Somebody at the Dock can't count

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

scout1

Somebody at the Dock can't count

Post by scout1 »

created an amphib TF to load up an IJA Inf. Div. at a major port on the Home Islands. 7 AP's initially to start the load.
Div required 14,130 troop and 6925 cargo. TF screen tells me I have 17,300ish troop and 7900ish cargo space.

Go to the Select and load troop screen and it tells me the TF has 17,300ish troop space and 5800ish cargo space and won't load the Div.

Puzzled I go to transfer additional ships to the TF and it again tells me I have the 7900ish cargo space already ...
None of the ships are damaged.

Is this a ....

Old issue that I never noticed with AE ?
Is as coded and has some knockdown factor which again I didn't take note of ?
Issue with the latest Beta (which I'm running)
Issue with the Mod I just started (BTS Lite) ? ... grand Mod btw
Other ?

[&:][&:][&:]
BBfanboy

RE: Somebody at the Dock can't count

Post by BBfanboy »

You need at least 3X the cargo space to make up for the fact that you cannot stack vehicles and guns in the holds. The cargo figure given is based only on the weight of the devices in the unit, but (I believe) there is a behind-the-scenes calculation of unusable cargo space based on the type of device.

PS - even with 3X the cargo allocation, you can still get a lot of stuff left behind, usually the non-combat vehicles. I use 3.5 times the cargo requirement if things are tight, and if I have more ships I go to 4 or 5X. You need space for supplies too.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

If you're loading an amphib TF I would presume you'd like to land sufficient supplies for it so you don't have to fiddle with it for a while.  Don't try to get too cute.  Always use more ships than you think you need.  The problem comes when you're mounting an amphib operation from a base that doesn't have enough supply to begin with.  As Sofia Vergara would say, "I know, Don't do that!"

scout1

Post by scout1 »

Not trying to argue the more supply capacity the better ... But am confused as to why the cargo capacity numbers change between the TF screen and the Load troops screen .....
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: scout1

Not trying to argue the more supply capacity the better ... But am confused as to why the cargo capacity numbers change between the TF screen and the Load troops screen .....

It's simple. Trust no one. [:D]

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

If you're trying to load an amphib TF the game won't do the math for you.  You need more capacity.  Try not to scrimp and save, that leads to frustration.

edit: Both the troops loaded in amphibious mode and the supplies loaded likewise take a lot more room, and you are expected to figure that out before you mount an operation. You can't lose (or it's rare) by using extra capacity for more reasons than I gave already. Your TF may be interdicted by subs, surface TFs or air units, and losing ships is a lot less painful if your payload is spread among more ships. Just get your wallet back out and pull some bills from the one's and five's compartment. Don't pull any plastic, they didn't take that in WWII.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I am not sure if the AI could have applied the 20% capacity reduction for Amphib loading on displaying the TF capacity - it doesn't seem to do that to the troop load, but a bunk is a bunk and amphib loading may not reduce troop capacity.

The other thing to check is whether one or more ships already has some cargo loaded, or if some of their capacity is dedicated to a fuel tank (although these are typically only 200 out of the ship capacity for the allies - the Japanese may have more dual purpose cargo/fuel carriers).

As always, posting pictures of the relevant screens can help with sorting out the problem.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You don't need 3x the capacity, but you do need extra. Amphibious load will only load the ships to 80%, and then you need to account for the minimum supplies for the unit as well. For a division with 5800 cargo load, I would say you'd need about 10K cargo space on the transports - unless you're using only a few ships (like the xAPs with large troop but very low cargo space), in which case I'd go to 11-12K. If you're using many (10-12 or more) ships, you could use maybe around 9K cargo space.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

TF window ....

Attachments
20160520_20h05_51.jpg
20160520_20h05_51.jpg (120.27 KiB) Viewed 85 times
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Load Troop Window

Attachments
20160520_20h06_54.jpg
20160520_20h06_54.jpg (70.31 KiB) Viewed 85 times
scout1

Post by scout1 »

why did the cargo load numbers change between screens ?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Because 5811 is 80% precisely of 7268

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

This. I don't know why the troop number doesn't similarly decrease.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Didn't know gorns could do math.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Apparently they can't. 80% of 7268 is 5814.4 precisely ..... close though

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Apparently they can't. 80% of 7268 is 5814.4 precisely ..... close though

Yes, and hoosiers from South Bend don't know how to keep their retorts out of the original quotes. Not that I've never done that.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I toured a fiberglass factory making tub/showers in I think, Elkhart. In that area they make whatever you want out of fiberglass, but you need remember to stop huffing the fumes. Anyways, I was unable to keep my mind on business because I was just stunned by all the trailer trash babes working in that factory. I think my tongue was dragging on the floor. I just couldn't believe that the ratio of babes to non-babes was 100 to 0.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Because there are no stacking issues with people - they space designed for each of them on the troop ships is the space they occupy whether they are in combat mode or strategic mode.
Equipment in Strategic mode for Transport TFs is packed and crated so it can be stacked, but not so for Amphib TFs where equipment must be ready to go.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Because one screen shows the cargo capacity, the other the calculated load cost. Former is just cargo space related, latter tells you how much of x fits into y.

Just because you create an amphib TF that does not change the cargo space per se. It is the method of how the cargo is packed that changes the variable. Hence the difference between screens.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Because there are no stacking issues with people - they space designed for each of them on the troop ships is the space they occupy whether they are in combat mode or strategic mode.
Equipment in Strategic mode for Transport TFs is packed and crated so it can be stacked, but not so for Amphib TFs where equipment must be ready to go.

Except that an Amphibious TF only loads up to 80%, and the game appears to be taking this into account for the cargo space by showing the available space as only 80% of the actual total, while troop space is still at 100%. Even though it will only load up to 80%.

This might be a small UI bug/inconsistency.

Edit: Likewise, I've noticed that in some instances loading stops at 92% (I think Transport? Maybe that's just when loading non-troops and non-supplies into cargo space on transport...such as fuel or oil or resources), while Cargo always goes to 100%.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”