CTDs on fresh install

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

Mr Digby

CTDs on fresh install

Post by Mr Digby »

Hi guys, really hope someone can help here.

I have just reinstalled SoWWL after a PC upgrade. I have patched via 1.006 to 1.043 both downloaded from Matrix and I have no mods installed at all. I start a corps vs corps hunt them down sandbox on the Die Huegel map and get a CTD. Here is my SOWWL log file:

Game Launched
18:36:03 Version:SOWWL
18:36:09 Ansi:16, TexH:16384, TexW:16384
18:36:09 SowWL Loaded
18:36:09 18:36:09
18:36:58 Loading SandBox
18:36:58 Load your muskets...
18:36:58 18:36:58
18:36:58 Loading SandBox
18:36:58 Loading Map (DH)

I have tried other variants on sandbox, the tutorial and a few scenarios. All CTD without any useful information.

I uninstalled and reinstalled. Same deal. Any help would be good.

Thanks.
zakblood

RE: CTDs on fresh install

Post by zakblood »

lets take a look and see if we can help,

ow to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

ORIGINAL: zakblood
1) We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

2) add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

3) run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

4) please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

5) please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)
1) Attached

2) My AV is ESET NOD32 and it has no feature to add or exclude any exe file. The game ran 100% fine with the same AV before I upgraded the PC (which was more RAM and a new HDD of identical size and manufacturer)

3) Doing so. The User account has full admin rights and I always ran the game before with the same account.

4) I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice. I think I have done it correctly both times.

5) Yes, PC is a new format/OS install and is only 1 week old.

Thanks for the help so far.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(25.58 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

everything seems fine to me tbh,

http://support.eset.com/kb2153/?viewlocale=en_US
please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

have you also done all above ^^ as the game needs the version that comes with it?

for me i'd alter the Bios settings as well to only share 1gb with your video card, which would free up another 3gb for the game and operating system, as 700mb onboard with 1gb shared is more than plenty.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

Try to execute with minimal graphical settings and see if it is executed; if yes, probably like zakblood told the memory reachs a bottleneck, because the card reserve too much memory. Check also the windows event viewer in order to see what error windows signal at the crash moment.
Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

Thanks guys. I am reluctant to play in the BIOS, have never done so before... Is there a control panel within the OS that will let me allocate RAM this way?
make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game

What does this mean exactly? Patches?
the game needs the version that comes with it

Sorry I don't understand what you mean here. The game needs what version that comes with what? (not being awkward just confused)

Mitra - how do I access the Windows Event Viewer?

Mitra - I set all the game options to their most basic level and get the CTD as usual. It happens almost instantly BTW, after about 3 to 5 seconds after I click play scenario, before the game really has time to load anything (see the logfile) so I do not think this is graphics memory related.
mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

Here a event viewer tutorial

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/22 ... s-7-a.html

The section you need to check is the application one.

mitra76

Post by mitra76 »

Check also what leavel of UAC you have: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/

You can think to be admin, but sometime windows block anyway programs; also check to have the admin flag on the exe and
Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

Event viewer is giving me this information for the SOWWL crashes:

"Faulting application name: SOWWL.exe, version: 2.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x563fe3c0
Faulting module name: PowerRender6_8.dll, version: 6.8.0.2, time stamp: 0x563fe438
Exception code: 0xc0000005"

"Faulting application name: SOWWL.exe, version: 2.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x563fe3c0
Faulting module name: PowerRender6_8.dll, version: 6.8.0.2, time stamp: 0x563fe438
Exception code: 0xc0000005"

I have several of these. They correspond to the SOWWL crashes and are all identical.

UAC is set at the second option from the top and that's where I like it. I do not want to reduce it, thanks.
Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

Problem solved! The answer was here:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/nuts-a ... tra76-post

However, NSD, it seems bizarre to release a game in 2015 that only works with a Directx version that is 3 to 4 years old. People buying a new PC cannot run this game. That's madness.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes they can, they just need to load the file that's comes with the game,

having DirectX 12.1 doesn't mean it has DirectX 9 or before either, so older games need these older versions to run, same as anything from the time (pre requisites) mean anything that comes with the game is needed by the game, no matter what version you have, even on a 64bit system, if the game was written in 32bit, both version of some files need to be loaded for some games to work at all, so yes it's odd and strange, but that's backwards compatibility for you[;)]

Return to “Tech Support”