OT - RIP P-47

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wdolson

OT - RIP P-47

Post by wdolson »

Just heard a P-47 crashed into the Hudson River in New York a couple of hours ago

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2016/05/27/here-is-the-moment-a-wwii-era-p-47-crashed-in-the-hudson-river-pilot-rescued-photos-video/

The pilot was hurt but survived.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
rustysi

RE: OT - RIP P-47

Post by rustysi »

Not good. Probably in for the air show at Jones Beach this weekend. Well there's one WWII vet we won't see.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
chaussej

Post by chaussej »

They are reporting that the man rescued may not actually be the pilot now
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Hate to see another one go down. The case does seem to be pilot was KIA here
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

Just read this morning that a body was recovered.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Pretty sure this was the one. took this last year but saw the same plane in the air yesterday morning

Attachments
5D3L2087.jpg
5D3L2087.jpg (369.16 KiB) Viewed 115 times
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Does a radial engine give you a better chance of survival on impact than an inland engine?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

It does if you have it out for maintenance.

This from NorthJersey.com:

Initially Friday night, there had been some brief confusion surrounding the fate of the pilot, when New Jersey State Police reported — and later retracted — that he had been rescued.

About the same time, authorities pulled a man from the water who witnessed the crash and jumped into the river to help. That man was not injured, Silzestri said, adding that Gordon’s body was recovered around three hours after the crash.

robinsa

Post by robinsa »

RIP the pilot. A pity about the plane but the human loss is much greater.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

+1 It appears the plane may be salvageable, possibly the engine as well.

Attachments
p47.jpg
p47.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 115 times

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

As I told a friend last night, it's always painful when I hear about a WW II vintage aircraft crashing, it's worse when it's a rare aircraft and still worse when someone died.

That plane is easily restorable to at least static condition if not flyable. They have restored planes to flying condition that were in a lot worse shape than that. I note the flaps were down and the prop is not bent, that might indicate some kind of emergency rather than flying too low.

A radial would be tougher to ditch than an inline engine, more drag on the water when you hit. It's best to hit the water with the nose up anyway to slow the plane a little before the nose hits, but when that big opening for the radial hits the water the plane is going nose down very fast. If it's moving slow enough, it's just a rough ride and the plane won't flip, but if moving too fast the plane will flip end over end from the sudden deceleration of the nose.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

The P-47 was a lot tougher than most planes and had a reputation for coming back even with huge chunks blown off.
This plane appears pristine, compared to some.

Terrible news about the pilot.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Hope we find out who the hero was who tried to rescue the pilot. I can't do it now but as a boy scout I learned how to dive from a floating position down (I don't remember, 12', 15'?) to some milk jugs full of sand on the bottom and bring them back up. The plane was in 20' of water, I couldn't have made it, I don't think. Apparently the canopy was ajar a bit, possibly indicating the pilot was trying to get out. Would it have been wise, knowing you were going in, to open the canopy completely before hitting the water? They tell us if we accidentally drive into a lake or river to crack open the driver and passenger windows, wait for the water to rise up to your chin, take a deep breath, then open your door after the car is full, as you wouldn't be able to do so until the car fills.

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Hope we find out who the hero was who tried to rescue the pilot. I can't do it now but as a boy scout I learned how to dive from a floating position down (I don't remember, 12', 15'?) to some milk jugs full of sand on the bottom and bring them back up. The plane was in 20' of water, I couldn't have made it, I don't think. Apparently the canopy was ajar a bit, possibly indicating the pilot was trying to get out. Would it have been wise, knowing you were going in, to open the canopy completely before hitting the water? They tell us if we accidentally drive into a lake or river to crack open the driver and passenger windows, wait for the water to rise up to your chin, take a deep breath, then open your door after the car is full, as you wouldn't be able to do so until the car fills.

A better idea is to stay on the road.[;)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You know how men are with directions. [;)]

BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

What about Gorns?
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Yes , opening and locking the canopy might have been a good idea. Old time carrier pilots used to do take-offs with the canopy open and locked. Part of the problem with holding your breath then hitting the water is the "gasp principal". They teach it in Navy DWEST (Deep Water Survival Training) is that you should take several deep breaths , and saturate your lungs. As soon as you hit the water , the cold is going to cause you to GASP , losing any air you have in the lungs (and probably inhale a mouth full of water). It's so pronounced that HELO crews actually fly with a HEED bottle (sort of like a small SCUBA divers pony tank) to give them enough air to get to the surface (mainly because helos ALWAYS turn upside down , as opposed to fixed wing that only occasionally turn turtle). One of the hardest things about getting out of a sunken aircraft is getting out of your harness. Unless you regularly practice , the shock of the crash often makes it impossible , especially if upside down.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”