Ship shields and aircraft tops

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

cardas

Ship shields and aircraft tops

Post by cardas »

So just for a bit of fun I've done work on my own completely unhistorical fantasy mod, but odds are I will never get it into any state suitable for a playable release. What I however can release is art I've done for it which anyone else can repurpose for their own needs. Some of the ships aren't fully finished and they all lack upgrade art, but you just have to accept them as they are. I can post the ships stats that I had intended to go along with them if anyone wants.

The majority are based on real designs or design projects to some degree, although some are entirely made up. Many of the designs are from a group of nations that in the fantasy mod would have been united, feel free to have a guess as to which region that is and/or what designs the shields are based on if you want. It shouldn't be that difficult to guess the region I hope, assuming my limited art skills are at least somewhat up to the task of reproducing the real designs.

Year ranges are (made up) laid down dates, some of the older ships are assumed to have been modernized.
1941+:

1931-1940:

1921-1930:

1911-1920:

1901-1910:

-1900:

All of the aircraft are real designs and all but the top one were built.
Aircraft:
paradigmblue

RE: Ship shields and aircraft tops

Post by paradigmblue »

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

Can you point to the real designs and design studies?
cardas

Post by cardas »

Had hoped someone would attempt to guess, but sure. When I say "based on" that doesn't mean its a carbon copy, just that it is at least more than just inspired by the original. You will also see that I've moved things a bit from when things were actually designed/laid down in the real world.

Spoiler

(In order, hopefully I don't skip any)
1941+:
Made up, Swedish Visby as starting point
2500 ton std 1940:ish destroyer design - Sweden
Loosely inspired by 1750 ton std 1940:ish destroyer design - Sweden
Based on Östergötland - Sweden
7800 ton std 1946 carrier design - Sweden

1931-1940:
730 ton std 1940:ish coastal destroyer design - Sweden
Made up, Swedish 1940:ish cruiser designs used as a very rough starting point
Based on Sleipnir - Norway
Based on Visby - Sweden
Made up
Based on Öland - Sweden
Made up, Swedish 1940:ish cruiser designs used as a very rough starting point
Based on design alternative for Gotland - Sweden
Based on Jägaren - Sweden

1921-1930
Made up
Made up, inspired by Commandant Teste - France and Chitose - Japan
Based on 3500 ton std Swedish 1934 cruiser design
Roughly based on design alternative for Gotland - Sweden
Based on Ehrensköld - Sweden
Based on Swedish 1921 cruiser design values
Based on Dragen - Denmark

1911-1920:
Made up, very loosely inspired by Großes Torpedoboot 1914R - Germany
Based on Shakespeare - UK
Based on Triglav - Austria-Hungary
Based on 3000 ton (construction ton?) 1916 cruiser design - Sweden
Made up, inspired by South Carolina - USA
Made up
Based on Trygg - Norway
Based on Sverige - Sweden
Based on Draug - Norway

1901-1910:
Based on Clas Fleming - Sweden
Based on (lengthened) Fylgia - Sweden
Made up, inspired by Nassau - Germany
Based on Hämeenmaa - Finland
Made up, inspired by Blücher - Germany
Based on Draug - Norway
Based on Léon Gambetta - France
Based on Plejad - Sweden
Based on Fylgia - Sweden

-1900:
Based on Kaiser Karl IV - Austria-Hungary
Based on Kaiser Karl IV - Austria-Hungary
Based on Komet - Sweden
Based on Örnen - Sweden
Based on Æger - Norway
Based on Svensksund - Sweden
Based on Brage - Norway

Aircraft:
Puuska - Finland
Myrsky - Finland
Pyörremyrsky - Finland
J 22 - Sweden
B 18 (inline) - Sweden
B 18 (radial) - Sweden
B 17 - Sweden
cardas

Post by cardas »

Another (fantasy) 1911-1920 cruiser along with a fix for a 1901-1910 cruiser (~Fylgia) I noticed I had put off-centre.

ImageImage
ImageImage
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

Cardas, would you be willing to help me out with some more art for Focus Pacific? I'm having trouble to get the transparencies - both ship and plane - to line up properly with each other, especially in the atop alpha file. I'd be happy to buy you a game on Steam or Matrix Games in exchange for the work.

These all look fantastic by the way. Great job on coming up with some of these nearly from scratch and them looking both plausible and professional.
cardas

Post by cardas »

I'm a bit hesitant to take requests and especially with asking for any compensation for it (you can do better than me for that [:'(]). I do modding stuff because it's enjoyable, but if I take requests I'd 1) feel I'd have to deliver a certain quality (especially troublesome when doing real designs) within a certain timeline - 2) that it becomes a job and not a hobby.
I agree that the atop file is troublesome, it's annoying to work with although it shouldn't be that difficult to get things to line up. Still, send me a PM about what you have trouble with and I can take a look, but no promises.

As for the realism, well at this level of detail you don't have to be that careful if you are making things up. It's not like I actually start planning out the machinery space, how to trunk things to smokestacks, accommodation spaces etc.. For the made up designs I just peek at a few related real ones and then put things in what I think seems to be reasonable places. I did sim a few designs with SpringSharp though.
For the real designs it's a bit trickier, you'd really have to find good pictures of them or make a model to figure out highlights and shadows. I've done neither, I just make an outline of the real design and then fill it in hoping for the best.
cardas

Post by cardas »

So I made two French ships, St Louis
ImageImage
and De Grasse
ImageImage
although after finishing De Grasse I noticed that Gary Childress had actually already done a version for it already. A bit of a wasted work for me to create a variant then, I don't know how I managed to overlook the existing version. I'm not sure the St Louis I made is exactly as whatever was the final design version but it should be close enough.

Also a bunch of ships for my fantasy mod that would surely have ended the naval war instantly had they been sent to the Pacific in the real world, namely coastal defense ships [:'(]. Also some additional destroyer variants and a patrol craft.
Many are real designs/ships, although as with the previous batch, they aren't necessarily all carbon copies.
Denmark - Project PG 255, 1936. Patrol ship?
Denmark - Huitfeldt destroyer
Sweden - Ehrensköld destroyer
Sweden - Visby destroyer
Fantasy destroyer
Fantasy destroyer
Sweden - Dristigheten coast defence ship (after being converted to a seaplane tender).
Sweden - Äran coast defence ship
Sweden - Äran coast defence ship (modernized)
Sweden - Oscar II coast defence ship
Denmark - Peder Skram coast defence ship
Norway - Nidaros coast defence ship
Finland - Coast defence ship proposal ~1925
Denmark - Project PG 237, 1938. Training ship (with 15 cm guns)
Sweden - Coast defence ship proposal ~1939 (lengthened)
Sweden - Coast defence ship proposal ~1945

The last one is pretty interesting due to both the late date and its size. It might look like a small cruiser in the profile view but the plan puts it at a standard displacement of 13100 ton.
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

ORIGINAL: cardas

So made two french ships, St Louis
ImageImage
and De Grasse
ImageImage

Fantastic work Cardas! mind if I use these in Focus Pacific?
cardas

Post by cardas »

Go ahead and use them, I made them for Focus Pacific after all (I would have stuck to the Nordic ships for now otherwise). Feel free to use any and all graphics posted here for modding.

As mentioned I'm not entirely sure if it's 100% true to the actual final designs. The Focus Pacific St Louis has a twin 100mm turret forward which this one doesn't. As an aside I'm not entirely happy with the smokestack either but I don't know how to make the special stack design look decent.
cardas

Post by cardas »

Only a single ship this time, one of the French "Alsace" battleship designs. Based on the picture at https://clausuchronia.wordpress.com/201 ... taille-11/
ImageImage
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

ORIGINAL: cardas

Only a single ship this time, one of the French "Alsace" battleship designs. Based on the picture at https://clausuchronia.wordpress.com/201 ... taille-11/
ImageImage

This is great, thank you Cardas.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Cardas, you're going to be the go to guy for art....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
cardas

Post by cardas »

Thank you both for your comments, though I'm not really looking to be the go to guy :)
Here's a bunch of minewarfare ships and I reimagined the fantasy battleships that I had slightly. I should perhaps add as an extra detail about the ships that are real designs, many of them are based on the images found on navypedia so credits to them.

Same deal as previous time.
Fantasy battleship
Fantasy battleship
Fantasy battleship (somewhat of a Dreadnought layout, but with superfiring aft turret)
Finland: Ruissalo (R-class)
Sweden: MUL 12
Sweden: MUL 11
Sweden: ~MUL 11
Sweden: Älvsnabben (slightly lengthened)
Finland: Viipuri
Norway: Otra
Denmark: Lindormen
Finland: Ruotsinsalmi
Sweden: Arholma
Norway: Olaf Tryggvason
Finland: Louhi
Finland: Vilppula
Norway: Frøya
Denmark: Lossen

Only a few patrol ships, auxiliaries and submarines left now and the Nordic side should have a pretty decent representation.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Very nice.
cardas

Post by cardas »

Thanks Dili!

Had other things to do so haven't really got any auxiliaries done. Also modified some ships I had in the first post.

Same old story as the other times.
Fantasy 60-65k battleship
France: Leon (had this one in the first post, style change to fit the line better)
Fantasy 10k heavy cruiser
Fantasy 15-20k heavy cruiser (had this one in the first post, kitbash lengthened)
Denmark: Hvidbjørnen
Finland: Turunmaa
Sweden: Hanö
Finland: Uisko
Finland: Silmä

The 60k battleship is really quite a bit too big for how I envision the "Nordic faction" for my mod. Turunmaa and Hvidbjørnen are also quite a bit too modern but I modified the superstructure to fit better. It's not like I will give, say, Turunmaa its 120 mm 80 rpm gun anyway so their capabilities in the real world doesn't really matter for the ship art after all.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Btw some of those more anonymous ships are useful to make some auxiliaries and patrol boats.
cardas

Post by cardas »

Definitely, pretty generic stuff. But I'd like to make at least the art for a larger submarine tender, a repair ship and a munitions ship.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Do you have any sailing ships? We need square rigged vessels and also
multi mast schooner rigged vessels. These even served in the US Army!
[See Ships and Watercraft of the US Army] The US Army had two fleets -
the official one and "MacArthur's Navy" - emergency pressed vessels in
Asia. There were even commissioned warships (in the Burma campaign).
A few commercial vessels also are known to history. But there is no art
for anything not single masted and schooner rigged.
cardas

Post by cardas »

Sorry that I didn't respond El cid, had much on my hands after summer. Unfortunately I don't have any sailing ships for you and I'm not confident I could make any that would look good.

While I haven't really made a lot of extra art due to being busy I have created the data entries for the classes of these fictional ships and added them to the DBB-C scenario 28 (extended map). I've also added the ships of these classes, but this is not a proper scenario! It isn't at all balanced, every single ship that is part of the fantasy "Nordic" fleet is present and ready for duty from the start of the game (in the UK port).
Now why would anyone be interested in this? Well you can of course still play it, I'd assume it would at least add a bit to the challenge if you are playing against the AI as the Japanese side - I haven't touched the AI scripts though. More importantly this gives you all the ship art (aside from the French ships) in a ready to use format. Unlike what I've posted here I also have variations for upgrades for quite a few ships, although the visual changes aren't usually that big. I've used numbers 3700-3999 for the bmps so make sure you don't overwrite anything in your own art folder that you want to use. Scenario number is 169.

I've hosted the scenario on MediaFire:
Edit: And of course I noticed some errors after uploading... So new link:
Edit2: Even more errors and I'm sure there are a lot I haven't caught yet:
Edit3: New post.
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Babes has some.

Attachments
AnSide0547.jpg
AnSide0547.jpg (6.41 KiB) Viewed 211 times

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”