Game Slowness

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

benway9

Game Slowness

Post by benway9 »

I have noticed something strange since I installed the most recent patch. The game seems to be running very slowly during various phases. Prior to the patch the AI defensive fire during my movement phase was quick and practically immediate. However, since the patch it is very slow and when I click anywhere on the screen it gives me the pop-up menu asking me to either close the program or wait for the program to respond. This never occurred prior to the patch ever. I was only wondering if I was the only one experiencing this phenomenon or if it was just perhaps my PC. Are there any settings I need to change after the patch is installed? I do not recall this ever happening prior to the patch. Please advise.
Gerry4321

RE: Game Slowness

Post by Gerry4321 »

I have noticed slowness as well.
genesismwt

Post by genesismwt »

me three
The game is afoot!

Mike
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Make sure you have the Sound FX button unselected in the icon bar. This makes the game faster
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
dranck

Post by dranck »

Me four. Sound effects are disabled, but there still does appear to be slowness in certain segments. In my case, the lower left panel turns white while AI is doing things like firing.
Imagine you are in a room with 3 switches. In an adjacent room there are 3 bulbs (all are off at the moment), each switch belongs to one bulb. It is impossible to see from one room to another. How can you find out which switch belongs to which bulb, if y
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

The game AI, and unit pathfinding are two of the most demanding tasks in the game. So of course playing on smaller map and fewer units is less demanding on CPU until I find a way how to utilize GPU power :D
dranck

Post by dranck »

Peter -

This is a great game and you are doing a wonderful job! It's the game I've wanted to play since the 80's.

Thank you for letting us in on your passion.

Thanks,

Dave
Imagine you are in a room with 3 switches. In an adjacent room there are 3 bulbs (all are off at the moment), each switch belongs to one bulb. It is impossible to see from one room to another. How can you find out which switch belongs to which bulb, if y
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: dranck

Peter -

This is a great game and you are doing a wonderful job! It's the game I've wanted to play since the 80's.

Thank you for letting us in on your passion.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks a lot Dave for your support :) I'm glad you are having fun with it, I'm enjoying working on it...when I have some spare time.
sstratto

Post by sstratto »

Peter,

It feels like the AI is almost stuck in a loop sometimes during the moving phase - much, much slower than before. It does seem to get out of the loop. I am noticing it in my test of the Pershing scenario (#3) which doesn't have that many units (and little pathfinding for Germans on defense). Defensive fire (both during movement and in the phase) is very slow as well (much slower than pre-patch).

Also, a very long lag between seeing combat results in the box and then on screen (well over a second in a couple of cases - my poor guys got smoked).

I have turned off sound and it doesn't really make a difference in these issues.

Hopefully this/our feedback helps you identify the challenge that has significantly slowed the processing of the game.

Running this in Windows 10 with an Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.6 GHz, 8 GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000

Noticed same issue on my desktop running Windows 7 - don't have all the specs with me now.
DamienThompson

Post by DamienThompson »

I am getting a similar problem also on i5 Processor. System specs shouldn't be a problem. Game freezes or crashes during AI moves and defensive fire segments, screen goes white and I get a message saying game has stopped responding. Sometimes it returns to normal but other times will kick out to windows.
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

The Game does not freeze, it just takes a bit longer sometimes for the AI do its work. As I mentioned above, the faster the CPU the better the game performance, the AI and pathfinding are very demanding on theCPU. The Graphics card has direct impact on Line of Sight and Fog of War Processing because the game calculates LOS and FOW down to a pixel level.
sstratto

Post by sstratto »

Peter - was there that much of a change in the update that would explain such a change in performance? I did not have this level of delay/slowness in the game previously? I have the same issue on my desktop and it has more RAM and dedicated graphics card.

Thanks again.

Stan
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

lets take a look and maybe over some solutions etc with it, as it's just guess work without,

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
sstratto

Post by sstratto »

Zakblood - thanks for your post. I have attached the information.

My questions really is, was there so much of a change in the update to change the game's performance? Pre-update, it ran well on this machine. Post update, it is markedly slower.

Thanks
Attachments
DxDiagreport.txt
(95.63 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

wouldn't have thought so tbh,

Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MBtoo low
Shared Memory: 1760 MB

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

8192MB RAM on window 10 64bit pro / laptop

8gb of ram, -2gb for shared video, no GPU, so onchip version, so CPU and GPU combined, even a low end GPU would help, but also not possible in a laptop once bought for most, CPU is light, plus once doing GPU work as well, it slows down the whole system.

most error log reports are from apps like OUTLOOK.EXE and Chrome etc, not game related.

my advice is this,

clean up what's running at startup, so have as little as possible, to free up as much cpu and memory you have, then re try it...

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

good luck
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

There were some LOS engine fixes that will increase the CPU load
For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus
UP844

Post by UP844 »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just played "Hube's Pocket" and I noticed that when unit move, the game runs much slower during the very first moves (10 to 15 seconds before a unit moves into the intended hex). In the mid-game (with approximately the same number of units in play) it seems to flow faster (the delay is unnoticeable).

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Trying to play siege of Budapest and its no go. Takes over 1 minute to move a tank one hex!

Machine running so slow game is unplayable.
Ran fine, much faster before the last update.

dxdiag attached.

Attachments
DxDiag52116.txt
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
Paullus

Post by Paullus »

Try lowering the Daylight Visibility in the scenario to decrease the workload of the LOS engine.

You have to do this in the scenario editor. You'll find the Daylight Visibility in the scenario attributes.
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: UP844
Maybe I'm wrong, but I just played "Hube's Pocket" and I noticed that when unit move, the game runs much slower during the very first moves (10 to 15 seconds before a unit moves into the intended hex). In the mid-game (with approximately the same number of units in play) it seems to flow faster (the delay is unnoticeable).
I glad to hear that! ...I've been running into the opposite (slower later) and I was almost certain there was a memory leak. But your info tells me it is not that... We may just need the physicists to hurry up and invent that so-called "quantum computer" (with parallel universe processing)). *grin*
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

Return to “Tech Support”