Training

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jorge_Stanbury

RE: Training

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
If you want to hoard good pilots, just put them into general reserve. No reason to send them to TC.

But why keep them in general reserve doing nothing, when they can help accelerate in TRACOM?

Moreover, I like to use general reserve as the placeholder for good, but not great pilots, then when a squadron needs replacements, I simply "request veteran", check pilot type, then sort by skill or experience and fill it up. This way I can control that no "superman" crack pilot ends in an irrelevant squadron [;)]
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

It's a fair point re bomber pilots - they are worth putting to one side and not using for a land bombing campaign - particularly the torpedo trained IJN Nell/Betty pilots. Though as the Japanese there are fewer 80+ xp at start compared to fighter pilots and far fewer will train to that level during the game.

It is worth noting that the higher the xp of a pilot, the less likely they will suffer an operational loss and the more likely they are to survive it. More positive feedback.

As you say, we are probably going to have to agree to disagree.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Why would anyone want to be a Yakface when they could have a face like mine? [&:] Well, each to his own yurt.

Anyway, the problem with the Brit TRACOM is you run out of recruits pretty fast if you're not careful, so what's the point of accelerating them if you don't have any to accelerate?

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here is a yak race

Attachments
Yakrace.jpg
Yakrace.jpg (225.11 KiB) Viewed 175 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here is yak polo

In case you didn't know, polo is named after Marco Polo who discovered it in this form. They no longer use the heads of their enemies for balls.
Attachments
Yak_polo.jpg
Yak_polo.jpg (313.63 KiB) Viewed 175 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here's the cutest little yak face I could find, if you would like to have an avatar.

Attachments
yakfaceavatar.jpg
yakfaceavatar.jpg (58.88 KiB) Viewed 175 times

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Here is yak polo

In case you didn't know, polo is named after Marco Polo who discovered it in this form. They no longer use the heads of their enemies for balls.
[:D] Is the homemade ball square too?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Here's the cutest little yak face I could find, if you would like to have an avatar.

That slogan should be modded to say "Got pink milk?"
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Done

Attachments
yakfaceavatar.jpg
yakfaceavatar.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 175 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

TMI from the Wiki [X(]

Yak butter is used in traditional tanning of hides. Old, rancid butter is preferred over fresh.[6]

Other non-food uses include fueling yak-butter lamps,[7] moisturizing skin,[2] and the traditional butter sculptures for Tibetan New Year.[8] Such yak-butter sculptures may reach nearly 10 meters in height.[9]

Attachments
homer_droo..d7hw92v.jpg
homer_droo..d7hw92v.jpg (55.86 KiB) Viewed 175 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Wait! I should be posting this in the "Most Misused and Waste of Resources ..." thread.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

OK, I'm going to add one more thing on why at least Japan should build up a reserve of pilots. The tempo of operations will accelerate as the Allies grow stronger and Japan will need a pool of fully trained pilots to draw from if she intends to try and stay competitive. In my longest game (Dec'42) I had about 1k pilots squirreled away in reserve and TRACOM. Don't know if that's sufficient but it was the best I could do. I also figured I had some more time at least before things got hot and heavy.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

OK, I'm going to add one more thing on why at least Japan should build up a reserve of pilots. The tempo of operations will accelerate as the Allies grow stronger and Japan will need a pool of fully trained pilots to draw from if she intends to try and stay competitive. In my longest game (Dec'42) I had about 1k pilots squirreled away in reserve and TRACOM. Don't know if that's sufficient but it was the best I could do. I also figured I had some more time at least before things got hot and heavy.

Absolutely agree that Japan needs to build a reserve of 70+ xp/skill pilots for late war use. My opinion is that by using your best pilots early you will suppress Allied xo (by shooting more of them down) and suffer fewer losses (resulting in a larger reserve) than by having your best in the Tracom and using less well qualified pilots in combat operations early on.
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

Thanks for the Avatar
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
If you want to hoard good pilots, just put them into general reserve. No reason to send them to TC.

But why keep them in general reserve doing nothing, when they can help accelerate in TRACOM?

Moreover, I like to use general reserve as the placeholder for good, but not great pilots, then when a squadron needs replacements, I simply "request veteran", check pilot type, then sort by skill or experience and fill it up. This way I can control that no "superman" crack pilot ends in an irrelevant squadron [;)]
Accelerate 35 EXP pilots? Maybe I play a different game, but I am simply swimming in pilots by mid-42 and that's with a tempo that very, very few PBEM's even approximate. For example, in the first 30 days of the war, total losses are +3000 planes, and of course ~2000 pilots.
Even supporting my end of those losses, I still have plenty of pilots. Granted not experienced ones yet as the training program hasn't begun to catch up, but in terms of raw numbers, plenty.

And I did say "if you want to save" ... I don't. Use'em or lose'em is my motto. [:D]

PS: plus the fact that if I don't use them I'd have to fly 40exp/60skill pilots right now because that's where my training program is. I need another 20 -30 days before I can really start harvesting.
Also of course, still flying far too many pre-war airframes which results in higher than desired losses. Production expansion just kicking in so I will be able to start converting (slowly) air groups to modern equipment (Zero/Sally vs Claude/Ida).
this is all standard stuff for early war IJ ...
Pax
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I am playing DBB-C scen1 equivalent

I don't think I am swimming in pilots..

Attachments
20160615..11.25.9.jpg
20160615..11.25.9.jpg (15.14 KiB) Viewed 175 times
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Thanks for the Avatar

I finally sold my first avatar! Wait til the IRS hears about this.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Attachments
homer_droo..kbutter.jpg
homer_droo..kbutter.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Barb

Post by Barb »

Scen 1 and Scen 2 (plus equal mods) are the primary difference here. At Scen 1 (and mods) you wont have enough, at Scen 2 (and mods), you may have too much (with regards associated to HI cost)...

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”