Patch problems

Victory and Glory: Napoleon is a game of grand strategy and fast-play tactical battles where you take the role of Napoleon Bonaparte and attempt to dominate the entire continent of Europe.
vaalen

Patch problems

Post by vaalen »

There are a few issues with the new patch.

First, the period of peace imposed on a defeated nation remains at six turns, not the nine the patch was supposed to change it to.

In my game, I defeated Austria after holding Vienna for three turns. The Prussians attacked as soon as Britain invited them, on the third turn.

One year later, six turns, Austria declares was on me after the British invite them to do so.

In other words, I spent half of one game year, three turns, defeating Austrian and Russian armies trying to retake Vienna. And I spent half of the next game year, three turns, defeating Prussian and Russian armies trying to retake Berlin. This does not feel very historical, more like whack a mole.

The amount of time you have to hold the capital to conquer a nation seems to be three turns. This happened after I took Vienna, and after I took Berlin. Not sure if this is WAD.

It used to be that nations invited to fight France by Britain would often refuse to do so, taking several turns, an amount that varies, to decide to go to war. Now, both Prussia and Austria declared war on the first turn them were invited.

Finally, while my main forces are in Austria, then Prussia, with a strong garrison in Paris, the British land a large army in Holland which goes after undefended port areas, forcing the fleet to take to sea, where the Royal Navy inevitably sinks and or captures every ship, whether they choose to retreat or fight. but it was this way in the first version.

Still, an enjoyable game. I really like the system, but I do see the issues I raised.
mercenarius

RE: Patch problems

Post by mercenarius »

The 9 turns of peace is at the "Corporal" level only.
In my game, I defeated Austria after holding Vienna for three turns. The Prussians attacked as soon as Britain invited them, on the third turn.

I am not sure that I understand this problem. Prussia's diplomatic level was low enough that Britain could use the Offer of Alliance on the same turn that Austria surrendered. Is that correct? There is no inherent relationship between war with one major power and peace with another.

Did you try using your political points to raise Prussia's diplomatic value? You should get 4 political points for defeating a major power, Austria in this case.

The period to hold a capital and force a surrender varies with random chance at the General and Emperor levels of play. 3 turns on average might be about it for the General level at least.
Now, both Prussia and Austria declared war on the first turn them were invited.

Well if there were both at 0 rating it's basically a 1/4 chance. Two successive checks in that case would be 1/4 * 1/4. In other words, there was a 1/16 chance and the AI got lucky.

Defending ports is hard but you can take advantage sometimes by using a strong force to force march and get the "BEF" before it can get away. If you can really smash the main British army it takes them a little while to build up a new one.

Of course, at the Emperor level the AI gets advantages which allows the British to recover their strength more quickly.

HTH
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

ORIGINAL: mercenarius

The 9 turns of peace is at the "Corporal" level only.

I am not sure that I understand this problem. Prussia's diplomatic level was low enough that Britain could use the Offer of Alliance on the same turn that Austria surrendered. Is that correct? There is no inherent relationship between war with one major power and peace with another.

Did you try using your political points to raise Prussia's diplomatic value? You should get 4 political points for defeating a major power, Austria in this case.

The period to hold a capital and force a surrender varies with random chance at the General and Emperor levels of play. 3 turns on average might be about it for the General level at least.
Now, both Prussia and Austria declared war on the first turn them were invited.

Well if there were both at 0 rating it's basically a 1/4 chance. Two successive checks in that case would be 1/4 * 1/4. In other words, there was a 1/16 chance and the AI got lucky.

Defending ports is hard but you can take advantage sometimes by using a strong force to force march and get the "BEF" before it can get away. If you can really smash the main British army it takes them a little while to build up a new one.

Of course, at the Emperor level the AI gets advantages which allows the British to recover their strength more quickly.

HTH

I did use the political points I got from defeating Austria to influence Prussia, but I was able to use only two of them, then Prussia declared war.

My point was, that taking six months for Austria to surrender allowed Britain to continually reduce the diplomatic point level in its favor, even as every Austrian and Russian army was easily destroyed by the Emperor. This did not feel right, and that is feedback for you to consider.

So you are saying that the acceptance of the war invitation by both Prussia and Austria in one turn was the AI getting really lucky? Okay, I can accept that. I will see what happens as the game goes on.

I have a strong army in Paris, and I have in previous games used force march to get the BEF before it gets away. Unfortunately, I have yet to draw a forced march card, and I had previously used the one I had in the beginning of the game.

Thank you for your response.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

you can only use 2 points per turn as per rules, unless they have changed them and i've not read it correctly tbh
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “Victory and Glory: Napoleon”