OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Revthought

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Revthought »

I'm having a little trouble the age of some of these actresses. More the time period they're from. It's making me feel very young. Thanks guys. [8D]
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: Revthought

I'm having a little trouble the age of some of these actresses. More the time period they're from. It's making me feel very young. Thanks guys. [8D]

Youngster ........
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Natalie Dormier is her granddaughter in the show

She's kinda cute but looks like someone you should turn around and run away from as fast as you can. [X(]

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: scout1

ORIGINAL: Revthought

Youngster ........

Well, he can at least fantasize that he's the illegitimate son of one of them. Rev, you're not are you? Stay away from that Dormier chick, she might be your sister. [X(]

bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

She's kinda cute but looks like someone you should turn around and run away from as fast as you can. [X(]

You may have a point -- her character is on her third royal marriage (her two previous kings died unnatural deaths, although not by her design). She seems to be a bad luck queen, and her own omens may not be good. A few years ago she played Ann Boleyn in The Tudors.

Attachments
dormierTudors.jpg
dormierTudors.jpg (296.37 KiB) Viewed 146 times
bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

And the cinema James Hunt dumped her for Olivia Wilde - some girls are just unlucky.

Attachments
wilderush.jpg
wilderush.jpg (123.38 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

Natalie Dormier is her granddaughter in the show

You could say that about most of the GoT characters...life in Westeros is nasty, brutish, and short.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I may be nasty and brutish, but I'm 6'1".

1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

from snout to tail?
TTFN,

Mike
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Careful Mr. Gorn, Westeros has REAL fire breathing dragons.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Not quite true - the Dragons are still in Esteros, two at Mereen and one with Daenerys - but I am sure they will be crossing the Narrow Sea soon!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Not quite true - the Dragons are still in Esteros, two at Mereen and one with Daenerys - but I am sure they will be crossing the Narrow Sea soon!
Right. That's what I meant.
Do Gorns get greenscale?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Serious issue:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/politics/ ... ban-japan/

We've had a long series of incidents in Japan, particularly Okinawa, that are quite dangerous to our alliance and measures must be taken. Besides an indefinite ban on alcohol use on base or off, off-base leave is "curtailed". This applies to the Navy, and I presume any or most Marines who may be stationed there. Let's get something out of the way and then say no more about it. The people of Japan in general to varying degrees, are culturally sensitive about race. There's nothing we can or should do about it and our military (only) must accept that and act accordingly. Again, let's say no more about that. Obviously I'm speaking as a US citizen. Another matter is that there have been incidents involving military contractors. I wonder if perhaps to the extent possible, if we could use Japanese (or Korean) contractors wherever possible?

Now, if I may add a little levity, one incident describes one of ours driving on the wrong side of the road. He or she was driving drunk of course. Nonetheless, I'd just like to point out that the Japanese (and the British as well) drive on the wrong side of the road. That means you, too, warspite1.

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Serious issue:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/06/politics/ ... ban-japan/

We've had a long series of incidents in Japan, particularly Okinawa, that are quite dangerous to our alliance and measures must be taken. Besides an indefinite ban on alcohol use on base or off, off-base leave is "curtailed". This applies to the Navy, and I presume any or most Marines who may be stationed there. Let's get something out of the way and then say no more about it. The people of Japan in general to varying degrees, are culturally sensitive about race. There's nothing we can or should do about it and our military (only) must accept that and act accordingly. Again, let's say no more about that. Obviously I'm speaking as a US citizen. Another matter is that there have been incidents involving military contractors. I wonder if perhaps to the extent possible, if we could use Japanese (or Korean) contractors wherever possible?

Now, if I may add a little levity, one incident describes one of ours driving on the wrong side of the road. He or she was driving drunk of course. Nonetheless, I'd just like to point out that the Japanese (and the British as well) drive on the wrong side of the road. That means you, too, warspite1.

1St of all, you probably didn't intend to , but you are dangerously close to being political. The Navy Command in Japan is , as most places the Navy is , run by senior career officers (AKA "politicians in uniform"). In relations with the Japanese government , "political considerations" ALWAYS trumps military considerations, and will do so till the 1st Japanese city gets nuked (again). Most contractors in Japan who work on "American" bases ARE Japanese. That's in part because the Japanese pay for , and run the base. The next thing you need to understand is Japan has a sharply divided opinion on the subjects of war and militaries. You have a strong pacifist side , against a "not-so-pacifist" side. And maybe a very tiny group that might be slightly militaristic. The pacifists object to the Japanese Self Defense Force" completely. Notice I didn't say Army , or Navy. As a result what would be called a helicopter carrier in any other country is called a "Destroyer". Aircraft don't have inflight refueling capabilities because that would be considered "aggressive". As a result , this part of Japan wants NO military , let alone the US military in Japan. Okinawa is upset with the US military being based on their island , because they get absolutely no say in the negotiations (it's all done by Tokyo, to keep the USMC off the mainland as much as possible).

So as a result of all these internal Japanese political disputes, Uncle Sam's forces in Japan get caught in the middle. In any other country in the world , if a sailor got drunk and hit someone , the USN would pay massive amounts of money and offer the sailor up to that country to punish them as they wish (usually most countries will let us punish them as we'll punish them much harder).

So the result is forces in Japan (and Okinawa) are generally on their best behavior. And kept on a very short leash. Sailors for several years have had very sharp restrictions on curfew, alcohol restrictions , wearing uniforms, and other behavior. What's even more interesting is so have their dependents. No where else has that ever happened. I personally love visiting Japan, but wouldn't want to be stationed there under the current restrictions.

And the Japanese tend to be somewhat xenophobic. There are many restaurants and shops that have signs that say "no foreigners". The Chilean ambassador's wife a few years ago sued a jewelry store that excluded her. The case went all the way up to their Supreme court where in a shocking decision she actually won! (Gajin? Impossible).

So the point I'm making is that there is a lot more involved than the press is saying (imagine that? The press getting it wrong?).

In other words, let's take this with a grain of salt, assume that the press doesn't know what it's parroting , and trust the Navy politicians not to endanger their careers (I mean behave inappropriately) and will smooth things over (again). Because I'd have to say that as long as you have US Sailors and Marines in Japan you will have flare ups like this. Apologies will be made , gestures will be played out , and life will go on. [:(]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Thanks for the facts and informed opinions, Steve. Tomorrow I will go back in time to May 11, 1942 for a good example of the press taking what they're fed and spitting it back out as true.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

On May 11, 1942 the following report was printed in the NYT. Almost none of it was true (see any report from Judith Miller in the NYT when she was still with them). I have access to NYT archives so that's why I'm showing it, but just as an example. You see the dateline is Chungking. American and British reporters as well as others were getting fed this nonsense by the Kuomintang and Chiang Kai-shek and being published worldwide. The US and British Armies knew exactly what was really happening but apparently weren't consulted.

Attachments
times51142420.jpg
times51142420.jpg (482.63 KiB) Viewed 149 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The part about the strafing is mostly true but "riddled with bullets" is kind of vague.

MuguNiner

Post by MuguNiner »

I have been really enjoying this off topic topic, and now for something different.

gorn
USMC 1976-80
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

My professional experience with the press in general is that they are completely
unreliable in all but the most simplistic things. Most people have an area of
expertise, usually their trade or profession and one or two hobbies or side interests.
The rest of our general information we get from the press and other conventional
sources. I noticed early in my career that they were almost completely inept at
providing any kind of accurate technical detail in my knowledge area and the language
and terms used indicated no understanding of anything except in a most general way.
I thought since they cannot get my areas of expertise remotely near the truth this
must happen for every other field as well.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: danlongman

My professional experience with the press in general is that they are completely
unreliable in all but the most simplistic things. Most people have an area of
expertise, usually their trade or profession and one or two hobbies or side interests.
The rest of our general information we get from the press and other conventional
sources. I noticed early in my career that they were almost completely inept at
providing any kind of accurate technical detail in my knowledge area and the language
and terms used indicated no understanding of anything except in a most general way.
I thought since they cannot get my areas of expertise remotely near the truth this
must happen for every other field as well.
warspite1

Agreed. I have been doing a lot of research into the Battle of Jutland recently. Out of curiosity, part of this has involved reading newspaper articles and I have to say the level of accurate writing is low. In fact that is unfair - its pretty appalling and if, as you say, most people get their general knowledge from sources like the press then its a sorry state of affairs. Frankly I would sooner believe something written by soojan than something written in the newspapers....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”