Microsoft's latest Windows 10 upgrade sneaky trick

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

RE: Microsoft's latest Windows 10 upgrade sneaky trick

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I think Bill Gates and Microsoft went too far this time with their OS and demanded updates and monitoring. If anything is BIG BROTHER now this is the OS for sure.
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
ORIGINAL: zakblood
250 million installed and still climbing since release[;)]
If 250 million people jumped off a cliff would you follow them? [:'(]
The vast, vast, vast majority of people are lemmings.
windows xp user are out of the loop

Why would anybody actually want to be in a loop?
and should have upgraded years ago,

Why?
as more software is no longer supported so no development or testing is done on that platform much now so.
What if their XP runs everything they want and/or need? What if they have outgrown the lure of the dangling keys above their crib?

Have you ever heard of someone on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time on their computer?
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

When I had XP, I had to reinstall it every couple years to keep it functioning. With Win7, I have never needed to reinstall it in the almost 7 years I've had it. If they want to get rid of my Win7, they will have to pry it out of my cold dead computer.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Upgraded last year from Win 7. Why not? It's free.

Everything I have runs on Win10.

Even though I have them still, for now, I don't see the need for 3.1/95/98/Vista/XP/7.

Especially as support has ended /is ending.

As for reinstalling, I format and reinstall twice a year.

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

because sometimes upgrades break things (for instance, internet access), even if it is free. Getting a major problem for free is not a great bargain...
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

because sometimes upgrades break things (for instance, internet access), even if it is free. Getting a major problem for free is not a great bargain...

Didn't happen to me. Ever. Even with the old hardware.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Didn't happen to me. Ever.

Good for you, but plenty of people have issues. Google "lost internet after windows 10 upgrade" and see what comes up (I had this problem about 9 months after windows 10 came out, and none of the several solutions that I tried worked).

So the fact that things worked well for you does not mean that anyone who doesn't upgrade is some kind of luddite.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: bobarossa

When I had XP, I had to reinstall it every couple years to keep it functioning. With Win7, I have never needed to reinstall it in the almost 7 years I've had it.

That is word by word my own experience.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
Didn't happen to me. Ever.

Good for you, but plenty of people have issues. Google "lost internet after windows 10 upgrade" and see what comes up (I had this problem about 9 months after windows 10 came out, and none of the several solutions that I tried worked).

So the fact that things worked well for you does not mean that anyone who doesn't upgrade is some kind of luddite.

What it means is that it isn't the software, it's the hardware.

I don't have to google anything to understand that.

Nimrod 9th

Post by Nimrod 9th »

Started the upgrade process. Got a message my Symantec Endpoint Protection was incompatible so I stopped the upgrade. Anyone got any insight into that issue? I'd like to keep my Symantec because I get it free through my employer.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

It can be the hardware, it can be the software and it can be both...
Some users will be able to upgrade without experiencing any issue, some won't. It was always like this and it isn't different with Windows 10. In fact, it's always better to do a clean installation. That has been the golden rule with any Windows version.

ORIGINAL: Nimrod 9th

Started the upgrade process. Got a message my Symantec Endpoint Protection was incompatible so I stopped the upgrade. Anyone got any insight into that issue? I'd like to keep my Symantec because I get it free through my employer.
You'll have to update your Symantec Endpoint version. Does the company who you work for has any IT department?
You should ask them about this.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

It can be the hardware, it can be the software and it can be both...
Some users will be able to upgrade without experiencing any issue, some won't. It was always like this and it isn't different with Windows 10. In fact, it's always better to do a clean installation. That has been the golden rule with any Windows version.

I've never had software that failed to run. I had one game, Shogun Total War, that would freeze during a battle. Which was a hardware problem. (New video card fixed that one.) Same with Red Baron for my Amiga 1000. It was a slide show.)

That was also a hardware problem (Not enough memory.)

Sure, you can get bad software. But if it works on machine A, but not B, I'd look at the hardware.

For me, 10 worked on machine A, (AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core.), and machine B, (4 core Intel 6600K)

And yes, clean install. Always :)
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

And yes, clean install. Always :)
Wise decision. [:)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Nimrod 9th

Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/w ... t-security
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Actually it is their software not running with my hardware (a three year old computer). Meanwhile, Windows 7 is perfectly functional and I see no pressing need to upgrade.

But you seem to be suggesting that solely because Microsoft wants me to upgrade to Windows 10, I need to upgrade my computer? Is that it?
Didn't happen to me. Ever. Even with the old hardware.
I had one game, Shogun Total War, that would freeze during a battle. Which was a hardware problem. (New video card fixed that one.) Same with Red Baron for my Amiga 1000. It was a slide show.)

That was also a hardware problem (Not enough memory.)

OK, didn't happen to you ever, other than twice, which you fixed with hardware upgrades.

Meanwhile Win7 and the desktop it runs on work perfectly well and I see no need to upgrade my desktop's internal WiFi receiver just for the benefit of running Win10.
I really don't understand what point you're trying to make...I've already said that I like Windows 10, I've upgraded one computer with no problem, but it did not work with one computer, even though you have never had a problem...so what?
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

In light of this ongoing discussion, I found this piece of news from today both hilarious and enlightening:

"the (US) Department of Defence systems that co-ordinated intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft "runs on an IBM Series-1 Computer - a 1970s computing system - and uses eight-inch floppy disks".
"This system remains in use because, in short, it still works," Pentagon spokeswoman Lt Col Valerie Henderson told the AFP news agency."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36385839

Nevertheless they are considering to upgrade in 2017. But I doubt they will use Windows 10 [:D]

I own an iMac and IMHO OSx is a far superior OS than any windows version. Apple's upgrades and new versions are free, not imposed in any way, and just work.

I have a dual boot configuration with Windows 7, just for games (that unfortunately continue with their Microsoft enslavement). Fortunately Apple considers my iMac from 2011 (with an i7 CPU, 32 Gig RAM, 2TB HD, etc), "not compatible" with Windows 10 and took care automatically of wiping out windows 10 upgrade adware. I am very thankful to Apple for it [:)]

Regards
Former AJE team member
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

In light of this ongoing discussion, I found this piece of news from today both hilarious and enlightening:

"the (US) Department of Defence systems that co-ordinated intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft "runs on an IBM Series-1 Computer - a 1970s computing system - and uses eight-inch floppy disks".
"This system remains in use because, in short, it still works," Pentagon spokeswoman Lt Col Valerie Henderson told the AFP news agency."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36385839

Nevertheless they are considering to upgrade in 2017. But I doubt they will use Windows 10 [:D]

I own an iMac and IMHO OSx is a far superior OS than any windows version. Apple's upgrades and new versions are free, not imposed in any way, and just work.

I have a dual boot configuration with Windows 7, just for games (that unfortunately continue with their Microsoft enslavement). Fortunately Apple considers my iMac from 2011 (with an i7 CPU, 32 Gig RAM, 2TB HD, etc), "not compatible" with Windows 10 and took care automatically of wiping out windows 10 upgrade adware. I am very thankful to Apple for it [:)]

Regards
Thank you for sharing this. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

If a program worked on a computer before Win 10 but has problems after and needs correcting by hardware upgrades is it really a hardware problem?

My wife is big into crafting and sewing. Yes high end sewing machines that cost as much as some new cars computerized and with large software programs and connected with home computers. Like gamers they have had many problems when converting to Win 10. Machine and program experts have issued warnings that they should not do so. Zakblood and many others of you are much more of computer experts than I am but I understand that one of the problems can be that Win10 puts so many things on the computer and uses so much memory that many of the computers that are "upgraded" to 10 just can't handle it.

I am running 7 with no problems and see no reason to run the risk of converting the system. I have no desire or enough computer talent to have to do hardware upgrades and/or having to fix, delete, change, "clean" install, and/or any other computer tech actions to make it work should there be problems. I'm not saying no to Win 10 but I think I may wait until I buy a new great powerful gaming computer that comes with it already installed. In the mean time my computer is working great with the games and the old saying if it isn't broke don't fix it sounds like it just may apply here.

Added edit: The dirty trick of installing it onto computers by trickery, hard to find information and/or saying people should have seen and remembered a posting from the past is just plan unethical. No one should have to turn their computer on and find out it is now windows 10 when they didn't want it.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

windows 10 in fact has a better memory management use than any previous version, it will use what you give it, i run it on 2gb pc, a 4gb pc's 8gb and 16gb for my main test pc, and a 32gb pc for my main gaming rig... so if it works on xp and up, it will almost certainly run win 10.

Here's what Microsoft says you need to run Windows 10:
Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
A Microsoft account and Internet access.

so while it boots faster, i use SSD's mostly, but have got some raptor drives as well standard 10k and a 15k version still in use, when these go i won't have any more HDD's and all will be SSD.

reasons for me to use it, is ease of use, loading time from a fresh image is 12 to 20 mins from a network image off a SDD onto another SDD, images have updates pre installed and some software as well, so not standard release version, just slip streamed them myself and have one for each pc on network stored.

to re image a drive can take with error checking twice as long, but well worth the effort imo.

for those of us who wish to use the latest version of DRX 12.1, win 10 is our only option as well[;)]
if it isn't broke don't fix it
and that's great advice as well, i'd never say upgrade for the sake of it, it's not like a car that you need just to show off to next door, it has to be functional and do everything you need, so agree with thread starter, bad move from M/S forcing others to use it, and there's already enough bad misinformation to put plenty off, without M/S giving other more ammo to fire[:-]

(edited) spelling and typos a plenty[:D]

Return to “General Discussion”