The Elephant Vanishes : obvert (J) vs Historiker_SqzMyLemon_Canoerebel (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

obvert

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs SqzMyLemon (A)

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Are you going to bomb Perth first, is that why you haven't just taken it already when it only has the defense fortress present?

I have tanks on the way and thought that a DA could potentially yield more fuel/supply than a shock attack. I also don't know what forts it has and don't know offhand how many infantry are in the Freemantle Fortress.

I am going to bomb the HI but just got the bombers based to Geraldton and was going to concentrate on Kalgoorlie first, since it looks like he's scarpered with what is there now. So if I bomb that, then para-drop it, then bomb and take Perth, all is good, and the LI can still produce with available resources. Or maybe the permanent VPs are better than the supply? Hmmm.

Then it's load up and ship out other than some small units to kill off some base forces, hold the ports, provide AS for search and hold the rail junction at Kalgoorlie.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]11-12 December, 1943[/font]
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SUBS: [/font] The I-176 launches 6 fish(!!) at AM Wallaroo just South of Sydney. [8|]

Even more annoyingly Plunger takes out its second DMS victim in a week! [:@]

The sub war is heating up and is turning to the Allies.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]West OZ: [/font] Nells hit Freemantle Fortress at Perth, destroying 1 and disabling 9 squads. The three RAN base forces at Cunerdin where two of my para-units are attacking are showing movement East. Tanks are now 4 hexes away, but must cross one non-road hex too.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CHINA: [/font] IJA forces take Kiuchuan. They're split now, with some continuing to pursue west and the two good tank regiments moving to Sining to take part there.
[font="Trebuchet MS"]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 11, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Kiuchuan (82,26)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3788 troops, 20 guns, 239 vehicles, Assault Value = 94

Defending force 6984 troops, 33 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 46

Japanese adjusted assault: 81

Allied adjusted defense: 24

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Kiuchuan !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
4357 casualties reported
Squads: 117 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 103 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 7 (7 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Units destroyed 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
5th Armored Car Co
4th Cavalry Brigade
15th Tank Regiment
23rd Tank Regiment

Defending units:
11th Chinese Corps
17th Group Army
34th Separate Brigade

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 12, 42

Sub attack near Perth at 37,144

Japanese Ships
DMS W-21, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
AV Keisho Maru
E Ukishima
E Asagao

Allied Ships
SS Plunger, hits 1

SS Plunger launches 4 torpedoes at DMS W-21
E Ukishima fails to find sub and abandons search
E Asagao fails to find sub, continues to search...
E Asagao attacking submerged sub ....

Ground combat at Cunderdin (51,147)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 516 troops, 3 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 58

Defending force 6140 troops, 50 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 27

Japanese adjusted assault: 9

Allied adjusted defense: 67

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 7 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
168 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 16 disabled

Allied ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 3rd SNLF
4th Raiding Rgt /1

Defending units:
4th RAN Base Force
3rd RAN Base Force
2nd RAAF Base Force

Ground combat at Esperance (56,153)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 47 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 4

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 5

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Esperance !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Assaulting units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /3

[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"]Perth has a lot of LI/Resources VPs for the taking. Should I bomb now, or et them produce supply?[/font]

Attachments
westOz_dec12.jpg
westOz_dec12.jpg (728.09 KiB) Viewed 101 times
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Well.... what's worth more to you? Up to 500 VPs (probably 200-300 attained without much difficulty) or 200 supply per day if you capture it intact and feed it 100 extra resources per day (unlikely if you keep bombing Kalgoorlie, etc.)?

I'd go with the VPs, but that's me.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Well.... what's worth more to you? Up to 500 VPs (probably 200-300 attained without much difficulty) or 200 supply per day if you capture it intact and feed it 100 extra resources per day (unlikely if you keep bombing Kalgoorlie, etc.)?

The allure of supply production is so strong it takes some time to realize that yes, the VPs in this big a bunch are much more attractive. Like sinking 3-4 CVEs. Or knocking down 250 4Es. It's a no brainer.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Ten new brigades just arrived in China. Right now they're at about 75-78% TOE and will fill out to 160AV. Some of them are the basis of a later division, although a small one. Still, these will begin to form my inner defenses through the Ryukyus, the islands around Formosa and on the inner Kuriles. So much I want to buy out, but I can't pass these up at 350PP per brigade. I've just bought out the first two with my PP stores, and will get another every 7-8 days.

After that I've got one more garrison force to buy out at about 550 PP, some arty that completes a brigade for Chang Mai, and then I can start on divisions. I've kept all that arrive with partial TOE from adding replacements, and they range from 900-1200 PPs now.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: obvert

The allure of supply production is so strong it takes some time to realize that yes, the VPs in this big a bunch are much more attractive. Like sinking 3-4 CVEs. Or knocking down 250 4Es. It's a no brainer.

A goal of capturing supply production this far afield, except insofar as it can feed your planned garrison/defense (if any), is foolish in my opinion - and I think you agree. You're right to go after any supply stockpiles. That's useful. But 200 supply per day at a place you won't have for more than a few months is not.
Drakanel

Post by Drakanel »

Really interesting operation here. I can't imagine you'll be able to hold Perth for long, not if he comes to fight seriously. But you can gain a decent amount of VPs. And maybe some supply, fuel and oil. Plus, it's a thorn for the allies and gives your opponent something to think about rather than going on the offensive.

Just asking but... do you have any plan to MAYBE conquer other small parts of Australia if the allies do not reinforce? I know it's not part of the main plan up to now, but would you at least consider it, or not?
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Drakanel

Really interesting operation here. I can't imagine you'll be able to hold Perth for long, not if he comes to fight seriously. But you can gain a decent amount of VPs. And maybe some supply, fuel and oil. Plus, it's a thorn for the allies and gives your opponent something to think about rather than going on the offensive.

Just asking but... do you have any plan to MAYBE conquer other small parts of Australia if the allies do not reinforce? I know it's not part of the main plan up to now, but would you at least consider it, or not?

The plan to take the area around Perth was initiated due to very light garrison of the area and some knowledge that the USN CVs were at Pearl after the Marcus operation. I initiated the plan by first trying to bomb unCAPed resource centers like Cloncurry and Kalgoorlie. The idea has never been to hold, but to maybe influence decisions just after Sqz has taken over the game, begun to plan, potentially altered prep.

I hope this threw a very small wrench at least into any idea of using West Oz as a springboard to invade the DEI. Japan can never hope to hold all areas of the perimeter equally, so if I can influence direction to something I can more easily defend it would be a good outcome.

So after knocking out the rest of the strat VPs, wiping the base forces in the area, of which there are five large and one small one, and aiming to gather anything of use, we'll back out graciously leaving a few lightly held scouting bases. Search from down here will complement the Cocos Island and other patrols in the IO.

I doubt I'll attempt more drops further inland. Alice Springs was also lightly held. I'm sure he's addressed that now, but I'll check in a few moves once I would be ready to send something there. Oondatta would actually be in bombing range of some major resource spots but it's unlikely he would let the IJ forces use it after taking the base. I have one other slightly foolhardy idea, but I probably won't go for it. [:)]
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]14-15 December, 1943[/font]
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]West Oz: [/font] The RAN base forces left Cunerdin and our tanks will move in on the 16th after paras capture the base. The tanks will continue to pursue the Allied units. Bombers hit an empty Kalgoorlie, taking out the resources there, and should finish those off in a few days assuming good weather, after which paras can take the base trapping the base forces for a few extra LCU VPs. Then bombing of Perth industry will commence.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font]The Allies launch an operation to begin retaking Burma. Forces move into Mandalay, drop on Shwebo and Meiktila, and a huge flotilla of 4E aims for Taung Gyi. The bombers arrived before the sweeps though, and our experienced George groups took big chunks out of the formations. Massive cooperating sweeps arrived later in the day but our forces hardly interacted with them since most were damaged at that point.

Joseph was not happy with this result, and I feel for him, but it happens to us all. If we want to surprise we have to take into account that not everything will come together all at once. He did send the turn back the same day, so it seems he's come to terms with it.

Now I've got some decisions to make. I've begun to send some forces back from Taung Gyi around on the gray road to Toungoo. I may bomb some of his paras since he'll have no AA there yet. Also, the fields in that area are all heavily damaged. I'll also begin getting a backup force ready to move into holes around inner Burma should this turn into a blitz attack with heavy armor. There is around 1,300 AV of armor in Mandalay, but he won't likely shoot them all forward without AA cover, so I think I'll have a few more days to react.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] Massive 4E raids and sweeps also hit Umboi Island of all places. It is a strategic spot, but I had only two fighter groups there, and they were overwhelmed. Spit VIII mostly swept them away before the bombers arrived.

The Allies won this battle, but those planes were just protecting the supply runs in the area. Luckily one ship still docked there can now remove the damaged Tojos and bring them back to Rabaul.
[font="Trebuchet MS"]
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 15, 42

Morning Air attack on Umboi Island , at 100,125

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 18
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 36

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 6 destroyed

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
254 Ku S-1 with A6M5b Zero (2 airborne, 5 on standby, 11 scrambling)
7 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 6000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 6 minutes
78th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (4 airborne, 15 on standby, 14 scrambling)
29 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes

Morning Air attack on Taung Gyi , at 59,48

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 29 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 126
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 30

Allied aircraft
Liberator II x 26
B-17E Fortress x 28
B-24D1 Liberator x 38
B-24J Liberator x 44
P-40N5 Warhawk x 46

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator II: 2 destroyed, 14 damaged
Liberator II: 1 destroyed by flak
B-17E Fortress: 6 destroyed, 13 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 3 destroyed, 9 damaged
B-24J Liberator: 5 destroyed, 12 damaged
P-40N5 Warhawk: 7 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
9 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 23

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x Liberator II bombing from 15000 feet
Airfield Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
253 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 17 on standby, 13 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes
23 planes vectored on to bombers
202 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 22 on standby, 16 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 28 minutes
30 planes vectored on to bombers
Zuikaku-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 22 on standby, 16 scrambling)
7 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 21000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 37 minutes
15 planes vectored on to bombers
47th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 19 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes
26 planes vectored on to bombers

Morning Air attack on Umboi Island , at 100,125

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5b Zero x 2
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 9

Allied aircraft
Kittyhawk III x 15
B-24D Liberator x 25
B-24D1 Liberator x 45

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
A6M5b Zero: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
Kittyhawk III: 3 destroyed
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged
B-24D1 Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 34

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 12000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on Taung Gyi , at 59,48

Raid detected at 76 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 20
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 8

Allied aircraft
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 107
F4U-1A Corsair x 17

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 4 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x F4U-1A Corsair sweeping at 31000 feet
22 x P-47D2 Thunderbolt sweeping at 31000 feet
15 x P-47D2 Thunderbolt sweeping at 31000 feet
23 x P-47D2 Thunderbolt sweeping at 31000 feet
21 x P-47D2 Thunderbolt sweeping at 31000 feet
23 x P-47D2 Thunderbolt sweeping at 31000 feet

Ground combat at Meiktila (58,47)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 846 troops, 8 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 63

Allied adjusted assault: 57

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 57 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied forces CAPTURE Meiktila !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)

Assaulting units:
77th Chindit Bde /1

Ground combat at Shwebo (59,45)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 170 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 15

Allied adjusted assault: 15

Allied assault odds: 15 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Shwebo !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)

Assaulting units:
1st USMC Parachute Bn /1

Ground combat at Mandalay (59,46)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 867 troops, 25 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1323

Allied adjusted assault: 38

Allied assault odds: 38 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Mandalay !!!

Combat modifiers

Assaulting units:
50th Tank Brigade
2nd USMC Tank Battalion
16th Light Cavalry Regiment
268th Motorised Brigade
3rd Cavalry Regiment
1st USMC Tank Battalion
193rd Tank Battalion
255th Armoured Brigade
8th KGV Light Cav Regiment
627th Tank Destroyer Battalion
254th Armoured Brigade
632nd Tank Destroyer Battalion
150th RAC Regiment
754th Tank Battalion
111th Chindit Bde /1

[/font]

[font="Trebuchet MS"]Here are the losses on the day. Ouch!! [/font]

Attachments
dec15.jpg
dec15.jpg (668.58 KiB) Viewed 101 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]BURMA[/font]
Here is the situation in Burma. The Allies have about 250-300k troops near Mandalay. They're coming. The question is where?

Attachments
burma_dec_15_43.jpg
burma_dec_15_43.jpg (580.03 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I think any day this late when you lose less planes than the Allies is a good day...plus you downed a fair number of 4e beasties, so well done.[:)]
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I think any day this late when you lose less planes than the Allies is a good day...plus you downed a fair number of 4e beasties, so well done.[:)]

It certainly feels good to get a god hit, but Sqz is not so pleased with the sequence of events. I wouldn't be either, but I have learned surprise can backfire. I've had it happen just a few turns ago. If you want to catch your opponent out it takes special circumstances and lots of build-up to deceive, not just an all out blitz from square one. It can work against the unprepared, but this is what the N1K1 are there for; to kill bombers.

Just about to run the next. Does he let the sweeps keep rolling, or pull it all back? That's the question.
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]16-17 December, 1943[/font]
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]West Oz: [/font] Netties crushed the resources at Kalgoorlie. Tanks are closing in on the RAN base forces.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] The Allies sweep Taung Gyi again on the 16th but no bombers arrive. They got a decent 2-1 or so, but the low CAP held it's own in spite of low numbers. Pilot losses are very low over our base.

The main Allied force walks into Mandalay and immediately points itself South toward Meiktila. I've made some choices. This is at least 4k AV and heavy on tanks, with good units most likely including one Marine division. I'm pulling away the bock North of Taung gyi, sending one division back to the yellow road to Chang Mai to sit at the river crossing. Two more divisions will swing arounf to the Toungoo area. I've also decided to move the IJA units out of the blocking position on the Arakan. It'd bee far to easy to get them trapped there, and the hex between Prome and Toungoo is very vulnerable. I have to consider if I want to defend it or pull back to one hex outside Rangoon. Tough choices right now but not enough troops to cover it all.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] Some sweeps to Madang, but no bombing.
[font="Trebuchet MS"]
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 16, 42

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 20 NM, estimated altitude 32,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 11
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 11
Ki-84a Frank x 24

Allied aircraft
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed
Ki-84a Frank: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 4 destroyed

CAP engaged:
253 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 7000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 9 minutes
202 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 2 on standby, 1 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 34000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes
Zuikaku-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 2 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 23000 and 35000.
47th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 7 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 29000.
203rd Sentai with Ki-84a Frank (0 airborne, 13 on standby, 7 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 34440.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes

Raid detected at 20 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 6
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 6
Ki-84a Frank x 15

Allied aircraft
P-47D2 Thunderbolt x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed
Ki-84a Frank: 6 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-47D2 Thunderbolt: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x P-47D2 Thunderbolt sweeping at 31000 feet

Morning Air attack on Kalgoorlie , at 56,147

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M3a Zero x 21
G3M3 Nell x 7
G4M1 Betty x 31
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 26

No Japanese losses

Resources hits 68

Aircraft Attacking:
31 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 5000 feet
City Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
3 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 5000 feet
4 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 5000 feet

Morning Air attack on Kalgoorlie , at 56,147

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 42

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 1 damaged

Resources hits 52

Aircraft Attacking:
33 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 5000 feet
9 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 5000 feet

[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"]Not terrible.[/font]

Attachments
info_dec17.jpg
info_dec17.jpg (307.54 KiB) Viewed 101 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]18-20 December, 1943[/font]
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]West Oz: [/font] The 4th Raiding Regiment takes an empty Kalgoorlie. So we're not going to bag too many troops over here which is too bad. Looks like only a few forts and about 6 base forces.

The strat bombing of Perth starts out with a bang. Nice. Unfortunately after bombing out the small force at Corunna Downs it now seems I can't choose that as a strat bombing option. Is that WAD?

With all that's going on in other AARs right now I doubt I'll get many responses, so maybe I should just post in tech. Or invade the West Coast! [;)]

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] No quick movement in Burma so far. No more bombing runs after the last either.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] The Allies look ready to take Rekata Bay. Once they have more bases close to Rabaul I'll see if I can start sweeping the edges.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 19, 42

Morning Air attack on Perth , at 49,147

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 20

No Japanese losses

Heavy Industry hits 23

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x G3M3 Nell bombing from 10000 feet

Afternoon Air attack on Perth , at 49,147

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 27
G4M1 Betty x 54
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 25

Japanese aircraft losses

Light Industry hits 5
Resources hits 5

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 19, 42

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 73
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 26

Japanese aircraft losses

Light Industry hits 2
Resources hits 12

[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"]I'm staying above these bad boys at Perth at 10k. I want hits but as few losses as possible, of course. I'll target each industry individually rather than hitting manpower as I don't want to burn up any fuel or supply. I should stand to gain about 1-1.5k VPs from the Australian adventure, and if I can get enough fuel and supply to pay for it, that would be nice icing on the cake. [/font]

Attachments
40MMBOFOR..260.0216.jpg
40MMBOFOR..260.0216.jpg (176.82 KiB) Viewed 101 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I don't think fires burn up fuel/supply? Just industry. But Perth's Manpower is only middling so targeting industry specifically is probably better.

Kalgoorlie is tough to decide on. You were able to get it cheaply, but I wonder if maybe you couldn't have just bombed it for points? Lots of juicy Resources there.

Odd about Corunna Downs. You shouldn't have to have enemies present at a "city" in order to target it.
obvert

Post by obvert »

I don't think fires burn up fuel/supply? Just industry. But Perth's Manpower is only middling so targeting industry specifically is probably better.

Kalgoorlie is tough to decide on. You were able to get it cheaply, but I wonder if maybe you couldn't have just bombed it for points? Lots of juicy Resources there.

Odd about Corunna Downs. You shouldn't have to have enemies present at a "city" in order to target it.

I bombed Kalgoorlie down to eight points and had more planes targeting to finish it off just before the drop but they didn't fly that day. So I got +90% of the points there still.

Corunna Downs is a dot, so I wonder if there is something about size/lack of base that dictates targeting a strat run? I was able to target it when a unit was present though, so that seems involved somehow too, although the missions there never did hit any resource points.
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]21-24 December, 1943[/font]
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]West Oz: [/font] Strat bombing of Perth continues, and is somewhat inhibited by weather. No worries, there is time. [8D]

The Fremantle fortress shocks our division that moved trying to obliterate itself, but doesn't quite succeed. Our tanks catch up to the three RAN base forces and shock them nicely off of the Kalgoorlie road towards Albany. Other units begin packing up to ship out.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] No major movements in the center yet, and no reaction to my IJA unit leaving the Arakan. I hate to leave the Thais stranded, but it's worth it for insurance that these will not be surrounded and cut off.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SUBS: [/font] Looks like the Allied subs are back. Bonefish nails a tiny TK on the Truk-Rabaul route. The Allied subs are most likely all fresh and refitted, so I'll be curious where they end up going now. It's been a good respite to get fuel to some outlying destinations.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] There is continued interest at Rekata Bay but that's it.
[font="Trebuchet MS"]
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 21, 42

Sub attack near Emirau Island at 108,115

Japanese Ships
TK Kozui Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SC Ch 46
PB Rokko Maru

Allied Ships
SS Bonefish

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 9
G4M1 Betty x 75
Ki-43-IIb Oscar x 26

No Japanese losses

Light Industry hits 3
Resources hits 3

Raid spotted at 6 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 27

Japanese aircraft losses

Resources hits 13

Raid spotted at 5 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M3 Nell x 20

No Japanese losses

Heavy Industry hits 4

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 23, 42

Ground combat at 54,147 (near Kalgoorlie)

Attacking force 2640 troops, 0 guns, 246 vehicles, Assault Value = 138

Defending force 6114 troops, 49 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 24

Japanese adjusted assault: 91

Allied adjusted defense: 39

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender:
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 14 (4 destroyed, 10 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1454 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 105 destroyed, 34 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 21 (9 destroyed, 12 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Units retreated 3

Assaulting units:
9th Tank Regiment
8th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
4th RAN Base Force
3rd RAN Base Force
2nd RAAF Base Force
[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"][/font]
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]25-28 December, 1943[/font]
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]West Oz: [/font] The RAN base forces are nearly finished off as IJN bombers continue their futile attempts to reduce LI points at Perth. Very slow.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] The Allies begin reducing the Thai blockade on the Arakan. In hindsight I should have moved these out too, but I was pretty enamored of the level 6 forts here and just wanted to see what they could do. Hopefully they won't get completely gutted before retreating, and that they'll take some Allies with them. Already there are lots of disablements on the Allied side.

On the 28th the Allied sweeps rough up Taung Gyi based fighters, and get about 2.5-1. I'll move these out if I can for now, as there were no follow-up strikes.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CENT PAC: [/font] The Allies exploratorily bombard Tabiteuaea. Damage to the fields, but really, nothing is here to hit. Just one hunkered down naval guard unit waiting for glory.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] The Allies land at Rekata Bay and take it back easily. I flew out the small units there. Some sweeps managed to hit LR CAP on a dot hex and got positive results against even some Corsairs. Every little bit counts.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 25, 42

Morning Air attack on Russell Islands , at 113,136

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 40

Allied aircraft
P-39N1 Airacobra x 3
F4U-1 Corsair x 5
F4U-1A Corsair x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-39N1 Airacobra: 2 destroyed
F4U-1 Corsair: 1 destroyed
F4U-1A Corsair: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x A6M5 Zero sweeping at 31000 feet *

CAP engaged:
VMF-441 with F4U-1 Corsair (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(5 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 31000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 31000.
347th FG/339th FS with P-39N1 Airacobra (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(3 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 5000.
Raid is overhead
VMF-218 with F4U-1A Corsair (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
VMF-422 with F4U-1A Corsair (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
Raid is overhead

Ground combat at 55,48 (near Ramree Island)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 141359 troops, 1254 guns, 889 vehicles, Assault Value = 4715

Defending force 17891 troops, 122 guns, 6 vehicles, Assault Value = 759

Allied adjusted assault: 2849

Japanese adjusted defense: 1498

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1722 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 269 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 21 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 52 (16 destroyed, 36 disabled)
Vehicles lost 7 (1 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
5672 casualties reported
Squads: 35 destroyed, 655 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 65 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 28 disabled
Vehicles lost 17 (1 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Assaulting units:
5th Chinese Corps
Gardner's Horse Regiment
8th New Chinese Corps
3rd New Chinese Corps
26th Indian/A Division
Provisionl Tank Brigade
147th(Sep) Infantry Regiment
14th Indian Division
Guides Cavalry Regiment
26th Indian/B Division
1st USMC Corps Tank Battalion
11th (East African) Division
102nd Combat Engineer Regiment
6th Chinese Corps
26th Indian/C Division
56th Heavy AA Regiment
4th IAF Advanced Base Force
811th Engineer Aviation Battalion
369th Coast AA Regiment
21st Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
X' Force
6th Mixed A/T Mtr Regiment
6th RAF Advanced Base Force

Defending units:
2nd RTA Division
3rd RTA Division
6th RTA Division
11th Air Defense AA Battalion

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 26, 42

Ground combat at 54,148 (near Kalgoorlie)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2640 troops, 0 guns, 245 vehicles, Assault Value = 135

Defending force 4542 troops, 42 guns, 5 vehicles, Assault Value = 10

Japanese adjusted assault: 108

Allied adjusted defense: 18

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 16 (4 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2430 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 101 destroyed, 141 disabled
Engineers: 27 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 33 (17 destroyed, 16 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (3 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Units retreated 2

Assaulting units:
9th Tank Regiment
8th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
3rd RAN Base Force
4th RAN Base Force
2nd RAAF Base Force
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 27, 42

Night Naval bombardment of Tabiteuea at 137,134

Allied Ships
CA Australia
CL Achilles
CL Leander

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 30
Port hits 1

OS2U-3 Kingfisher acting as spotter for CA Australia
CA Australia firing at Tabiteuea
CL Achilles firing at Tabiteuea
CL Leander firing at 52nd Naval Guard Unit

Raid detected at 49 NM, estimated altitude 34,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 117
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 27

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 2 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Spitfire VIII sweeping at 31000 feet

CAP engaged:
253 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 12 on standby, 19 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 36000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 22 minutes
202 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 14 on standby, 21 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 37000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 34 minutes
Zuikaku-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 15 on standby, 24 scrambling)
5 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 32000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes
47th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 14 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters between 5000 and 35000.

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 36,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 103
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 11

Allied aircraft
Spitfire VIII x 13
P-51A Mustang x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Spitfire VIII: 2 destroyed

CAP engaged:
253 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (4 airborne, 4 on standby, 4 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
18 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 9000 and 34000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes
202 Ku S-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 8 on standby, 13 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 33000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes
Zuikaku-1 with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 8 scrambling)
26 plane(s) not yet engaged, 7 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 7000 , scrambling fighters between 8000 and 33000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 32 minutes
47th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
6 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 5000 , scrambling fighters to 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 28, 42

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 138064 troops, 1258 guns, 888 vehicles, Assault Value = 4281

Defending force 16460 troops, 111 guns, 5 vehicles, Assault Value = 525

Allied adjusted assault: 3067

Japanese adjusted defense: 1291

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2118 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 200 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 33 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 35 (2 destroyed, 33 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Units retreated 1

Allied ground losses:
5129 casualties reported
Squads: 39 destroyed, 502 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 71 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled
Vehicles lost 29 (2 destroyed, 27 disabled)

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
5th Chinese Corps
Guides Cavalry Regiment
8th New Chinese Corps
14th Indian Division
6th Chinese Corps
3rd New Chinese Corps
26th Indian/B Division
26th Indian/A Division
Provisionl Tank Brigade
Gardner's Horse Regiment
26th Indian/C Division
X' Force
56th Heavy AA Regiment
369th Coast AA Regiment

Defending units:
3rd RTA Division
2nd RTA Division
6th RTA Division
11th Air Defense AA Battalion
[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"]Things are getting tense in Burma![/font]

Attachments
burmadec_43.jpg
burmadec_43.jpg (486.94 KiB) Viewed 101 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]29-31 December, 1943[/font]
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]West Oz: [/font] Finally got decent hits (25 on the 29th, then only 4 on the 30th) against LI at Perth. I decided to take a last shot and set a DA for the 31st. The bombers got 19 more, bringing the LI to 44, which is fine. The base was taken and the LI here should feed the garrison just fine. Unfortunately only 4.5k of fuel is inherited here.

Tanks nearly eliminated the RAN base forces and will continue to Albany to take that base. Then everything but the barest of garrisons will be shipped out.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] The Thais still hold at 1:4 and cause some minor damage to the attacking forces. Now the tough one I'm sure, as these troops can't last much longer here.

The Allies mount a big bombing raid at ... Paoshan? Why there? It is tough to bring supply in and I am building the forts up, but there is no hint of troops coming this way. So I am confused by that move. Maybe just an annoyance, or a red cape flapping, seeing if the bull shows up?

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CHINA: [/font] Another setback 1:2 at Sining. Another brigade is a few days away, and hopefully that'll push us over the edge.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font]The Allies land at Munda unopposed.

[font="Trebuchet MS"]
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 29, 42

Ground combat at Sining (80,32)

Attacking force 23623 troops, 124 guns, 107 vehicles, Assault Value = 724

Defending force 20611 troops, 84 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 435

Japanese adjusted assault: 687

Allied adjusted defense: 721

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
747 casualties reported
Squads: 32 destroyed, 124 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 14 (1 destroyed, 13 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
442 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 82 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Guns lost 15 (4 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2nd Ind.Mixed Brigade
12th RGC Ind. Brigade
23rd Tank Regiment
65th Division
13th Indpt Infantry Regiment
Mongol Garrison Army

Defending units:
35th Chinese Cavalry Division
17th Chinese Corps
3rd Prov Chinese Corps
40th Group Army
8th War Area
5th Chinese Base Force
6th Chinese Base Force
8th Chinese Base Force

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 30, 42

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 134811 troops, 1258 guns, 885 vehicles, Assault Value = 3863

Defending force 15018 troops, 109 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 344

Allied adjusted assault: 2707

Japanese adjusted defense: 613

Allied assault odds: 4 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1215 casualties reported
Squads: 81 destroyed, 131 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 34 (3 destroyed, 31 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2903 casualties reported
Squads: 122 destroyed, 235 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 48 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 42 disabled
Guns lost 55 (2 destroyed, 53 disabled)

Assaulting units:
26th Indian/A Division
14th Indian Division
Guides Cavalry Regiment
5th Chinese Corps
6th Chinese Corps
8th New Chinese Corps
26th Indian/B Division
Provisionl Tank Brigade
Gardner's Horse Regiment
3rd New Chinese Corps
26th Indian/C Division
369th Coast AA Regiment
56th Heavy AA Regiment
X' Force

Defending units:
3rd RTA Division
2nd RTA Division
6th RTA Division

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 31, 42

Ground combat at Perth (49,147)

Attacking force 15369 troops, 124 guns, 69 vehicles, Assault Value = 481

Defending force 671 troops, 30 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 242

Allied adjusted defense: 4

Japanese assault odds: 60 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Perth !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), leaders(-)
Attacker: leaders(+), leaders(-)

Allied ground losses:
805 casualties reported
Non Combat: 81 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 26 (26 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
38th Division

Defending units:
Freemantle Fortress

[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"]Some Allied units arrived on the Magwe road toward Prome. Luckily the units I pulled off of the Arakan have already gotten in place there. I know 3k AV is in Taung Gyi, so this is most likely about the same. Lots of vehicles here. The Allies have about 10-11k AV in very good troops in Burma, including Marines and Aussies as well as the massive free Chinese Corps. [/font]

Attachments
burma_dec43.jpg
burma_dec43.jpg (606.91 KiB) Viewed 101 times
obvert

Post by obvert »

[font="Times New Roman"]1-3 January, 1944[/font]
IT'S A NEW YEAR!!! WELCOME 1944.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]West Oz: [/font] The RAN base forces finally surrender, with 300+ squads destroyed. Now on to Albany.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]BURMA: [/font] The Thais are forced to retreat with big losses. Not terrible if they aren't pursued, and there is no apparent follow-up by the Allies here. They'll head to rear areas and let the IJA take over frontline defenses. Still, the Allies lost ~220 destroyed and ~1900 disabled in this two week battle (to Japan's ~800 destroyed and ~900 disabled), so that could slow things down on this front for a bit. Interestingly units seem to be heading to Ramree. I'll have to watch this to make sure there is no effort to load them up and transit around to the Burmese coast from here. I'm assuming they're looking for a base to replenish forces in and rest up.

The forces at Taung Gyi bombard to see what the Allies have across the lines. Three are three Aussie divisions and four Indian. Not enough, but more may be on the way.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]SW PAC: [/font] Some surface delivery to very forward islands. Hmm. I will keep a lookout here.

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]CHINA: [/font]Finally looks like we're getting the upper hand at Sining. Won't be long now.
[font="Trebuchet MS"]
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 1, 42

Ground combat at Taung Gyi (59,48)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 4839 troops, 258 guns, 166 vehicles, Assault Value = 2982

Defending force 71380 troops, 658 guns, 434 vehicles, Assault Value = 1690

Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
632nd Tank Destroyer Battalion
7th Australian Division
627th Tank Destroyer Battalion
7th Indian Division
XV Corps Engineer Battalion
I Aus Corps Engineer Battalion
25th Indian Division
17th Indian Division
11th Indian Division
6th Australian Division
9th Australian Division
168th Field Artillery Regiment
181st Field Artillery Regiment
XV Indian Corps
2/9th Field Regiment
24th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
134th Field Artillery Battalion
25th Indian Mountain Gun Regiment
2/11th Field Regiment
97th Field Artillery Battalion
2/13th Field Regiment
22nd Indian Mountain Gun Regiment

Defending units:
48th Division
16th Division
2nd Guards Division
7th RTA Division
8th Area Army
6th RF Gun Battalion
23rd JAAF AF Bn
8th RF Gun Battalion
35th JAAF AF Bn
45th Ind.AA Gun Co
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
7th Air Defense AA Regiment
80th JAAF AF Bn
6th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
3rd RF Gun Battalion
16th AA Regiment
1st JNAF AF Unit
53rd Const Co
16th Army
57th Field AA Battalion
15th Air Defense AA Regiment
91st JAAF AF Bn

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR January 3, 42

Ground combat at Sining (80,32)

Attacking force 28687 troops, 158 guns, 106 vehicles, Assault Value = 791

Defending force 19957 troops, 81 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 370

Japanese adjusted assault: 1061

Allied adjusted defense: 460

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1733 casualties reported
Squads: 37 destroyed, 142 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 37 disabled
Guns lost 11 (4 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
530 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 87 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 38 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 18 (2 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Assaulting units:
12th RGC Ind. Brigade
19th Ind.Mixed Brigade
65th Division
2nd Ind.Mixed Brigade
23rd Tank Regiment
13th Indpt Infantry Regiment
Mongol Garrison Army

Defending units:
35th Chinese Cavalry Division
17th Chinese Corps
3rd Prov Chinese Corps
40th Group Army
5th Chinese Base Force
8th War Area
6th Chinese Base Force
8th Chinese Base Force

[/font]
[font="Trebuchet MS"]A new plane begins production with the new year. This one can make a difference with the service 2 allowing much more flexibility in the South Pacific and Burma especially. [/font]

Attachments
J2M3.jpg
J2M3.jpg (185.12 KiB) Viewed 101 times

Return to “After Action Reports”