Oil and fuel

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

gmtello

Oil and fuel

Post by gmtello »

Playing a campaign I have conquered the whole south but baku which is isolated but from the port in the north which has the railline cut so it can Not rail or transport fuel or oil from baku Just to that port which is again isolated from any city .The russian army 6.2 million men are working all its way as there were no fuel lacks. So what are the benéfits of taking the oil fields and isolating baku and the whole south from the north?
Commanderski

RE: Oil and fuel

Post by Commanderski »

I think in the mechanics (coding) of this game it doesn't make much of a difference but it should. I'm hoping it will change in 2.0

Balou

Post by Balou »

1) As long as you don't have a railline that connects Baku to your supply grid, you don't benefit from it.
2) As long as it is not in axis hands, it will still feed the "abstracted" soviet oil and fuel pool.
3) Depending on when Baku is sacked, soviet oil/fuel reserves could be enormous. If you play against the AI, check soviet production (=pools) and information screens, from which you can deduce both their reserves and the amount of oil/fuel they need per week.
4) At least that's my understanding, but WitE production is sometimes a minefield.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

The opponent is human but i dont want to benéfit from his oil production. I want his army feel the lack of oil from baku
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

It is absurd that baku is isolated and the russian army in moscow benéfits from the baku oil or fuel
Balou

Post by Balou »

Baku has a port.
I remember a campaign with Leningrad isolated, however still feeding the soviet tank pool with whatever was left of the tank factories there. Yes, I think that WitE production needs some overhaul.
“Aim towards enemy“.
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

But the Town connected to that port has the rail cut
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

In other words they Could move the oil Just to that Town
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

And from that port move it by truck to chkalov more than 20 hex to find a rail line
Balou

Post by Balou »

Now I see your problem. But there should be ports off-map on the eastern shores of the Caspian Sea. However, not being a dev, I don't have a proper answer.
“Aim towards enemy“.
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

ORIGINAL: gmtello

Playing a campaign I have conquered the whole south but baku which is isolated but from the port in the north which has the railline cut so it can Not rail or transport fuel or oil from baku Just to that port which is again isolated from any city .The russian army 6.2 million men are working all its way as there were no fuel lacks. So what are the benéfits of taking the oil fields and isolating baku and the whole south from the north?

Baku was very important in 40/41. In early 42 they started moving out significant plant and skilled manpower to develop fields elsewhere and also started to rely on the sea route to Astrakhan when the Germans reached the Kaukasus, though this did result in a loss of transport capacity. By 44 Baku was fairly marginal, having been eclipsed by the new fields in the interior.

Can't remember what production % Baku represented in early 43, this would be have been the period with the biggest impact.
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

Thank u for the answer but i meant the impact in the game. If hitler would have achieved the situation of my army the victory would be At hand
rmonical

Post by rmonical »

As your esteemed Soviet opponent I will tell you that 60% of my existing fuel stocks are sitting in Baku waiting for you. I started fuel saving measures when I realized the area is not defensible for me. We will see if my infantry army will be able to take it back before I run out of fuel.
gmtello

Post by gmtello »

Thank u robert. Hope you the best for Your future games

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”