Microsoft's latest Windows 10 upgrade sneaky trick

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

stuart3

Microsoft's latest Windows 10 upgrade sneaky trick

Post by stuart3 »

According to the BBC news website, Microsoft have changed the windows 10 advert so that clicking on the red cross in the right hand upper corner now launches the upgrade instead of closing the box.

I suggest unticking the box in control panel that allows recommended updates or downloading never10.

The forum won't let me include the link. Something to do with 10 posts. I think I need to post some spam entries to make up the numbers.

I expect someone can forward the link for me.[;)]
Jagdtiger14

RE: Microsoft's latest Windows 10 upgrade sneaky trick

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

This might help too:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... windows-81

I made this mistake too, and when it started to download I just turned my computer off. It worked.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

250 million installed and still climbing since release[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

That's great for those who want it. Not all have been convinced by Microsoft's arguments though.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i said i'd never leave windows 98se but did

same with win2k

xp

win7, then 8 and now love 10, as pure gaming platforms go, they keep getting better, and for me windows 10 is the best one released so far, bar none
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I don't have a problem with Windows 10 for my personal computers, I updated my laptop as soon as it was available, then my desktop PC once I felt comfortable with it.

On the other hand, I'm essentially the IT guy where I work, which is a pharmacy/retail store. Our business depends on several pieces of software running perfectly or else the whole thing comes to a screeching halt. With that in mind, we have no good reason to update to 10 and risk something being incompatible.

Now last week at 9:30 in the morning (one of the busiest parts of the day for a pharmacy), half of the computers shut down with absolutely no warning and started updating to Windows 10. I was scared to try and stop the process, so for an hour those PCs were offline. I quickly googled the issue and turned off automatic updates on all the other PCs in time. Luckily the PCs which host our processing programs did not go down.

Needless to say, I was fuming. Our entire operation almost brought to a halt because they insist on forcing this software on every PC they can.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well I intended to resist - and then I too found I was suddenly going to get the upgrade by default (when banks tried that kind of sell there was hell to pay and billions paid in compensation - why do Microsoft get away with it?).

I immediately cancelled it but then thought oh what the hell, it's going to happen anyway.... Touch wood the change went over as smoothly as anything, all my files were where I left them and I have not got any issues - at least none that I know of.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: stuart3

According to the BBC news website, Microsoft have changed the windows 10 advert so that clicking on the red cross in the right hand upper corner now launches the upgrade instead of closing the box.

I suggest unticking the box in control panel that allows recommended updates or downloading never10.

The forum won't let me include the link. Something to do with 10 posts. I think I need to post some spam entries to make up the numbers.

I expect someone can forward the link for me.[;)]

I fix it for you [:)] The article says "Microsoft has changed the behaviour of its latest pop-up box encouraging users to upgrade so that clicking the red cross in the right-hand corner of the window no longer cancels the upgrade" LOL

Attachments
UPGR.jpg
UPGR.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 239 times
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

I bought me a new gaming computer and refused the W10 thing installed. I gave them my Win7 serial and I stick to it.

My reasoning is sound IMHO [;)] It took Microstuff many unstable OS [you forgot the Blue Screens of Death?) to create a stable OS: Windows 7 that is. Before W7 I certainly abused them big time, as if there was no tomorrow

But when I installed Windows 7 the miracle happened: it does work! And I instantly admitted it to everyone willing to listen. It's called fair play.

Said this, you can guess why many users stick to it... let the vict... errr the other users be guinea pigs. If it does work, eventually jump on that bandwagon [;)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

win7, then 8 and now love 10, as pure gaming platforms go, they keep getting better, and for me windows 10 is the best one released so far, bar none
That's not the point, zak. They shouldn't be using tricky techniques to force Windows 10 installation on anyone.
Several non tech-savvy people phone me on Friday, in panic, because they didn't know what to do. They didn't want to change; some were elderly, they are happy with their Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems...

I wonder if they got the nerve to do this after the free upgrade offer terminates.
Something tells me that it will go on.
That's a shame.
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

I can't see even Microsoft forcing the upgrade on users after July. Telling people that they have a free upgrade even if they didn't want it is one thing. Telling them that they have an upgrade they didn't ask for and that they now have to pay Microsoft £100 for it will definitely end up in court.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If 250 million people jumped off a cliff would you follow them? [:'(]
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

installing the latest version of windows is hardly the same as committing suicide
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

I just upgraded Win 10 last weekend (by my choice). Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had dedicated my entire Saturday expecting all kinds of issues. About an hour or so later I was happily gaming away for the rest of the day. I find it to be nearly identical to Windows 7. Haven't had a single issue or stability problem yet <knocks on wood just to be safe> [:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

if she had cake maybe[;)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

That's not the point, zak. They shouldn't be using tricky techniques to force Windows 10 installation on anyone.
Several non tech-savvy people phone me on Friday, in panic, because they didn't know what to do. They didn't want to change; some were elderly, they are happy with their Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems...

I wonder if they got the nerve to do this after the free upgrade offer terminates.
Something tells me that it will go on.
That's a shame.

support is ending for almost all other versions of windows, yes this has been done wrong i agree, too many mistakes are being made by them with windows 10 and it does put some off, but those like me who think auto fixes are the future.

Apple pushes its first ever silent, automatic security update to Mac OS X to fix bug's back in 2012 then again in 2014, and got the same moans and rightly so, but everyone needs to remember you don't own it, only rent it for use

so what ever they want to do with any version of windows, and Mac is the same is upto them.

but yes think they will back down and alter this update in the future as well, same as auto shared wifi and auto sharing the download on your bandwidth with everyone else, it is developing over time, but on first release nothing is ever perfect but it's getting better, but every now and then, there's a bump, this is just another one[;)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Panman

I just upgraded Win 10 last weekend (by my choice). Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had dedicated my entire Saturday expecting all kinds of issues. About an hour or so later I was happily gaming away for the rest of the day. I find it to be nearly identical to Windows 7. Haven't had a single issue or stability problem yet <knocks on wood just to be safe> [:D]

everyone else has the choice of a free upgrade until July and after that they will have to pay for it when there support runs out, windows xp user are out of the loop and should have upgraded years ago, as more software is no longer supported so no development or testing is done on that platform much now so.

nothing lasts forever, glad you enjoy it Panman, remember now you have done the upgrade, your key for windows 10 for the hardware you have now, (you can change minor parts and it will still work) but if at any time you wish to have a totally clean system, download the ISO of windows 10 you already have and do a clean install, yes you loose all what you have on your system so back it all up, but then you not only get a clean fresh and faster system, you won't have anything left over and then 100% sure a clean new and stable platform to do what you wish on for ages to come, while most don't refresh the windows much at all, for me it's like a car, every now and then it's good to have a full service, so a fresh install for me fixes anything.
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

but everyone needs to remember you don't own it, only rent it for use

Everyone? The reality is that most computer owners aren't even aware of this. No doubt there is a tickbox for those who install operating systems to agree to Microsoft's terms and conditions, but most people buy a PC with the operating system pre-installed, never see and are never told about such technical agreements, never sign any rental agreements, and quite reasonably consider that the complete setup that they have bought and paid for is now theirs to upgrade or not as they decide..
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes like everything it's in the small print, i don't 100% agree with the update practice either, or understand why they needed to do it, but they did mention it was going to happen last October so 2015 as it went from your choice to recommended etc.

you can't install any O/S without agreeing either, same as all software, programs and even games, all have the T&C's.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I like Windows 10 well enough, but when I tried to upgrade my home desktop, I lost all internet access. tried to fix it for about an hour, apparently it is a very common problem, finally rolled it back to Win7. Seems like they'd have paid particular attention to making sure computers didn't lose internet after upgrading, but I guess not...

Return to “General Discussion”