WW1 Naval Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

DonCzirr

RE: WW1 Naval Games

Post by DonCzirr »

Thanks for the confirmation Wodin.

Has anyone tried their : STEAM & IRON : RUSSO-JAPANESE WAR title ?

I've always been interested in learning more about that conflict but there's not been too much gaming material available for it.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

Thanks for the confirmation Wodin.

Has anyone tried their : STEAM & IRON : RUSSO-JAPANESE WAR title ?

I've always been interested in learning more about that conflict but there's not been too much gaming material available for it.

Yes, for the most part it follows the same concept as SAI-WWI, not as epic as far as ship count goes but still fun! The big difference is that the base and campaign are sold together for RJW. You also get a scenario for the Spanish-Ameican war and will quickly learn why there are no naval games for that war.

The campaign has quite a few twists for either the Russian or Japanese player. The Japanese need to decisively defeat the 1st Pacific fleet before the arrival of the 2nd Pacific (Baltic) fleet. Conversely, the Russians need to decide when they can abandon Port Arthur and send an intact 1st fleet to Vladivostok and wait for the arrival of the 2nd. Both sides are interesting.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Excellent - thanks for the information old Sarge - my shopping list grows longer and longer ....

Seems the game community is still active too - no dead forums:

NWS Forum
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Yup. Forums and mods are still active. I posted on there a few times when I recently bought SAI + campaign
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
CV60

Post by CV60 »

Shameless plug here: To illustrate the use of wargames to teach, I'm doing an AAR refighting the war in the North Sea, using the Steam and Iron campaign game. The AAR is here:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16935.0
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

I remember buying the original Steam & Iron after a great review I found on the "old" Wargamer.

http://old.wargamer.com/article/3179/pc ... econd-look

Some info in this review is obsolete, but not much. After the first game I basically bought on sight everything else NWS published for this line. I was never disappointed.

I always wondered why Matrix never challenged NWS on the tactical naval warfare genre (WWI and WWII - of course for the modern era they have Harpoon and Command).
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Word of advice: stay away from Stormeagle and their crap DRM. Dumbest move Nork Koger ever made was to inject extremely draconian DRM into those two naval games. I've installed Jutland and washed my hands of them. They lost many potential customers because of it too.

They say my copy doesn't run because of my AV but I don't buy that. Their DRM is a clusterf*&k is the issue.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Runs fine for me.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Codete

Post by Codete »

Me as well.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

It's also off line playable.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

Yea, yea, I got it running finally after jumping through hoops. Just go read their forum and you will see much gnashing of teeth. Many people on Usenet aboslutely refused to buy it because of the DRM, I gave them benefit of the doubt and regret doing so. Like I said, I will never buy another product from them unless it has zero DRM. IMO, Norm and the guy from Talonsoft dun goofed.
wodin

Post by wodin »

ALL NWS Naval games S&I, S&I Campaign, S&I RJW and Rule the Waves have been reviewed over on my website:) Click my signature link:)

Return to “General Discussion”