HoI IV $30 on greenmangaming.com

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rosseau

HoI IV $30 on greenmangaming.com

Post by Rosseau »

Yeah, with the coupon code they have JUNE25
Qwixt

RE: HoI IV $30 on greenmangaming.com

Post by Qwixt »

I am reading up on it a bit more. Hard to turn down at $30 for me.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, that is truly dirt cheap. And from the screens, future support and simple modding capability, it will probably be my favorite wargame yet. At least that's what I'm hoping [;)]

Also, it was supposed to release one year ago, which to me is an excellent sign it might be playable out of the box.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

It's too bad there won't be a game manual for Hearts of Iron IV.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yes, I just found that out myself a few minutes ago. Here 2x3 games puts together a 200+ page change log for WitE with a few guys, and Paradox not even a PDF manual. It's a bad precedent for a complex wargame like that.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I won't give away any spoilers, but watch this episode all the way through.

Significant dates 11 May and 13 April...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyCL1LIESR8

Jim
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

I won't give away any spoilers, but watch this episode all the way through.

Significant dates 11 May and 13 April...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyCL1LIESR8

Japan sends divisions to help?

Oh I found a hitler video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0y8zht3mM

too funny the end of first episode. 1936 even.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Yes, I just found that out myself a few minutes ago. Here 2x3 games puts together a 200+ page change log for WitE with a few guys, and Paradox not even a PDF manual. It's a bad precedent for a complex wargame like that.
The HOI4 wiki IS the manual
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
Japan sends divisions to help?

That too is an issue, but the dates I mentioned pertain to the start and end dates of the war for France. A brand new strategic doctrine for Germany is introduced with the new Hearts of Iron game, VP rush... It's a far more devastating doctrine than say Blitzkrieg.

Jim
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Paradox is starting a new trend by releasing grand strategy games without a manual. Other companies will pick it up and pretty soon there will be no game manuals--.pdf or otherwise--included with a PC game.

I own every Hearts of Iron game that's been released so far, but I won't be buying HoI4 unless it has a game manual.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Paradox is starting a new trend by releasing grand strategy games without a manual. Other companies will pick it up and pretty soon there will be no game manuals--.pdf or otherwise--included with a PC game.

I own every Hearts of Iron game that's been released so far, but I won't be buying HoI4 unless it has a game manual.

Why would you want a PDF manual when there is a wiki integrated into the game itself? It's all the exact same information but linked together for easier navigation and regularly kept up to date.

Dev Diary concerning the wiki and tutorial.

The Wiki Itself

If you look there you can see what it will look like. Also note the interactive tutorial described which should be a better tutorial than any they have done before. And you can download the wiki as a file which can be accessed offline if you so desire. And they will be putting up instructional videos to help learn the game.

I guess I can understand the desire to have a physical manual in a certain sense, but such a thing would be objectively inferior to what they are offering.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

It's a trend here anytime anyone starts a thread about HOI the same people post and complain.Might as well call the thread "bash HOI"
wings7

Post by wings7 »

It's a trend here anytime anyone starts a thread about HOI the same people post and complain.Might as well call the thread "bash HOI"

That's OK, let them complain, the Hearts of Iron franchise always gets my gratitude! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

Under an hour to release at this point.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

The Hoi series sould be called "Making HOI's" the abstract history of world war II in Paradox eyes. [:D]
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

*** COMMENT MODERATED ***
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33
ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Why would you want a PDF manual when there is a wiki integrated into the game itself? It's all the exact same information but linked together for easier navigation and regularly kept up to date.

Dev Diary concerning the wiki and tutorial.

The Wiki Itself

If you look there you can see what it will look like. Also note the interactive tutorial described which should be a better tutorial than any they have done before. And you can download the wiki as a file which can be accessed offline if you so desire. And they will be putting up instructional videos to help learn the game.

I guess I can understand the desire to have a physical manual in a certain sense, but such a thing would be objectively inferior to what they are offering.

I don't have to be on the internet to read either a printed paper manual or a .pdf manual. Wikis, YouTube videos, and fan sites are helpful--I use them, too--but Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV have both been released without a game manual. How long do you thing it will be before every other PC game publisher won't bother to include any documentation at all with the games they publish?

I will probably buy Hearts of Iron IV sooner or later, but not until it's on sale for dirt cheap; Paradox certainly maximized their profits from it by doing away with documentation so why should I buy HoI4 on its day of release and give Paradox more profit than it deserves?
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

*slaps forehead*

Well, I won't argue further, except to point out that I already pointed out that you can view the wiki offline. And quite the opposite of slashing the budget by getting rid of the manual, they are hosting a website which includes every single bit of info you would find in the manual with the benefit that it will be kept up to date with every single change. I just can't see why you would want a static PDF over an up to date and directly integrated wiki with all the same information.

But I guess if you would prefer a physical manual or PDF that might be months/years out of date, more power to you.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

I can't remember the last time I read a manual. It might have been the pacific panzer general game when I couldn't figure out what was an objective.
It didn't help anyway.

i much prefer a decent tutorial and a link to the other pages.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

On their web site they have a Strategy Guide coming up...
http://www.heartsofiron4.com/
Here is the Wiki...
http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Hearts_of_Iron_IV

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

Return to “General Discussion”