HOI 4 disappointing preview

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

RE: HOI 4 disappointing preview

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie
Alternate Wars

Ryan, your website is quite impressive, tons of great info! [:)] Thanks!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Many really enjoy the series but it isn't for me. CK2 and EUIV though I really enjoy.

I'm with you except replace EU:IV with EU:Rome
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Funny, I just installed (an uninstalled) EU:Rome. Most regard it as the worst EU title, but glad you found something to like about it, aaatoysandmore [:)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Yeah is great fun if you play a neutral faction and not Rome all the time. Playing Rome it felt like a rail game but when I started playing other factions it became more of a challenge. Especially the faction in Spain. I had so many revolts and coops it was funny.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Funny, I just installed (an uninstalled) EU:Rome. Most regard it as the worst EU title, but glad you found something to like about it, aaatoysandmore [:)]

That's how I've felt about all the EU's EXCEPT Rome. I just can't get into them and this last one IV I can't even see the words. They just kept making the font smaller and smaller until finally it's no longer playable for me.
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I just can't get into them and this last one IV I can't even see the words. They just kept making the font smaller and smaller until finally it's no longer playable for me.

Try this mod
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Jafele

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I just can't get into them and this last one IV I can't even see the words. They just kept making the font smaller and smaller until finally it's no longer playable for me.

Try this mod

I think steam is kinda tired of me asking for a refund on the game everytime someone came up with an idea or mod to improve the font. I've tried them all and they just aren't big enough.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Agree with you and Wodin. I like HOI 4. Bought it day 1. It has a few issues but what new release does not. I can understand some of the HOI hardcore gamers (you have to be hardcore or it would be near impossible to play) not liking HOI 4. Personally I just could never get into the earlier versions. HOI 4 is no beer and pretzel game, no where close but I believe it is more approachable for a larger base of gamers.

I found this play through very insightful and entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyCL1LIESR8
ORIGINAL: M J R

I agree with you there Wodin, CK2, EUIII, EUIV i can play, not expertly, but understand and enjoy them.
Hearts Of Iron II and III i have tried over the years but they give me a head ache.
The new version oh Hearts Of Iron looks like something i might be able to wrap my head around :)
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
wodin

Post by wodin »

When you choose a historical battle plan do you still have to give the units orders? Or do they then follow the battle plan?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

When you attack an enemy you can use battle plans to do so (draw a line where you wish them to advance and they will attempt to fight their way there). If you so choose you can also order individual divisions. You can also set a drop back line and your army will retreat to it and defend. View some of the excellent YouTube videos to get a feel for the game.

There is a settings where you can set nations to more or less stay closer to how things played out historically but that is not a guarantee that things will go completely historical.

When you choose a historical battle plan do you still have to give the units orders? Or do they then follow the battle plan?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: battlegroundvehicles
I have been playing Grigsby's games since Bomb Alley/War in the South Pacific from SSI.
Yes! (Real wargamers do not require eye candy!)

Attachments
bombaley.gif
bombaley.gif (4.09 KiB) Viewed 114 times
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

When you attack an enemy you can use battle plans to do so (draw a line where you wish them to advance and they will attempt to fight their way there). If you so choose you can also order individual divisions. You can also set a drop back line and your army will retreat to it and defend. View some of the excellent YouTube videos to get a feel for the game.

There is a settings where you can set nations to more or less stay closer to how things played out historically but that is not a guarantee that things will go completely historical.

Yeah it is not completely historical at all. If I was playing as Japan in 1936 scenario, they lefted out few ships, included the Ashigara heavy cruiser, some destroyers and submarines. The ground forces seem about right, but the Russia not suppose to have any tanks near the Manchuria's border til late 1940's. The Chinese forces are three times more than Japanese forces and dunno how you can pull this off as playing Japanese. The game is alright, not impress with it. Infact I like Hearts of Iron II "The Darkest Hours" much better.
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: E

ORIGINAL: battlegroundvehicles
I have been playing Grigsby's games since Bomb Alley/War in the South Pacific from SSI.
Yes! (Real wargamers do not require eye candy!)

At least in these old games you had a good overview of what´s going on. [:)]

Many newer games simply ignore the need for a strategic overview map. This is even true for the Steel Panthers series.

Max zoom out =NOT strategic overwiew. Corner minimap =NOT strategic overview. [:-]
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

Sometimes I'm not sure what it means to be a 'kiddy' game.

I play mostly WITE/WITW and the CC series and find them fun, realistic and challenging. OTOH, my youngest son, 14, can run circles around me in EU4 and make me look like a total newb. He can take some backwater province and conquer half of Europe while I'm still struggling to hold on to my starting territory.

I think sometimes it's more about the type of game and how your brain works. I feel that games like the WITX series allow you to see most of what matters at any given time. And you feel like you can make educated guesses about what will happen if you do 'X' because the combat and movement feels realistic and historic.

With Paradox games I always feel kind of lost and not sure what I should be focusing on. Too many moving parts for me I think.

But that's probably more of a statement about my own shortcomings as a gamer than it is about their games.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

No, it's a very good point, imo. I really don't "get" CK2 but love the interface design. Maybe that's half the challenge. HOI3 with Black Ice I "get" and is my favorite. HOI4 reminds me a lot of the Supreme Ruler series. I do not play it as a historical game; more as a WWII test tube of what if's...
wodin

Post by wodin »

You need ot look at CK2 as a story telling program where you have a bit part..I think many feel lost as there is no sepcific objective to the game and you feel like you must be doing something all the time. HOI though I don't get on with at all.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

You need ot look at CK2 as a story telling program where you have a bit part..I think many feel lost as there is no sepcific objective to the game and you feel like you must be doing something all the time. HOI though I don't get on with at all.

Agreed.[:)]
Karri

Post by Karri »

HoI 4 is the best grand strategy I've played in ages, and best one out of the series so far. It doesn't even suffer from the chronic problems that most Paradox releases do. That said it does need a lot of balancing and work on the AI still, so patching is required. Say what you want of Paradox and eye cnady but the interface they have designed and perfect over the years is light years ahead of the competition.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Karri

HoI 4 is the best grand strategy I've played in ages, and best one out of the series so far. It doesn't even suffer from the chronic problems that most Paradox releases do. That said it does need a lot of balancing and work on the AI still, so patching is required. Say what you want of Paradox and eye cnady but the interface they have designed and perfect over the years is light years ahead of the competition.

I wouldn't say the best grand strategy, but they did a great job on the artworks though.

Been modding this myself, trying to get it more accurate and setup right. They didn't put airfields on Guam, Wake or Midway Islands.

When war break out, if you where playing Japan, the Chineses would throw just about all their divisions at the front door. Not protection the ports or Victory Points.

My work is coming around good, but there so much to do if I have to do the whole world lol.
Karri

Post by Karri »

Well, the modding community is gonna pick it up in no time, which I hope will improve things. The air war needs a lot of work still as well, and the AI doesn't really seem to be building much of anything(my medium tanks can roam free as they please). I would really love WitE2 to pick up the production system, a very well balanced abstraction.

Return to “General Discussion”