Video or detailed help with The Four Horsemen?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ColonelMolerat

Video or detailed help with The Four Horsemen?

Post by ColonelMolerat »

I've just completed 'The Four Horsemen' official scenario.. But only with a lot of saving and loading (a LOT... about every 30 seconds of in-game time!).

I can get a 'minor victory' if I use the Krasnodar's (?) shipwreck missiles accurately. With a LOT of luck, I can get the speedy sub (the one with 42knots top speed) close enough for a final sprint/spray of torpedoes to take down maybe one or two ships. But the other subs do next to nothing. And a victory from the shipwrecks alone hardly feels like a victory!

I know the normal submarine advice of 'go slow, change depths and change directions', but after almost a week of trying, that only got me to within about 20-30 miles. A fair bit over even the kinematic range of my torpedoes.

The submarines also seem to have a range of strengths - the one with Shipwreck missiles (VERY useful!); the fast one (sort of useful if I'm lucky); one that I think is a little quieter than the rest (it can get almost close before being destroyed) and one that I don't know the point of.

Does anybody have a video of them doing this scenario? Or can they offer some realllly detailed help? Thanks!
mahuja

RE: Video or detailed help with The Four Horsemen?

Post by mahuja »

I haven't "solved" the mission myself yet, FWIW.

A few hints, anyway:

- After playing at least once normally, play the scenario a few times from the editor, frequently turning on the "god's eye view" to see what the enemy are doing. Try winning with it (mostly) on, with an intent to learn how to do it without GEV. The experience you get from seeing what the enemy is doing is valuable. Also, you can switch sides to look at their detections or even mission setup.

If you're doing it for the purpose of learning, then you should not consider it cheaty. Getting "detailed help" on a forum, replaying a mission with the knowledge from a previous attempt, saving and loading a lot, are then just as cheaty, just less efficient. IMO anyway.

- Surface, use radar for a couple minutes, dive and RUN. The alfa is particularly suited because of its high run speed. Watch in GEV how the enemy wants to storm the site. This may thin the net for the other subs. In particular, it may lower the number of asw intercept sorties your enemy sends when the others get detected.

- What's more devastating than a salvo of shipwrecks? A salvo of shipwrecks launched from within ~10nm. Problem being how to get there, of course. But if you can manage that, this move can probably take out half their fleet in one strike.

- Two of your subs have SAMs. If these lurk at periscope depth, they can pop up (surface) as needed to fire these at incoming enemy asw assets. Enemy asw assets being close enough will typically indicate that you've already been detected - else you will be - so there's nothing to lose in shooting them down. This will no doubt bring more of them, and they'll typically send SSMs (like harpoons) in your direction as well (go back down quickly), but at the very least this can pull pressure off of your other subs. (In order to do this, you want to change a couple things in their doctrine. Free vs air, no automatic dive on nearby threat. Maybe also set up a mission to have them pop up and kill automatically.

I had a partly-GEV playthrough where my sub had considerable success shooting down helicopters as it strolled (mostly surfaced) into the enemy formation to torpedo range. Diving countered most enemy attacks (missiles and guns don't do much against subs unless they stay up at just the wrong times), until I ran out of SAMs and helicopters could drop torpedoes close. I went for the ww2-style approach after it was detected anyway, and it was quite surprising how well it worked.

(I'm going to experiment with adding ESSMs to a virginia next.)
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Those are some good ideas. One other is to have sub equipped with high quality ESM sitting passive at Periscope depth - especially when you lite up the radar on another sub. Almost as good as Gods Eye View.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Took me a number of games to beat this during testing. Its a great scenario.

Mike
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Thanks for those tips!
Thanks to the satellites, I never had too much trouble finding the enemy ships, but something to spot their air assets would be handy. I normally only used SAMs as a 'go down in a hail of gunfire' situation.
Using subs to draw attention of the other subs is something I could do more of, too. I really only used the Shipwrecks as distraction, when I could have done so much more.
When you say you 'went for the WW2 approach', is that the old 'creep about and get into their path' tactic?
In my attempts, I don't think I really surfaced, or even went to periscope depth, at all - as a normal part of my strategy at least.
There's a lot to think about here, thanks!

Return to “The War Room”