Win10 upgrade issue

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Taxcutter

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

Post by Taxcutter »

Thanks for the help, guys.

The tyrants of Redmond had my beloved WitP-AE all fouled up (wouldn't scroll). After your suggestions were implemented it runs as good as ever.
ckk

Post by ckk »

I went to the 32" All is good Thanks again!
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

OK, does anyone else have the pws file problem in Windows 10?
I can only attach a WITPAE pws file to an email if I save the damn thing to an empty slot in the Save folder.

The files exist because I can access them from inside WITP. This must have something to do with file attributes or something. Perhaps the Windows 10 browser?
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Where did you install AE? If you put it in the programs(x86) folder, then Win 10 file permissions are getting in the way.
Install it to something like "C:\matrix games\War in the Pacific"
proflui

Post by proflui »

Hi,

I also run into problem using Windows 10. I am using most of the switches and I have already solved the slow down problem. However, when I try to play any scenarios that does not use the whole map like coral sea or guadalcanal, my cursor is having problems when I move up or down. This problem only applies to resolution higher than 1440X900. It does not matter whether full or window mode is used. My problem applies to both using keyboard or using mouse to move. The problem is that map, which supposed to be restricted to the "red square" in the mini map, actually gives me extra columns of hexes. When I move up or down, the direction is not moving stictly up/down, it moves up/down and move by some columns outside the boundary of the map. So the up down movement actually move up or down plus sideways. It actually screws up the movement of the cursor. Do anyone encounter this problem?

Thanks for the help in advance. Sorry for my poor explanation.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

Not a Win 10 issue, but definitely check your switches. I recently installed Linux and installed the game and all the patches, applied my usual switches and went to play. I wondered why everything looked so weird and stretched out. My resolution switches are -px1366 -py768, but when I double checked, I had typed -px13666 -py768. Had one 6 too many, it looks and runs just fine now.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
Ginetto

Post by Ginetto »

Windows10/WITP-AE compatibility is a never-ending saga. Last night I spent hours fiddling with switches because double-clicking on the game icon elicited no reaction whatsoever. The switches that had so far worked were -dd_sw, -f, px1920, -py1080, -deepColor. After a lot of hassle it came down to down-grading resolution to x1600 y900. Why this sudden problem I have no idea, being a PoliSci major. My suspicion is that an automatic Windows 10 upgrade from Microsoft is somehow involved. Any ideas?
Gino
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

Hello guys

I'm afraid I have a problem with the game after I have upgraded to Windows 10 (I had windows 7 previously). The game runs without any problems but I do experience the following:

- a severe lag in scrolling on the map when I have a base or unit selected. The only way I can move around the map is to use the minimap on the bottom of the screen. When I do not have any unit or base selected the scrolling is as it should be fast and very responsive

- a severe lag in going through the different units or bases. It is very slow and practically makes the game difficult to play as this is the stand I spend the majority of time while playing.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of these problems?

Thanks a lot in advance
Ginetto

Post by Ginetto »

Right click on the game icon. Go to properties and try the switches I'm using. One thing to avoid absolutely is autorun.exe after .....Edition. It should simply read ...Edition.exe" (remember to close quotes) and then continue with -dd_sw -f -px1600 -py900 -deepColor. The problem is that every machine has its own characteristics so the switch that works for one won't for another.
Gino
melnibonian

Post by melnibonian »

ORIGINAL: Ginetto

Right click on the game icon. Go to properties and try the switches I'm using. One thing to avoid absolutely is autorun.exe after .....Edition. It should simply read ...Edition.exe" (remember to close quotes) and then continue with -dd_sw -f -px1600 -py900 -deepColor. The problem is that every machine has its own characteristics so the switch that works for one won't for another.

Thanks a lot for the help.

I tried a few different combinations and so far things look positive.
proflui

Post by proflui »

ORIGINAL: chemkid

@proflui - this is not a windows 10 problem - afaik for everyone using a larger game-window-size (eg fullscreen 1920x1080px) playing a scenario with 'smaller scenario boundaries than window-size' the jumping-map-problem appears. just lower your game-window size for playing a smaller scenario, or if not playing PBEM use the editor and change the scenario boundaries yourself...

remember, this game was made for a 1024x768px resolution/window-size - hd and widescreen support came later.

Thanks for the great help!
apbarog

Post by apbarog »

Thanks to all who have posted their Windows 10 experiences and solutions. Your pain was my gain. A small amount of fiddling with switches, and I'm good to go. Just read this thread, from beginning to end, and you will find your answers.
airdefender

Post by airdefender »

I am still having trouble with this. I have tried adding the switches outside of the quotation marks and it makes no difference. I took out the autorun command and the program would not let me do it. It gives me an error message. Help. I am not that tech savy and this is my favorite game. I need step-by-step instructions with complete examples. Thank you.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

You don't need to delete the autorun, but you should be modifying and using the link for the game itself. Just ignore the autorun and don't use it.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: airdefender

I am still having trouble with this. I have tried adding the switches outside of the quotation marks and it makes no difference. I took out the autorun command and the program would not let me do it. It gives me an error message. Help. I am not that tech savy and this is my favorite game. I need step-by-step instructions with complete examples. Thank you.

See witpqs' post #39 in this thread. Similarly with any other issues you encounter on setting up and running the game on Win 10, this thread contains a plethora of explanations with pictures and samples.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
airdefender

Post by airdefender »

OK, I don't think you understood. I am not tech savy. I need a step-by-step walk thru. Under Properties/Shortcut/Target my line is "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -dd_sw -px1600 -py900 -deepColor

Also, between -dd_sw and -px1600 there is a little symbol that I don't understand. Is this correct? Are they in the right order? I copied and pasted it from another entry in this thread.
I am running in a normal window and no modifications to the compatibility. Are there other changes I need to make?
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

OK, I don't think you understood. I am not tech savy. I need a step-by-step walk thru. Under Properties/Shortcut/Target my line is "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe" -dd_sw -px1600 -py900 -deepColor

Also, between -dd_sw and -px1600 there is a little symbol that I don't understand. Is this correct? Are they in the right order? I copied and pasted it from another entry in this thread.
I am running in a normal window and no modifications to the compatibility. Are there other changes I need to make?
Change autorun.exe to War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe and that should fix it.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
airdefender

Post by airdefender »

When I do that I get a message screen "The name 'C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition.exe' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure path and file name are correct." I can ignore the message but this does not solve the problem. What am I missing?
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

When I do that I get a message screen "The name 'C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition.exe' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure path and file name are correct." I can ignore the message but this does not solve the problem. What am I missing?
You've copied it wrong. There's no 's in the Target line.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -dd_sw -px1600 -py900 -deepColor

That is the proper command line
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Return to “Tech Support”