Unleashed Extended I & II

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Osito

RE: Unleashed Extended I & II

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Julzjuice

First off, amazing mod. It really adds a whole lot to the game. There's only one thing that I don't like... The new economy. I really hate the fact that at the start of a pre-warp game you are already swimming in cash, it removes a lot of the game difficulty and management to me.

Is there a way that I could modify the game files to adjust the economy back to vanilla? That's really the only part of the mod that I am not really found of. Also, there seem to be a bug with tax rates and happiness.

I tried starting a new game with the humans with the Corporate something government (don't remember the exact name and I am at work [:'(]) and at the game start (pre-warp and starting), my taxes are already set to 100% and happiness doesn't even seem to suffer at all from being taxed to 100%. All I got was -5 happiness because of high taxes... That made no sense to me so I went on to test something and lowered the taxes to 0% and STILL had -5 to happiness for taxes too high. Am I the only one with this bug?! Happened with the other races I tested it with. The mod was installed on a fresh DW:U install (updated to the latest patch) and nothing else but the UEII installed.

I really enjoy the mod... but this whole economy overhaul seems messed up and rushed to me. Any input on this would be really apreciated! Thank you for your hard work and amazing mod.

Edit: Forgot to add that colony growth did not seem to be affected by tax rate either in any of the tests I made (be it 100% tax rate or 0%).

You could take a look at the original version of the research extension part of this mod, 'Research Unleashed'. It only modifies the research tree and adds Das Chrome UI and Extended Races:

tm.asp?m=3807911

Osito
Julzjuice

Post by Julzjuice »

Guys, I have a small problem with the mod: my planet images are cut on the sides. I dont really know how to explain this, but it's like if the image was too big for the game and so it was cut a little on each sides. It doesnt apply to all planets though, only big planets with rings...

Does anyone ran into this problem before? Is there a way to fix that? I did not change anything to the mod, the only thing I changed, are the ship sprites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Is there a way that I could modify the game files to adjust the economy back to vanilla

UEI has normal income modifiers. UEII and RetreatUE do not. Edit the governments text file in the mod folder, and adjust to your liking. I personally enjoy the monetary increase. Helps more than it hurts, especially for the AI.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

ORIGINAL: Julzjuice

Guys, I have a small problem with the mod: my planet images are cut on the sides. I dont really know how to explain this, but it's like if the image was too big for the game and so it was cut a little on each sides. It doesnt apply to all planets though, only big planets with rings...

Does anyone ran into this problem before? Is there a way to fix that? I did not change anything to the mod, the only thing I changed, are the ship sprites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

You explained it perfectly. It seems a randomly generated large (size) gas giant with rings exceeds the footprint allowed for said planet. As for a fix, maybe resizing all gas planets in an editor would work. I'm not up for the challenge (lazy), but if anyone is, feel free.
Morkon

Post by Morkon »

I'm not sure if this bug was already reported.

I found the following bug:
The race specific hangar of the Calephs don't count as a hangar when creating a carrier ship. As a workaround I have to add normal hangars to fulfill the 20% hangar component criteria.
LordMM

Post by LordMM »

Missiles seems to be OP due to the Range, i cant seem to win any engagement if i don't use missiles
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

The race specific hangar of the Calephs don't count as a hangar when creating a carrier ship.

Works in RetreatUE. I know I made changes to the hanger bay (don't remember what), but UEI and II are Mordachai's mods and are unchanged.
Missiles seems to be OP due to the Range, i cant seem to win any engagement if i don't use missiles

Missiles aren't that great (5 damage at lvl 1) until you get to Caslon missiles or assault missiles. The range is a pain, but with some micromanaging it should be easy to overcome. If their ships are faster than yours too, well you might be dead. Bring in 2+ fleets and box them in. Overkill is never a bad thing. I'm sure you'll think of something.

Side note: I can't speak for Mordachai, but I haven't been playing the game, and I just come around to lurk. These mods should be considered final, but feel free to change them how you want.
VukyTzar

Post by VukyTzar »

Hi all, Im a new DW player and I wanted to try out this mod... I copied it into customizaton folder and then went to activate it in themes menu. While it was activating it said error reading 33 line biases txt. And after that game folder path.[:(] i had no issues playing vanila or using other mods as das123's reskins.

Thanks for your time retreat mod seems awsome [&o][&o][&o]
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

The only thing I can think of is a bad install. You are the first to have this problem, I think.
VukyTzar

Post by VukyTzar »

Maybe I shouldnt install it on D disc but in default folder, ill try reinstall it tommorow[8|]
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I have my Steam apps on my D drive as well but had no issues with running the mod. Awesome mod btw - I love all the little additions it brings such as sorting the components. :)
Hermundure

Post by Hermundure »

Retreat, did you do your nice modifications for this mod only for version 2 of it?
Is there any way to fuse your aditions with version 1 also?
VukyTzar

Post by VukyTzar »

Well now I get similar error but it says program cant read more than 170 line in some txt. File.
I guess I give up, i did a clean install od dw universe and did update 1.9.5... Well base game is still awsome
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

ORIGINAL: Hermundure

Retreat, did you do your nice modifications for this mod only for version 2 of it?
Is there any way to fuse your aditions with version 1 also?

The only major difference is the money. You can change this in the governments.txt file and set it back to normal.
Niels

Post by Niels »

Retreat: You seem to have given this mod a lot of thought! [:)] Recently, I wanted to try this mod having changed most values in goverments.txt back to vanilla, because I didn't like the idea of having vastly higher income (I only really liked the change of the leader replacements chances here; although I could see a small reduction in maintenance being needed for this mod). However, policies are such that the AI will build planetary facilities at a lower population in this mod. Therefore, I wondered if simply changing income in governemnts.txt wouldn't (nearly) bankrupt the AI?! I haven't actually tried, so maybe is this a non-issue (sorry then), or only apparent at certain (lower) difficulty levels?! Thanks!

Btw: it seems that something is wrong with the population growth values in governments.txt given they are so very different from vanilla (your version of the mod).
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Playing with the higher income levels is a good thing. It helps the player more than the AI, but it doesn't bottleneck AI spending. Since the AI doesn't spend like you do, they need all the help they can get (for example the AI doesn't speed up research).

I would play a game with extra cash and see how it goes. It should be a challenge, and a challenge is what we want, right?
Niels

Post by Niels »

Yes, I should do that... The more challenging the better indeed. [8D] However, I wonder at which difficulty setting this mod was mostly tested. My first guess would have been that at normal difficulty setting more money helps the AI more, but at very hard/extreme I would not have guessed so: it seems it essentially makes for a more normal setting for the player economy and a very extreme setting for the AI. Not a bad thing per se, but it sounds easier to me. But apparently I was wrong... [;)]
Twigster

Post by Twigster »

I would play a game with extra cash and see how it goes. It should be a challenge, and a challenge is what we want, right?

Yes, please! [:D]
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

The biggest reason for keeping the increased cash flow was the start of the game. I had adjusted the templates and settings so the AI could start off building an LSP. An LSP with 12 research modules of each type. This was critical. Otherwise the AI would build a MSP or SSP, and would be behind on research from day one.

My suggestion would be to play at least hard.
Twigster

Post by Twigster »

I only play Extreme/Chaos anymore. That said, I started a game (as XHumans) in RetreatUE Mod which quite early led to the most embarrassing defeat I have suffered in DW:U in a very long time. [:@]

LOL! So, I have started a new one with Zenox, see how that goes.

Return to “Design and Modding”