying these euros (even if we were too inept to actually qualify), but do suspect that by the QF stage the old traditional order will start to re-asset itself
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

... Argentinians, ..

aargh, as a Scotland fan of a certain age I try not to think of the outbreak of national hubris/idiocy which was Scotland in the 1978 World Cup.

I must admit I am really enjoying these euros (even if we were too inept to actually qualify), but do suspect that by the QF stage the old traditional order will start to re-asset itself
warspite1

Yes, I was referring to 1986 of course [:)]

No wish to deepen your gloom by bringing up 1978.... My first World Cup was 1974 and still clearly remember the Scots unluckily going out without being beaten (courtesy of not being able to score enough against Zaire). But 1978 was something quite different wasn't it? What is there that is left to be said about "Ally's army" and that whole sorry debacle?..... probably nothing would be best [;)] Well, there's always a silver lining - Archie Gemmill [&o]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3FvlWyyAKg

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

Well by all means you can suggest it, but I don't think that will stop England fans of a certain age, raised on a non-stop diet of non-qualification, close shave, plucky defeat, deserved defeat, rubbish football, Germans, rubbish manager, rubbish luck, Argentinians, golden generation [8|], broken metatarsels, dumb tactics, Portuguese, Hand of God, petulant players, more Germans, and utter despair, to go along with your suggestion [:D]
Well spoken. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

I have very fond memories of the Scottish fans since '92.

Not that the other countries fans were bad. The English and Germans were great. [:)] But the Scots were exceptional. And that kiss sealed the deal. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Incredible - that Hoolahan miss and that was it wasn't it? All over, Ireland out....

....and then, a few seconds later, a peach of a cross that Brady connects with and they're through [:)]

Wow!

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Finally we had Ronaldo today.
Congratz to Iceland and Hungary.
Speaking about top great players, it was with great sadnesses that I watched Ibra's last match wearing the Sweedish jersey.
The Euro and World competitions will miss him. I surely will.
gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Italy played with full substitude players vs Ireland not to match with Spain in the next round..
I think it showed Italy not very prestigious team. İn fact in simular situation Brasil vs Costa Rica group match, Brazil do not need to win in World Cup in 2002 for next round, But they did.. putting Turkey in 3rd place in the end.[8D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Baris

Italy played with full substitude players vs Ireland not to match with Spain in the next round..
I think it showed Italy not very prestigious team. Similarly Brasil vs Costa Rica group match Brazil do not need to win in World Cup in 2002, But they did.. putting Turkey in 3rd place in the end.[8D]
warspite1

But because of the head to head with Belgium weren't Italy already guaranteed top spot??

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

A chance now for Ireland to avenge their own "Hand of God" and the World Cup qualifier against the French [:)]

Attachments
559328-224..560-1440.jpg
559328-224..560-1440.jpg (38.2 KiB) Viewed 104 times

cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

But because of the head to head with Belgium weren't Italy already guaranteed top spot??
Yes.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Baris

I think it showed Italy not very prestigious team.

Italians, along with the Germans and Brazilians mean business. Competitive beasts, one head well above the other teams. A tournament must be won. Next question [8D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934

Return to “General Discussion”