The Babar Island Conflict, 2021 -- new scenario for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

The Babar Island Conflict, 2021 -- new scenario for testing

Post by Mgellis »

My newest beta...a conflict between Australia and Indonesia, with Australia supporting a small, breakaway province (the Babar Islands).

This was an attempt to try a longer scenario (10 days), where there is a lot of action going on with smaller vessels and aircraft while a larger battle group makes its way to the Babar Islands (and then must sit there for a couple of days as a "show of force.") I have tried to include various events, especially weather changes.

Please let me know what you think. Observations, comments, suggestions on any and all aspects (gameplay, if the Orders of Battle make sense, if the missions work properly, if the Events work properly, if the orders are written properly, things that could be added to make the game more interesting, etc.) are all welcome. Thanks!

[removed until revisions complete]

AlexGGGG

RE: The Babar Island Conflict, 2021 -- new scenario for testing

Post by AlexGGGG »

Missing magazines at least on the Canberra SAG, and also I could use one more AWACS if you have one stashed somewhere.
Raptorx7_slith

Post by Raptorx7_slith »

Interesting scenario Mark but I do have a few suggestions.

The F-18's only have access to the AIM-120B which leaves them at a severe disadvantage against the SU-35's and upgraded F-16's, it is 2021 so poor Australia can afford some C's or D's at least right? :)

Another AWACS would be lovely just to create a nice cycle instead of being terrified when the only one I have needs to head back to base.

The task group is lacking munitions for its tigers and if I'm not mistaken can't that HC carry F-35's, once again because of the 2021 thing?

Thanks again for the scenario hope this helps!
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Version 2 uploaded...more aircraft for Australia and I tried to set up a commando raid by Indonesia but I am not sure how well it works.

Comments, suggestions, etc. all welcome! Thanks!

AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Growler has callsign of Test 1, and one for the Super Hornets has callsign of Test 2.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: AlexGGGG

Growler has callsign of Test 1, and one for the Super Hornets has callsign of Test 2.

Oops. [:)] Thanks for catching that one.

Those were just there so I could set up the magazines. The real ones are at Amberley and you have to ferry them over. I'll take the "test" planes out.

AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Well, I played it through and frankly I don't see a point of it taking a week or more.

I had air superiority in a day or so, all enemy ships destroyed, including arriving party from Indonesia, in maybe two days (by F/A-18s with JSOW or whatever it was), and minesweeping also done pretty quick. The last 6 days of the scenario there was zero action. So the opening moves make a good scenario, and pretty well balanced, even maybe without additional aircraft (I used SAMs extensively in the first version and I did get air superiority). However, once the opening is played out in first two or so days, there is nothing else to do.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: AlexGGGG

Well, I played it through and frankly I don't see a point of it taking a week or more.

I had air superiority in a day or so, all enemy ships destroyed, including arriving party from Indonesia, in maybe two days (by F/A-18s with JSOW or whatever it was), and minesweeping also done pretty quick. The last 6 days of the scenario there was zero action. So the opening moves make a good scenario, and pretty well balanced, even maybe without additional aircraft (I used SAMs extensively in the first version and I did get air superiority). However, once the opening is played out in first two or so days, there is nothing else to do.

So, possibly drop it down to 4 days, and move the battle group closer (which means it might become a target) so that it can reach its station?

How did the weather change events work?

Or...what could be done to make it more reasonable to be a 10-day scenario? Add more Indonesian units but do not let them show up until day 5 or 6? I've already committed a big chunk of Indonesia's air force and navy, and if those are wiped out in 2-3 days, I wonder if they would continue the conflict. Seems too risky simply for one small island, although giving up does run the risk of inspiring other rebellions--if Babar Island can get away with it, why not us, too?

Any other thoughts on this one? Thanks.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Version 3 uploaded.

I've reduced the length of the scenario to a week and moved the battle group closer (so the scenario may not even last a week).

I've added a few more aircraft, etc. for Indonesia...hopefully this will make them more of a challenge.

I've modified the Events in the scenario, including weather.

Please let me know what you think and what can be done to make the scenario better. Thanks!

AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

I can tell you what the problem is, although I don't know what to do with it

assuming

1. Modern day sensors, i.e. long range airborne radars
2. AI has AAW patrol missions always active and in standard 1/3 setting, so there are always targets for my fighters

I can have one enemy aircraft killed in two sorties of my fighter. Each sortie takes four hours (transit times are effectively nil). I have about ten fighters (not exact number but for the sake of argument). In every four hours, I kill five enemy aircraft. That works out to, like, I can have 30 aircraft killed in 24 hours. Since Indonesia does not have many more than that, the air battle is decided in 24 hours (does not matter who wins, battle ends regardless). They do not have any SAMs to speak of, so I do not need SEAD missions. Then, I need to find and kill whatever remaining ships there are, which is done in one or two sorties of a strike package. ASuW reloads take like 6..10 hours, so in another day there are no Indonesian ships left (assuming I have enough aircraft left to strike). Therefore, it is not realistic for the active battle to last for more than two.. three days if I'm really playing and not waiting.

You need something political to slow me down.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Version 4 uploaded. Major change is to create long ready times for some of Australia's aircraft, reducing the player's ability to devastate Indonesia early on. There are message Events added to remind people that their extra aircraft are becoming available.

I'm not sure this is the best way to do this (although adding all the extra units at the time the message appears would have been a nuisance...all those lua actions!). I'm also not sure it is entirely realistic, although I suppose I could phrase things in the briefing to explain why the operational commander does not have all his planes right at once.

Thoughts? Observations. Suggestions? Thanks.
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

I had air superiority without extra aircraft (i.e. at 4 d 21h to go), by extensively utilizing SAMs from ships.

Arrived on station with all ships at 4 d 10 hours to go.

Unless there is a major air strike inbound, there is nothing else to do.

Results so far 670 Triumph

EDIT: Scenario complete at 4d 7h to go, score 1170.

SIDE: Indonesia
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x 331 Martadinata [Sigma 10514]
1x 351 Ahmad Yani [Van Speijk]
1x 357 Bung Tomo [Nakhoda Ragam, F2000]
1x 365 Diponegoro [Sigma 9113]
2x 401 Cakra [Type 209-1300]
1x 590 Makassar [Tanjung Dalpele, Dr. Soeharso]
2x 641 Clurit [KCR-40]
4x AS.565MBe Panther
1x Boeing 737-200A Surveiller SLAMMR
1x C-130H-30 Hercules
2x CN-235-220M [Patmar]
3x F-16CJ Blk 52ID Falcon
3x Mi-17V5 Hip H
11x Su-30MK2 Flanker G
5x Su-35S Flanker E

SIDE: Australia

LOSSES:
7x F/A-18A Hornet

SIDE: Rebels

LOSSES:
1x 807 Boa [KAL-36 Kobra]
1x Bridge (Two-lane 60 Tons)

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Thanks to AlexGGGG and everyone else who playtested this scenario. It sounds like it is not very challenging, so I am going to pull it for a while, tinker with it, and see what I can do to make it better. Thanks again.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”