A Bridge too Far - stacking too high!

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Rescue193

A Bridge too Far - stacking too high!

Post by Rescue193 »

The 9 unit stacking limit prevents units being flown into DZs and LZs from overflying fully-stacked hexes. Since the 'house rule' states the divisional DZ and/or LZ must be 'fully stacked' before additional units can be landed in adjacent hexes this can be a problem.

With a little judicious planning the problem can be overcome when flying in the US 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions to their respective DZs and LZs but it really poses a problem when it comes to 'dropping' the British 1st Airborne Division. The available landing hexes fill-up very quickly and the remnant can't be used because of the stacking issue.

Its also a problem in terms of launching the divisions from their initial bases. 1 Air Landing Brigade has to go in first for the 1st Airborne Div, if it doesn't the units behind it on the map (1 Para and 4 Para) can't overfly it in its start position. Also, the divisional HQ and support has to be dropped before the I Para because if 1 Para lands first the HQ and support can overfly the 1 Para DZ. The problem rears is head again when it comes to flying the 52 Lowland Div. If a hex en route happens to be fully stacked the airborne unit can't overfly it and so it can't get to its designated landing field.

I don't know if this 'problem' is seen in another scenario - I suspect its not - and so I guess fixing it is not a priority. But it is there, and if someone dreams up another scenario which involves a large airborne element it could cause problems.

Return to “Scenario Design”