Installing mods with steam version

Post bug reports and ask for support here.
dago_red

Installing mods with steam version

Post by dago_red »

Hi, I need general help getting a mod to work in Gateway to Caen. One in particular at the moment is the 1946 mod and I've already asked the creator but either due to language barrier or confusion, he cannot explain (or just link me) to installation instructions (there are none in his threads or on his site).

I already tried the small maps mod successfully, but that uses a mod manager which is impossible to find and download (if TIK hadn't included it with the mod). Is that how all mods are enabled? I ask because there is no mention of it in the few other mod threads out there, including 1946.

1. I pointed the 1946 installer to the usual place, Steam/steam apps/common/GTC and unpacked (but as a total war player I'm used to installing things in a DATA directory too, so I'm not sure of the correct path). Installer dumped a mod folder into the base directory, along with shortcut on desktop, but nothing shows up in game that way.

2. I tried the JSGME (mod enabler) method, and selecting it with that utility works, but there's no loading bar (when you switch 1946 mod to the right column, enabling it) so I know something's wrong. Sure enough, nothing in game when launched normally or with the mods own shortcut.

3. What am I missing?
SteveMcClaire

RE: Installing mods with steam version

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Without knowing how this mod is supposed to work, I can't say for certain. But the general procedure is:

1) Install your modified files in a directory under the game main install directory. This would be ...\steam\steam apps\common\GTC\<mod name>\. The mod installer may do this automatically.

2) Create a new shortcut that runs the game executable (CCE.EXE) with the command line switch "/D <mod name>"

3) Use the shortcut created in step #2 to run the game, not the default method of starting from Steam.

NOTE: Trying to set launch options in Steam to use the /D switch won't work, because the Steam entry for Gateway to Caen actually launches a front end app first, and forces you to click on a 'play game' button before you actually get into the game proper.

Steve

dago_red

Post by dago_red »

Thanks for the reply, that does clear some things up. Strange though because everything you described already checks out.

The mod installed its own folder in the base directory (plus two uninstall files in a "mods" folder) and created a shortcut with the target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Close Combat - Gateway to Caen\CCE.exe" /D GTC 1946 (there's also a 1.0 after 1946, which is correct to the folder the mod creates, but the forum won't let me post that, it thinks it's a phone number? )

The mod's folder contains 393 MB with a DATA sub file,, Graphics, and LOCALFX sub files, so it looks all ready to go. Can't fathom what the issue is if this doesn't need the JSGME or something extra like that to run. I'll try a reinstall.
mooxe

Post by mooxe »

There's two ways to install mods onto the Steam version.

1. Use JSGME just like Tik's Small Maps Mod does. After you have extracted the files from the 1946 auto-installer you can rework the file and folder structure to work with JSGME.
2. Manually install. This requires you to overwrite the original files with the modified files within the Steam versions original folders. (This is what JGSME does for you.)

IIRC the /D switch will not work with the Steam version at all. Even if you create your own launch icon using the switch, it will always bring you to the front end app.

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.
dago_red

Post by dago_red »

That's all there was to it, thanks mooxe!

I had asked on the mod makers forums and read several others, but nowhere was it stated so simply that for a steam installation you must use JSGME (barring an overwrite). I even asked this specifically, and tried using it several times but it never worked. It was as easy as moving the files into the Mods folder and loading it through the JSGME.

ps. I think I recognize your nick from the the net fan site and trove of information, which I've visited many times over the years to keep up with this (mostly) great series. Keep up the good work.

Return to “Tech Support”