America's Secret Weapon

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Custer6

America's Secret Weapon

Post by Custer6 »

I saw America unleash its secret weapon in the war on terror today. No, not the armed forces of the USA or even the generous charity from its wealth. I saw America let loose the one weapon that propaganda, terror, torture, economic deprivation, or moral apathy cannot stop: FREEDOM was implanted into the Middle East today. And as the world cursed or cheered the pictures coming from Iraq, I know that the dictators that hide behind propaganda and intimidation and the mullahs that hide behind religious intolerance and fear will mark this day as the beginning of the end. Sam Adams lives in the streets of Baghdad today and will not be stopped.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Well when all the utterances are uttered one thing is hard to paint any different than as I saw it.

Watching for an hour, how the locals vented on Saddam's statue in downtown Baghdad (where according to official Iraqi sources there are no coalition forces present), sure said something that is hard to spin any other way than how it looked to me.

This dictator's days are measured if not over.

A week or a month or even a year from now, there will still be work needed to fix Iraq.
I don't think though, it signals a new era in the middle east. Just an end to Saddam's regime.

I certainly don't think the American taxpayers pockets are bottomless, no one is going to fund the rebuilding of every last nasty dictatorship.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

I don't know about anyone else here,but i would glady pay a little extra in taxes for a long term project to bring real democracy and prosperity to Iraq...hell they would not even have to appreciate it,ask the Germans or Japanese,and therein lies the true beauty of freedom.
"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

That makes you a rare dude, but then a special one as well man.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
That makes you a rare dude, but then a special one as well man.

Special as in i rode the short bus to school?:D

I would say the same thing about Afghanistan,but in my opinion,the chances for a succesfull form of representative democracy are slim.Iraq has a well educated middle class and though years of sanctions and wars have lowered their standard of living,there is still a kernel to work off of there
"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."
Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

The war is won. :)

Now they have to win the peace. I'm afraid that will prove a lot more difficult.
Got StuG?
The MSG

Re: America's Secret Weapon

Post by The MSG »

Originally posted by Custer6
I saw America unleash its secret weapon in the war on terror today. No, not the armed forces of the USA or even the generous charity from its wealth. I saw America let loose the one weapon that propaganda, terror, torture, economic deprivation, or moral apathy cannot stop: FREEDOM was implanted into the Middle East today. And as the world cursed or cheered the pictures coming from Iraq, I know that the dictators that hide behind propaganda and intimidation and the mullahs that hide behind religious intolerance and fear will mark this day as the beginning of the end. Sam Adams lives in the streets of Baghdad today and will not be stopped.

Can't say if this is true, but I've heard the area this took place in was the Shia quarters. There is a little bit of "extra sentiment" on the Saddam issue there. ;)
"Arf! Arf! Thats my other dog impression."
-Oddball

Big Bill

Post by Big Bill »

Looking at one of the palace's that Saddam had along the Tigris make's me wonder just how long it will take for some enterprising Iraki busieness man to buy it and open a resort! I would love to visit the region if they can ever get the crazies to calm down!!
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

Originally posted by Maliki
I don't know about anyone else here,but i would glady pay a little extra in taxes for a long term project to bring real democracy and prosperity to Iraq...hell they would not even have to appreciate it,ask the Germans or Japanese,and therein lies the true beauty of freedom.

IIRC the current cost of the war to the US taxpayer is US$140 Billion and still rising.:eek: Thats 20 times Australia's annual defence expenditure:rolleyes:

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Noodleboy

Post by Noodleboy »

Great. They've now got the freedom to loot hospitals and government buildings because the Police, Fire Departments and Medical personnel are all staying at home!

If we allow this widescale looting and mayhem to continue then lawlessness ensues. From what the Beeb was saying this ayem, the civil order thing is not going too well.
The MSG

Post by The MSG »

Originally posted by Noodleboy
Great. They've now got the freedom to loot hospitals and government buildings because the Police, Fire Departments and Medical personnel are all staying at home!

If we allow this widescale looting and mayhem to continue then lawlessness ensues. From what the Beeb was saying this ayem, the civil order thing is not going too well.

Yeah, that was my worry here. :(
"Arf! Arf! Thats my other dog impression."
-Oddball

Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Looting and destructive anarchy is horrible.

Well unless you are carrying a war protest sign. Then I guess it is ok, because you are just venting frustration against the system eh.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Look at it like this guys, terrible subjugation for 3 decades, perhaps more, now complete anarchy. Opposite ends of the spectrum experienced in a matter of days. The Iraqis need to know that they do not want either one and I do not doubt that they will settle down with a bit of guidance from us. As far as the cost, remember the cry of the protesters "this is all about oil". Well it wasn't, but the reconstruction will be. I too, and there are many more Americans that will be willing to trim a little cash from our lifestyles to help our fellow man. The cost of freedom is great, it should never come easy, lest we take it for granted. We will win the peace, we have to, the world's future generation's sanctity depends on us. Or do ya'll want to leave it to the UN, no, perhaps the French, Germans, Russians? Now Sarge get over to Battlefront, SC v. 1.07 is beta testing, come and help.
SeaMonkey
Snigbert

Post by Snigbert »

Did you know that the US Congress is going to be investigating why the Corporation which **** Cheney used to work for (and is still a major shareholder of) received open ended government contracts for the rebuilding of Iraq previous to the war starting. The reason for the investigation is because there was no 'fair competition' involved in the bidding, which is a legal requirement when awarding government contracts (the government is forced to solicit a certain number of bids and accept the lowest).
In times of national emergency the fair competition practice can be ignored with Congressional consent, but previous to the war starting it is difficult to see why we were in such a state of emergency that the government couldnt solicit bids.

I'm personally a supporter of the war but I find this sort of war profiteering really disgusting.

Edit: FYI, I put the common nickname for Richard which Cheney goes by above, not a vulgar word.
"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the
sgt joe

Post by sgt joe »

Originally posted by Snigbert
I'm personally a supporter of the war but I find this sort of war profiteering really disgusting.

All government contracting is really disgusting if you look at more than just the ones that support your political point of view. Care to discuss gov't contracting in general or are you just following a party line here?
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.'" -- Words of wisdom from Dirk Gently
Snigbert

Post by Snigbert »

Care to discuss gov't contracting in general or are you just following a party line here?

I dont follow a party line, feel free to post as many disgusting govt contracting stories as you like. I'm interested.
"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

Return to “General Discussion”