New to Game - This Game is Brilliant

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

LordMM

New to Game - This Game is Brilliant

Post by LordMM »

Greetings puny humans

SO after being disappointed at Stellaris after buying the Galaxy edition i came across the 60%off and purchased Distant Worlds.

Ooooh...boy is this a totally different ball game than the rest of the space 4x games out there. A lot of the 4x games out there followed the Master of Orion concept instead of trying something new, every game looked like the same old things with maybe a small changes here and there. I like how this game tried something new and different instead of having population units being put in "Food, research or manufacturing".

Stellaris and most other games

Peasant works the fields farming for food
Switches her to a physics lab
Peasant is now an Quantum physicist

Honestly i am amazed at how the game works, freighters transporting goods from one part of the empire to another, transports transporting passengers into other colonies, people visiting popular tourist sites in your empire. Even the inter Galactic trade is realistic where freighters from other Empires come and go through your empire transporting essential goods and luxury resources. Hell, i can even create a penal colony on a volcanic world [&o]

I would honestly like to thank Eric for making such a wonderful game and i hope Distant Worlds 2 will follow the examples of Distant Worlds 1. Though i would prefer a better looking 2D map than a fancy looking 3D map
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
RemoteLeg

RE: New to Game - This Game is Brilliant

Post by RemoteLeg »

Welcome intergalactic traveler.

The level of depth in this game is truly astounding and well worth the effort to understand. Yes, the "retro" interface has certainly been commented upon, but I think that's part of the charm.
There's an enormous thread about what people want in DW version 2, so please throw in your 2 cents when you get the chance.

I'm glad you took the time to check it out.
Enjoy.
See my Distant Worlds tutorial videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VfLtaT9Y81
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

LordMM

Distant Worlds is in my opinion the best 4x game out there and there is so much you can do with it.

If you would like to change the background galaxy map you can go to the install folder Distant Worlds\images\environment\galaxybackdrops , backup galaxy_backdrop.jpg and replace it with another image.

SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

ORIGINAL: LordMM

Greetings puny humans

SO after being disappointed at Stellaris after buying the Galaxy edition i came across the 60%off and purchased Distant Worlds.

Ooooh...boy is this a totally different ball game than the rest of the space 4x games out there. A lot of the 4x games out there followed the Master of Orion concept instead of trying something new, every game looked like the same old things with maybe a small changes here and there. I like how this game tried something new and different instead of having population units being put in "Food, research or manufacturing".

Stellaris and most other games

Peasant works the fields farming for food
Switches her to a physics lab
Peasant is now an Quantum physicist

Honestly i am amazed at how the game works, freighters transporting goods from one part of the empire to another, transports transporting passengers into other colonies, people visiting popular tourist sites in your empire. Even the inter Galactic trade is realistic where freighters from other Empires come and go through your empire transporting essential goods and luxury resources. Hell, i can even create a penal colony on a volcanic world [&o]

I would honestly like to thank Eric for making such a wonderful game and i hope Distant Worlds 2 will follow the examples of Distant Worlds 1. Though i would prefer a better looking 2D map than a fancy looking 3D map

Welcome to your new addiction for those boring summer days when you could be outside in the sun grilling burgers. Pah, let the peasants tend to the minutia like food preparation(oh hi honey! did I call you a peasant? ono that was simply a metaphor I'm using in a forum post.. wait, wait.. put down the skillet..[:'(])as you forge your grand interstellar empire from the humble beginnings of your pre warp society alone on a single rocky homeworld. I might suggest you install the excellent icemania ai mod as it greatly enhances the ai and its subsequent ability to give you a good game which is the point after all.

Also I hope dw2 sticks to a 2d presentation as you can do much with pixel art especially when you add in volumetric type effects for the explosions and such.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
arvcran2

Re: New to Game - This Game is Brilliant

Post by arvcran2 »

Bump! And we even have a sequel ... :D
jayman

Re: New to Game - This Game is Brilliant

Post by jayman »

I agree this game is really good, and even better with the DWUR mod.

From the screenshots of DW2 I don;t think I'm going to progress to that. I used to play GalCiv2 a lot, and I heard good things about Galciv3 (3D! Yay!), and I purchased that with all it's DLC, loaded it up and... disappointing. I think I only played it for a week or so before I got bored with it.

DWU has much more to it, and it's kept me up until four in the morning sometimes (just explore this one more system, it looks like there's an abandoned ship there). I like to play with auto only on taxes and private ships/bases though, so maybe that's why! I'm one of those weird autistic people who hates running and shooting games (except Doom, I like that) but likes micro-managing a large space empire!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”