Infantry Gun vs Anti-tank gun

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

Infantry Gun vs Anti-tank gun

Post by GaryChildress »

If you could equip all your infantry formations with a single gun, which would it be, infantry gun or anti tank gun? Which is a better all around gun, especially in the early game with a "stone age" start? My thinking is that an infantry gun would have limited anti-tank capability along with whatever supporting capability it has but a tank gun is much more specialized for an anti-armor role only. However, I'm not sure if that is true in game terms or not. Does anyone know?

Thanks.
ernieschwitz

RE: Infantry Gun vs Anti-tank gun

Post by ernieschwitz »

I think it is a tough choice.

There are definately times when I would want an Infantry Gun over an AT Gun. But assuming you are equipping formations with mortars too, I am inclined to lean towards the AT Gun, simply because I can maximize the role of the infantry formation in that role, against tanks, which is a weakness.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I think it is a tough choice.

There are definately times when I would want an Infantry Gun over an AT Gun. But assuming you are equipping formations with mortars too, I am inclined to lean towards the AT Gun, simply because I can maximize the role of the infantry formation in that role, against tanks, which is a weakness.

Do infantry guns offer any added resistance to tank attacks or make formations more resistant to being overrun by armored cars?
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Infantry guns have a small armor attack rating. But other then that nothing special that I know of.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Saros

Post by Saros »

What makes Infantry guns worth it over Mortars? From the stats other than the fairly mediocre ability to act as artillery they seem more expensive and significantly worse for the same amount of production spent on them.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

For one thing they can be built with factories. Mortars cannot.

Chuck
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

There is also a tendancy I noticed that infantry guns die more rarely than mortars. Thus they will often have higher experience, and that is something worth considering.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
FieldOfGlory

Post by FieldOfGlory »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

For one thing they can be built with factories. Mortars cannot.

Chuck
ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

There is also a tendancy I noticed that infantry guns die more rarely than mortars. Thus they will often have higher experience, and that is something worth considering.
Yes I totally agree with both these guys. Between factories and survivability the Infantry Gun is definitely a useful piece of equipment. Infantry Gun can sustain much more damage from enemy Field artillery which is the main weakness of Mortar IMHO. But like any Artillery IG's are susceptibly divebomber attacks.
davebob

Post by davebob »

I wouldn't build just one type. However, against the ai, I would definately go at guns first. Cause..here come the armoured cars !
Having said that,that being said,that having been said,saying that,that having been said,having said all that,that said.....
StrategyGamer

Post by StrategyGamer »

It depends on the situation, in a forest/jungle front, then Infantry Gun is the way to go, as Armor/Armour will be useless in the terrain and infantry will be on the prowl.
In open terrain, AT would be the best choice as AC and tanks would dominate

IG has the advantage of the range on level 2, so you could still do damage to enemy units without getting involved in a land battle.
AT is just really good at killing tanks

Although if you were going AT in open terrain, why not go AC, or Fighters, or Divebombers? Unless you have no oil of course...

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”