Released or in Early Access?

Sovereignty: Crown of Kings is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It offers a intuitive yet deep province system, allowing you to raise armies, conduct diplomacy, scout enemy battle lines, rally heroes to your banner, send them on quests, cast spells and go to war. In Sovereignty, the player chooses one of 35 Realms in a bid for dominance of the map. Play is conducted in a series of turns as a single player game. Each Realm has a unique culture and history, which translates directly into different play-styles. Each realm has its own mix of unit types and spell trees. Their diplomatic relations, economies and histories vary. A player may choose a new realm and experience the game in a very different way. Fantasy heroes, troops, races and spells complement the rise to power.
solops

Released or in Early Access?

Post by solops »

Is this game released or still in Early Access? The product page says that it has a Release Date: 9 APR 2015. But, the same page also says it is still in Steam Early Access....totally ambiguous. It can be one or the other, not both.

All the patches are 1.x, implying that the game is out of beta and has indeed been released. That is common practice, but certainly not a law.

Also, I want to get the game from Matrix, I DO NOT want a Steam version. What is the story on that? The confusing blurb that contradicts the Release Date also says:
"For the duration of the Early Access, you can buy direct from us to get a Steam key now. We will be releasing a stand alone version without Steam protection when the game leaves early access. If you buy a Steam key now, you'll also get this version for free!"

Not sure what all that means when I cannot tell if the game is officially released or not. Some judicious editing of the product page would remove ambiguity.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
budd

RE: Released or in Early Access?

Post by budd »

still in early access, from all accounts will be in early access for awhile.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
solops

Post by solops »

Well, then I'll wait to get it. If the beta was out in a non-Steam format, I'd go ahead and try it.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Breca

Post by Breca »

This is confirmed. We are in Early Access and will be for several more months.

The first major update will be a full conversion of the code base to OpenGL, which should result in greater stability and performance game-wide. Along the way to that first big update, we are targeting bug fixes and specific features. EA 1.8 adds the new Irregulars unit class. (Classes comprise categories such as Cavalry, Infantry, Siege, Archer and Naval.

Once OpenGL is released, we will have much greater freedom to add "new stuff."

We're certainly happy to hear that people want to wait for the final product. We're likewise extremely grateful to those early adopters of Early Access. It's in Early Access that players have tremendous input on features/improvements still going into the game. We read each and every forum post for input on what's in the game, and what could be in the game.

Good Hunting!

Breca
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Open Graphics Library just doesn't only offer better and higher performance, but also multi-platform so can be ported quicker and easier to, so it's win win for all
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
gsol69

Post by gsol69 »

I am enjoying the game in EA quite a bit. I believe it would add a lot to variety and replayability if you could recruit units native to the province that you captured, instead of limiting your recruitment pool to just your factions own units.
This would also make other resources potentially more important as they would be needed to recruit those additional unit types.
Keep up the good work!
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

Been watching this game on the back burner for a while, can anyone tell me, is there a time span for coming out of steam early access to full release yet. ?
"Personal isn't the same as important"
budd

Post by budd »

I'm sure the developer will come along but i believe they said defiantly this year, don't think they gave a month.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

**budd** is right. On the steam site they said they were shooting for this year. They are still working on play balance issues and other minor stuff.
No problem Chief!
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

thanks to you both for the info, I'll look in again in a couple of months.

Cheers
OvB
"Personal isn't the same as important"

Return to “Sovereignty: Crown of Kings”