Using ARDs

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lokasenna

RE: Using ARDs

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

The thread eventually got to the right answers. [:)]

Additionally, I believe Michael put new code in a recent beta patch to report exactly which ship, by name, is in each ARD when one is in the ARD. Anyway, it's there, and I don't recall it being there before. In aopeationsreport.txt

I think it was put in because there were some issues with them even getting used when ships were set to Repair Ship. We also got some info that ARDs will add 100 repair points per turn, but I've noticed in tracking one of my repairing ships that it's gaining more like 125-130 points per turn - so either it's getting assistance from the ship crew, or other factors, in addition to the ARD or the ARD doesn't add just a flat 100 points. I've also noticed that the repair priority matters. On High priority, the ship was only getting around 70 points per turn. On Critical, it's getting the 125.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

Ughfortunately, it ain't possible to assign a specific ship to ARD repair, one must depend on the game-engine's 'repair manager' to do the right thing.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

Ughfortunately, it ain't possible to assign a specific ship to ARD repair, one must depend on the game-engine's 'repair manager' to do the right thing.

If the port has no ARs, but only an ARD, setting one ship to Repair Ship-type repair should put it in the ARD 100% of the time. When there is an AR, as in some of the Marshalls major bases, I have sometimes put the ARD at a nearby dot hex, and moved ships there one at a time to fix the float, then a hex back to fix the rest pierside. That lets the AR contribute its repair points to the pierside effort without complicating repair manager efforts to figure out what gets the ARD.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Additionally, I believe Michael put new code in a recent beta patch to report exactly which ship, by name, is in each ARD when one is in the ARD. Anyway, it's there, and I don't recall it being there before. In aopeationsreport.txt

I think it was put in because there were some issues with them even getting used when ships were set to Repair Ship. We also got some info that ARDs will add 100 repair points per turn, but I've noticed in tracking one of my repairing ships that it's gaining more like 125-130 points per turn - so either it's getting assistance from the ship crew, or other factors, in addition to the ARD or the ARD doesn't add just a flat 100 points. I've also noticed that the repair priority matters. On High priority, the ship was only getting around 70 points per turn. On Critical, it's getting the 125.

I always set my ARD ships to Critical. Just always have. Haven't noticed any odd point differences, but I don't track them either. [:'(]
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I always set my ARD ships to Critical. Just always have. Haven't noticed any odd point differences, but I don't track them either. [:'(]

After Michael said the 100 point thing, I got curious because my casual check-ins on the ships under repair didn't seem to point to that being the case.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

If the port has no ARs, but only an ARD, setting one ship to Repair Ship-type repair should put it in the ARD 100% of the time. When there is an AR, as in some of the Marshalls major bases, I have sometimes put the ARD at a nearby dot hex, and moved ships there one at a time to fix the float, then a hex back to fix the rest pierside. That lets the AR contribute its repair points to the pierside effort without complicating repair manager efforts to figure out what gets the ARD.
Great idea Bullwinkle! If I ever get an ARD I will use your method. [:)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Great idea Bullwinkle! If I ever get an ARD I will use your method. [:)]

To be clear, this was more useful pre-Michael's beta patch fixes on ARD assignment. But it's still an organizational tool if you like tidy.
The Moose
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I am not running Beta so it will be useful!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Not only useful, but it will prevent a bug where your ships won't use the ARD at all.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Not only useful, but it will prevent a bug where your ships won't use the ARD at all.

Yep. And it's not that easy to notice all the time. The beta is your friend.
The Moose
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ARD can repair smaller amounts of major float dmg,

An ARD will repair all float damage to any vessel that'll fit its tonnage capacity. Japan only gets one and it starts in Truk. Its of 3000t limit. I've used it to repair the float damage of many DD's and Subs. Hey its not much but saves the time and fuel of a trip back to the HI. Now for larger vessels a trip back to a large repair yard may be of value as it should cut the repair time.

I may be experiencing this in my current game. Need to check, and then patch to the beta.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: rustysi
ARD can repair smaller amounts of major float dmg,

An ARD will repair all float damage to any vessel that'll fit its tonnage capacity. Japan only gets one and it starts in Truk. Its of 3000t limit. I've used it to repair the float damage of many DD's and Subs. Hey its not much but saves the time and fuel of a trip back to the HI. Now for larger vessels a trip back to a large repair yard may be of value as it should cut the repair time.

I may be experiencing this in my current game. Need to check, and then patch to the beta.

Are you sure on the size restriction?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

For the IJN ARD? Yep, it's 3000.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

For the IJN ARD? Yep, it's 3000.
Yeah, that one with the French name represents one that they captured IRL. But I understand some of the modded scenarios added some ARDs - at least for the Allies, so they may have given Japan some as well.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

so they may have given Japan some as well.

Not to my knowledge. Then again I've only played stock.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

2 more in da iron babes

Return to “The War Room”