Ship Withdrawal/Naval Commander Selection

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

krb3

Ship Withdrawal/Naval Commander Selection

Post by krb3 »

Newbie with a few questions regarding play.

Ship Withdrawal--I presently have a ship that is past due for withdrawal. Problem is that it is damaged. Do I have to repair prior to withdrawing ship? Do I get penalized PP everyturn...meaning if it is 7 days late and penalty is 20 would I be penalized a 140 PP points this turn, 8 days late 160 PP points etc? What happens if it gets sunk on it's way to wothdrawal point? The book says ship must be off-map or at any national home base. What is home base, any base that I occupy. In this case the ship is British so a British port?

Can you select the Naval commander you want for a TF. When I form a TF I have the Auto Commander toggled off so I think that I should be able to select my own commander but I can't. Do I have to toggle something somewhere to be able to do that other than the auto Commander toggled off?

I have a TF that just refuse's to be refueled while at sea. Could someone explain how that happens?

Thanks for the help.
Bullwinkle58

RE: Ship Withdrawal/Naval Commander Selection

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

48. Gameplay Change: Allow ship withdrawals at any on map level-9 port and some smaller ports with no enemy nearby. Ships can always be withdrawn from any off- map port or from any TF that is currently off map. Ships that are not badly damaged can be withdrawn from some on-map ports or from TFs in certain on-map regions. For on map, ship may not be on fire, total damage may not exceed 99 and no individual damage type (system, floatation, engine) may exceed 50. Ships may not be withdrawn from any on-map location where the enemy has air superiority. The
intent is to prevent withdrawal as a method of saving a ship that stands a good chance of being lost or further damaged.

On map withdrawal ports are set based on the historical exit locations for ships leaving the Pacific:

1. Any level 9 port.

2. National home ports of the United States, Canada, India, Australia, and New
Zealand (with no port level requirement)

3. Any level 7 or larger port on the US or Canadian West Coast.

4. Any level 7 or larger Indian port West of Ceylon (including Ceylon itself)

5. Any level 7 or larger port in South Eastern Australia, plus Perth.

6. Any level 7 or larger port in New Zealand.
The Moose
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Courtesy of Alfred:

Ship Withdrawal 101
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Can you select the Naval commander you want for a TF. When I form a TF I have the Auto Commander toggled off so I think that I should be able to select my own commander but I can't. Do I have to toggle something somewhere to be able to do that other than the auto Commander toggled off?

No. It's either Auto-Select or go back in after you formed the TF.

I have a TF that just refuses to be refueled while at sea. Could someone explain how that happens?
More details and/or a screen cap will help us discern the problem
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

No. It's either Auto-Select or go back in after you formed the TF.

I have a TF that just refuse's to be refueled while at sea. Could someone explain how that happens?
More details and/or a screen cap will help us discern the problem
If you try to replace the commander in the TF screen by clicking on the name, you will have to pay PP - sometimes a lot of PP - to replace him with someone from the available officers list.

There is another way to do this. The flagship is marked with an * symbol and it usually the largest naval vessel in the TF, or if there are no naval vessels, the largest merchant vessel. The TF commander is usually the captain of the flagship. If you have another vessel of the same type and size as the flagship your can replace the flagship by removing the one you want as flagship from the TF, then adding it back in. When all other things are equal, last in decides which is the flagship. Of course you should check the captain of this new flagship has the right stuff to be a TF commander.

Note that if you have a TF commander who is not the flagship's captain, you lose the commander when the TF disbands and if you want to use him again - you pay more PP. For this reason it is better to change unsatisfactory ship captains instead of buying TF admirals with your PP. To do this, instead of working in the TF screen click on a ship to bring up the ship unit screen and then change the captain.

For very high value TFs like Fleet Carriers (Air Combat TF) the best commanders are not eligible to be ship captains so I sometimes bite the bullet on spending the PP to get Mitscher or Spruance, but I try not to disband the TF when I get to port.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”