EIN FESTE BURG version 1.2

Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

(Gabrielle d'Estrées and her sister)

This mod replaces the music from the game with sixteenth and seventeenth century music.

The non-Steam version of the mod can be downloaded here (installation instructions inside and at end of this post):

https://app.box.com/s/ip3b3agbywyvdu9huhpcuozokha60pxd

The Steam version of the mod can be downloaded here:

https://app.box.com/s/n4i1junk0vqoj9q76xybdgo4w6ozl3dy

The point of departure for this mod is Bruit Bleu's excellent Baroque Music Mod.

My original feeling was to leave well enough alone, since whatever changes I felt like making to his work seemed best confined to my own private copy.

Having already made a few music mods myself, I am fully aware of just how much work went into putting together his selections. He did a fabulous job, and we are all very much in his debt.

Unfortunately, as I played the game using his mod I quickly became aware that the randomness 'feature' of the music selection engine was preventing me from hearing more than a handful of the pieces he had chosen.

Not only that, but many of the pieces that were selected by the engine were played over and over again, and the repetitions were often back to back.

Bruit Bleu's mod is extremely varied and anything but boring, but the selection engine was making it seem limited and repetitive.

The repetitive feature of the engine sticking on a few selections may eventually get resolved in a future patch.

But in the meantime I've come up with a brute force solution that I hope will nuke the issue.

I've identified 38 music clips that I want to hear in the music mod, most of them from Bruit Bleu's original selection, though I've added a few of my own.

37 of the music clips will always play in the same order because I've merged them into one large sound file (100 Mb). There are pauses built into the sound clip, so you don't need to adjust your options settings. Listening to the main sound clip will take well over an hour, so you're unlikely to notice any repetition unless you like to indulge in marathon gaming sessions.

Since the choice of selections will always be fixed, I had to put some editorial thought into exactly which ones got played, and in what order.

I decided that I wanted to restrict the music that you hear to the period of the war or earlier. I also decided to exclude music relating to geographical areas outside of the theater of operations. And finally, in keeping with the sectarian nature of the war, I decided that I wanted to include more identifiably Protestant music, including two different versions of Martin Luther's famous hymn that the non-Catholic participants probably sang every Sunday.

Because you won't be able to look inside the mod and identify specific pieces of music by looking at their files (the way you can in Bruit Bleu's mod), I've provided a playlist that lists the pieces in the order that you will hear them.

Loading Music: Jacob Praetorius - Salve decus suecorum Rex Gustave Adolphe

01: Claudio Monteverdi - L'Orfeo (overture)

02: Alessandro Orologio - Intrada

03: Martin Luther - Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott

04: Gregorio Allegri - Miserere mei Deus

05: Hans Leo Hassler - Intrada IV

06: Adam Jarzebski - Tamburetta

07: Anon.- Bransle de village

08: Bartholomaus & Paul Hess - Tanz und Nachtanz

09: Claudio Monteverdi - Ave Maria

10: Heinrich Schütz - Die Himmel erzählen die Ehre Gottes

11: Ennemond Gaultier - Canaries

12: Giovanni Gabrieli - Canzon No.8

13: Giovanni Maria Trabaci - La Scabrosetta

14: Johann Walter - Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott

15: Girolamo Frescobaldi - Ricercar dopo il Credo

16: Jacob van Eyck - L'Amie Cillae

17: Jehan Titelouze - Conditor alme siderum

18: Jacob Praetorius - Galliard

19: Johann Hermann Schein - Allemande

20: Johann Kapsberger - Piccinini Chiaconna

21: Bellerofonte Castaldi - Mustazzin Corrente

22: Denis Gaultier - La Rethorique des Dieux

23: Adam Jarzebski - Canzon Terza

24: Johann Vierdanck - Capriccio I

25: Melchior Franck - Galliarda

26: Nicolas Hotman - Bouree

27: Samuel Scheidt - Benedicamus Domino

28: Ennemond Gaultier - Chaconne

29: Nicolas Vallet - Deux Bourees

30: Samuel Scheidt - Surrexit Christus Hodie

31:Johann Vierdanck - Capriccio VIII

32: Ennemond Gaultier - L'Immortelle

33: Girolamo Frescobaldi - Toccata 3 Libro 1

34: Jacob van Eyck - Lavolette

35: Johann Hermann Schein - Padouane

36: Johann Kapsberger - Toccata Arpeggiata

37: Melchior Franck - Pavane

All of this music can be found on YouTube, and if you like any of it, I encourage you to look for it on Amazon (or wherever) and buy it. Musicians need to eat.

Because of the way this mod is constructed, it's a bit tricky to modify. So there probably won't be as many versions of this one as you might see with one of my other mods. But it can easily serve as the departure point for other music mods with different music selections, and I encourage anyone with sound editing software to play around with it.

THE NON-STEAM VERSION Installation Instructions:

Unzip to a safe place.

You'll end up with a folder named Matrix and a bunch of other folders inside of it.

Don't get confused, because a Matrix folder probably shows up in several different places inside your computer. In mine (and I'm using Windows 7 Professional) there's a Matrix folder directly under the C: drive, and another inside the Program Files (x86).

Copy the Matrix folder that you've just downloaded and paste it to wherever there's a Matrix folder with the Thirty Years War game inside of it.

Be careful to paste and overwrite into the directory with the correct Matrix folder, because you may have more than one.

THE STEAM VERSION:

Unzip to a safe place.

You'll end up with a folder named Steam and a bunch of other folders inside of it.

Copy the unzipped Steam folder to wherever you keep your normal Steam folder.

Be aware that the name of the Steam version of the game is Thirty Years' War, whereas the non-Steam version is called Thirty Years War (without an apostrophe after the s in Years). They aren't compatible.

Also remember that if you ever verify the integrity of your Steam files, the mod will be wiped because this isn't a Steam workshop mod. You should probably keep a copy of the mod handy in a safe place so you can reinstall it.

BOTH VERSIONS:

This mod is designed for manual installation. The folder structure of the mod mimics the folder structure of your Matrix or Steam folders, depending on whether you're using the Steam or non-steam version. Don't try to install the non-Steam version of the mod into a Steam version of Matrix, because it won't work (because of the apostrophe in the name mentioned in the preceding section).

This mod should be compatible with other sound mods, provided that you install it last.

This mod is even compatible with other music mods because it doesn't overwrite any of their sound files. What it does overwrite is the music.ini file, so if you had already installed Bruit Bleu's excellent mod and wanted to decide whether you preferred playing the game with the music that came with the game, his music mod, or my version of his music mod, all you would have to replace would be the music.ini files, rather than any part of the mod itself.

To recover a Steam version to its original state all you have to do is verify the integrity of the Steam cache (you'll need to poke around in properties from the Steam game menu).
Philippeatbay

RE: EIN FESTE BURG version 1.1

Post by Philippeatbay »

I recently realized that my own personal copy of this mod is slightly different from the one posted online, so I've adjusted the posted version of the mod to reflect what's actually on my computer.

The music in version 1.1 is the same as in version 1.0; only the splash screens have changed.

The links in the first post in this thread have been adjusted to take you to the correct version.
Philippeatbay

RE: EIN FESTE BURG version 1.2

Post by Philippeatbay »

The basic game has regional ammunition and supply markers in the lower left hand corner of the screen on either side of the image of the terrain under the mouse pointer. These are really artefacts from earlier Ageod games and serve no purpose in Thirty Years War other than increasing the general level of confusion. I understand that these will be removed (and the tooltip that goes along with them suppressed) in the next patch, but since it's faster and easier for me to update my mod, I decided to add this non-feature to my list of graphical improvements.

So the Ein Feste Burg mod has now been updated to version 1.2. The links in the first post of this thread will take you to the latest versions of the mod.

You'll see a different image (Gustavus Adolphus on horseback) when you first fire up the game, and the ammunition and supply markers have been replaced with van Ruisdael landscapes.

My thanks to Leibstandarte for showing me how to supress the ammunition and supply tooltips.

Will_L

RE: EIN FESTE BURG version 1.2

Post by Will_L »

Going to download this when I get home from work tonight, looking forward to using it.
Thank you!
was Will_L for a while.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”