Order of Battle goes global!

Gamers can find out here about the latest happenings from Matrix and its partners.

Moderator: MOD_PressReleases

AlbertoC

Order of Battle goes global!

Post by AlbertoC »

Order of Battle fans, we have big news for you. The game previously known as Order of Battle: Pacific is being restructured into Order of Battle: World War II, a bigger project with a wider scope and the goal of featuring multiple fronts of World War II.

Order of Battle: Pacific is going to be split into three different products:

Order of Battle: World War II, featuring the bootcamp missions and the first mission of each DLC.
• The Order of Battle: U.S. Pacific DLC, featuring the American Pacific campaign.
• The Order of Battle: Rising Sun DLC, featuring the Japanese Pacific campaign.

Now hold on to your seats! Order of Battle WORLD WAR II will be available to everyone for free! It contains the bootcamp scenarios plus the first scenario of every DLC (including future ones), and they are completely free. You will be able to try the game, play several scenarios and decide if you’d like to buy the DLCs.

Important: if you own Order of Battle: Pacific you’ll be given free keys for the two DLCs, Rising Sun and U.S. Pacific, plus any other DLC you already own!

That’s not all: in order to unlock the fully-featured editor and every single faction in multiplayer only a single DLC purchase is needed!

Ok, here is an example of what you can expect from this system.

Below is the campaign screen that you’ll see if you’re a newcomer to the series and you have never purchased the base game. You have immediate access to the bootcamp campaign (at the top) and all of the other campaigns (which are DLCs) are grayed out but you can still click on them!

Let’s click on the US Marines campaign (at the bottom). A description is displayed on the left panel and now two buttons have appeared on the right. If you click on “Try Campaign”, you’ll be able to see the campaign screen and launch the first scenario, which is Solomon Islands.

So you can enjoy this scenario with absolutely no restrictions.

After a few hours of intense combat, you finally beat the scenario and switch to the next one in this campaign (which is Guadalcanal).

Now you can read the briefing, deploy your units and plan your future moves. But when you’ll press end turn, you’ll see the following screen. Either you want to continue your amazing wargaming experience and purchase the DLC to unlock the whole campaign or you can quit and go back to the main menu. In any case, your progression is saved so even if you decide to purchase the campaign later, you’ll be able to keep the experience that your units earned in the first scenario.

Also, as mentioned previously, the editor, multiplayer modes and community content are not available in the free version, but you only need to own one of the DLCs to instantly unlock this content!

Finally, here is an example of what happens when you buy (or already own) a DLC of Order of Battle: World War II. Every single campaign owned appears with bright colors in the campaign screen. Also instead of the buttons previously displayed, you now have a “Launch” button. Click on it and you’re ready for a full campaign of amazing scenarios!

wings7

RE: Order of Battle goes global!

Post by wings7 »

That's great news for an already enjoyable series! Thank you! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Very impressive. Might grab my attention.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Excellent news for this highly enjoyable game.
A Sharif
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

As I have the base game and both DLCs on Steam, explain again how I benefit. The OP seemed a bit breathless.
Jim Cobb
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

ORIGINAL: Bismarck

As I have the base game and both DLCs on Steam, explain again how I benefit. The OP seemed a bit breathless.

You don't get anything new, this is more of an announcement about how the format of the game is changing. Instead of coming out with new standalone games (e.g. Order of Battle: Western Front, Order of Battle: Eastern Front), ALL future content for the Order of Battle series will be tied to the same base game. So for any future campaigns you will be able to try out the first mission, then buy it if you want.

I really like this model and think it's a great way to handle this series. I really, really wish this was how the newer Combat Mission games had been structured.

I have a strong inkling that we might see something similar with Steel Tigers. They throw the base game out there with a taste of the most popular theaters and armies, and let people buy what they want. Then later go back and add in more obscure stuff.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33
ORIGINAL: Bismarck

You don't get anything new, this is more of an announcement about how the format of the game is changing. Instead of coming out with new standalone games (e.g. Order of Battle: Western Front, Order of Battle: Eastern Front), ALL future content for the Order of Battle series will be tied to the same base game. So for any future campaigns you will be able to try out the first mission, then buy it if you want.

I really like this model and think it's a great way to handle this series. I really, really wish this was how the newer Combat Mission games had been structured.

I have a strong inkling that we might see something similar with Steel Tigers. They throw the base game out there with a taste of the most popular theaters and armies, and let people buy what they want. Then later go back and add in more obscure stuff.

Well, the announcement states "Order of Battle: World War II will be available to everyone for free!" Does that include those on Steam?

The game editor (and other stuff) hangs in the balance.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Krashzero

Post by Krashzero »

I'm now curious. If what Ranger33 has written is true, where does that leave those of us, who do not and will not use Steam? I have bought the boxed version, as well as all the add-ons, so if they do go the way as Ranger33 has typed, does that mean I will not get the oppotunity to purchase anymore add ons?

[:)]I have to admit, it does feel like that those of us that buy the game from the Matrix and Slitherine websites are financing the Steam buyers. Before anybody gets "trollie" just sit back and have a think at what I have written.

Again this is written very politely and no offence is intended. I would have asked Matrix/Slitherine directly, but couldn't find away to contact them. Opening a Help desk ticket did not seem the right thing to do.

I hope all you Steamies enjoy the game.
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

I'm not sure where the Steam-iness comes from - I can't see anything in the thread that says it is Steam only... [:)]

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Krashzero

Post by Krashzero »

"Important: if you own Order of Battle: Pacific you’ll be given free keys for the two DLCs, Rising Sun and U.S. Pacific, plus any other DLC you already own!"

The reference to "free keys", as per above line which I copied from the first entry, is a term used for Steam. You are given a Steam key to access your newly puchased game etc. Also, nowhere does it state that this will be available from the Matrix/Slitherine sites. If I'm wrong, so be it. As I wrote, I was curious.
Many thanks for replying. [:)]
(Again, written politely)
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

The way it will work is that your old OOB base game serial will act as a serial for both the DLC's that used to be part of the base game. The word key and serial are often used interchangeably. A steam key is the thing that unlocks your game on steam. On Steam we'll gift everyone who bought the game before it became free with the 2 DLC's. Everyone who already has the game wont have to do anything. All their current content will just work. It really only affects new people and lets people try the game for free and means all future content will be in one package, We could not really release European DLC's for Order of Battle PACIFIC, so the game is being rebranded as OOB WW2 and the Pacific campaigns are just DLC's. It is a little confusing but hopefully this all makes sense! The short story is you don't have to do anything!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Return to “Press Releases, News and Events from Matrix”